cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If eBay ads say get rid of your stuff here but limits us to 10 items, what’s the point?

bktime
Thrill-Seeker

Instead of donating or putting in a garage sale our nicer things, we just created a separate eBay account for listing all those things because as we’re spring cleaning naturally we are eager to find new homes for those things. BUT, much to our surprise, after only 10 listings, thinking we were going to have 50 we set about photographing our first 30 items for listing, only to be met with a 10 listing limit! What? If this is where we are to get rid of our nicer no-longer needed things, why in the world would we want them sitting in the foyer for the next 6 months? We wouldn’t. This isn’t Amazon; its eBay. Right?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If eBay ads say get rid of your stuff here but limits us to 10 items, what’s the point?

bktime
Thrill-Seeker

Okay, am marking this as resolved. Thank you all for engaging with me on this; I took your advice and here’s the update, FYI.

Called CS, they were great. They were able to look at my other account (my store) and based on that I was able to get the number of listings increased for this new account. Also, they walked me through how to switch back to the “classic” screens so I can remove and change all of those defaults before I list. HOWEVER, once listed, I was not able to go in and change the good till cancelled to 30 days as I normally list. The only way to get rid of all those would be to end the listings and relist them, but that would count 10 against my 50 freebies for the month. So, I’m just going to let them ride, I guess. Not sure what else to do there. BUT, at least I was able to get the listing limit increased, which was the primary goal. Thank you all for your suggestions, encouragement, and engagement! Resolved!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Are you a seasoned seller that just choose to have a separate selling account for these items?  That makes a difference.

If you are a brand new seller to Ebay, Ebay has certain rules for new sellers.  Like any other job that you have never done before, you need to learn how to do the job and learn the rules and responsibilities that go along with it.

These rules are in place for very good reasons.  If Ebay allowed people to sign up, seller whatever they wanted, at whatever prices they could get for whatever they were selling, then these seller made sales, collected the money and just strung the buyers along in regards to shipping.  They'd do that for as long as they thought they could get away with it while continuing to make sales and collecting money.  Then just before they would get shut down by Ebay, the pull all their money out of PayPal and run.

The rules prevent this from happening.  So pick your best items, list them, hopefully sell them.  Then keep doing that and every 30 days you can call Ebay and ask for your limits to be raised.  

Just be patient.  We all had to start somewhere.  You have lots to learn as a seller.  It is not as easy as listing, selling and shipping.  There are many things in between and after.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Yes, seasoned seller, just opened second account because my store is category specific and I don’t want to mix my other things there. AND, even more frustrating, just sold a pair of my designer shoes and would love to list more of my little clothes & shoes since obviously buyers are interested ... and so on and so forth 🐵
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@bktime wrote:
Yes, seasoned seller, just opened second account because my store is category specific and I don’t want to mix my other things there. AND, even more frustrating, just sold a pair of my designer shoes and would love to list more of my little clothes & shoes since obviously buyers are interested ... and so on and so forth 🐵

So much easier.  Monday morning call Ebay.  Explain this to them.  They will likely lift the restrictions for you.

The last time I opened an additional selling account, they did that for me.  It was really easy.  And your PP payments shouldn't get held either.  Make sure you bring that up.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

If you have a selling history on another account, and this is just to separate items, you may be able to link the two accounts and that would help you as you could show you are established.

But if you are a new seller, there are limits.  But as you build a history of successfully completed transactions, your limits will be raised.  Generally after three months, you are considered for this, although I have also read that you can call each month and request that your limits be raised.  There is, however, no guarantee that they will raise them just because you asked them to.

Ebay doesn't want anyone to get in over their head, buyers or sellers, and that is where limits come into play.  

You are just that much ahead by having already taken pictures.  You might want to familiarize yourself with Ebay policies regarding selling, and this Board is a great place to learn the ins and outs of selling.  Read all you can, there is even a Selling Tutorial you can take.  Knowledge of how Ebay works will help you navigate any issues that may come up.  

Good luck to you and I wish you much success in your selling endeavors!

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

@bktime wrote:

I now see that you are a seasoned seller, that will help you get your limits raised.  You might call Ebay with this information.  That would prove very helpful for you.

