cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INR for Return To Sender due to Insufficient Address - What to do?

$125 item. Ebay shipping label (didn't change anything). Purchased on 1/24/23 and I shipped via Priority Mail on 1/25/23. First time buyer (created account same day as purchase) gave a very insufficient address (incomplete street name and house number is their zipcode). I didn't notice the bad address at the time (how am I supposed to know the buyer's address). The USPS is currently in the process of doing a Return To Sender due to Insufficient Address. I have not received the package back yet.

Today the buyer opens an INR (no messages prior). So I enter the tracking number into the INR and a message about how the package is being Return To Sender due to the Insufficient Address the buyer gave to Ebay. What should I do now? Ebay policy states that RTS due to Insufficient Address is NOT covered by the MBG...but the INR says that the buyer IS covered by the MBG.

So what should I do? Do nothing and let buyer escalate (will Ebay adhere to their own written policy concerning insufficient address)? Escalate myself when given the chance? Will I get a defect if Ebay steps in and rules in favor of the buyer even though that would go against their own written policy? Help please.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

@modulok! wrote:

So what should I do?

Advice going forward..........

Switch to a Postage provider that verifies every address to ensure they are valid. Stamps.com, Pirateship, Shippo and others ALL do this by default, eBay is one of the few places where you can print shipping labels with invalid addresses.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Pretty sure if the buyer provides a insufficient address,  it's on them and not covered in mbg, as iv seen that screen shot in these threads a time or 2..

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

I think you just cancel and mark problem with address or hit the report buyer and state buyer gave incorrect address..

I'd probably do both.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

No way I am refunding anything until I have the item back in my possession.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@anjofak wrote:

I think you just cancel and mark problem with address or hit the report buyer and state buyer gave incorrect address..

I'd probably do both.

??? 

A Seller CANNOT CANCEL an INR return. Anyway; in the INR simply put the tracking number. Ebay will let you know what to do and when.

Do NOT, under ANY circumstances- Escalate anything! If ebay says to 'refund'- then you refund. But, again- start with inputting the tracking number into the place where the 'return case' wants you to. 

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

The first thing I did was enter the tracking number into the INR

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Why not escalate