Sounds like you have the advantage, and are off to a good start!

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Except I think I just got scammed with that shoe sale. I normally list buy it now (never auction), but on this new account I thought I put the shoes in as auction with a starting bid of $88. The offer came in at $175. I accepted. But now just realized I’d clicked the buy it now and had wrongly put in $88 as the buy it now instead of starting bid. So, why would someone offer $175 if I screwed up and listed it as buy it now at $88??? And when I looked at the buyer, shows they just created the account yesterday, ugh. I’ll call CS in the morning, hopefully I didn’t get scammed. Ugh ugh ugh. First sale on the new account.
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

It could be, sorry to say.  Why would anyone offer $175.00 when they could have bought it for $88.00?  No reason for that.   You have a new account and you know that some hope that a new seller will make mistakes that they can take advantage of, sadly~like shipping without making sure you have been paid.  

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I’m more chagrined at my own naïveté! As a seasoned seller, I should know better! The screens and formats are completely foreign to me on the new account compared to my store account. Its confusing and very constraining. Trying to manage two accounts on one device is going to be challenging ha. I have my store on the app, but have to use the website for this new account. I’m having second thoughts about this being a good idea LOL.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@bktime wrote:

I’m more chagrined at my own naïveté! As a seasoned seller, I should know better! The screens and formats are completely foreign to me on the new account compared to my store account. Its confusing and very constraining. Trying to manage two accounts on one device is going to be challenging ha. I have my store on the app, but have to use the website for this new account. I’m having second thoughts about this being a good idea LOL.

You can fix this easy enough.  You are using the Quick List Tool [QLT].  On your regular selling account you are likely using the Advanced Listing Form [ALF].  Next time look on the upper right side of your screen, you should have an option to change to ALF.  Do that and your problems will be solved in regards to this issue.

New sellers are automatically given the QLT.  It leaves a lot out and it forces your listings into certain perimeters that Ebay feels are best for new sellers.  Not necessarily the same opinion of other sellers to be sure.  But you can get away from it to use the form you are likely far more familiar with.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@bktime wrote:

@bktime 

I hit the same thing when I opened a second selling account, not too long ago: low # of items and low$ value limits.

I called eBay and what they will need to do is "confirm you!"  So BEFORE you call them, make sure you have ALL of the same info on both accounts: same name, same spelling (not Richard on one & Dick on the other), same address, same phone number, etc.  The ONLY thing that can be different (has to be) is a second email address.  

THEN eBay is going to try to confirm who you are using their access to a Lexus/Nexus database service.  IF they can find you then you should be able to get the same limits on the new account as the old one.  IF there is any glitch, eBay will probably raise your limits some what.  Then after you have sold from the new account, call back a month later and ask for increased limits.  My second account got bumped up to 100 items and $5K limit even thought the dBase was down or could not find me.

So give this a whirl and see what happens!

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

bktime
Thrill-Seeker

Okay, am marking this as resolved. Thank you all for engaging with me on this; I took your advice and here’s the update, FYI.

Called CS, they were great. They were able to look at my other account (my store) and based on that I was able to get the number of listings increased for this new account. Also, they walked me through how to switch back to the “classic” screens so I can remove and change all of those defaults before I list. HOWEVER, once listed, I was not able to go in and change the good till cancelled to 30 days as I normally list. The only way to get rid of all those would be to end the listings and relist them, but that would count 10 against my 50 freebies for the month. So, I’m just going to let them ride, I guess. Not sure what else to do there. BUT, at least I was able to get the listing limit increased, which was the primary goal. Thank you all for your suggestions, encouragement, and engagement! Resolved!

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Well, dang it, can’t find where to mark it as resolved. LOL. Anyone know?
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Well, how about your shoes story? Smiley LOL

latest reply

@bktime wrote:
Well, dang it, can’t find where to mark it as resolved. LOL. Anyone know?

Locate the posting that you want to mark as the one you consider solving the issue at hand.  On the bottom left side of that posting you will see something like Mark As Resolution or solved or something like that.  It will be in bold print.  Click on it and that posting will be marked as the one that solved things for you.

I'm so glad this worked out.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply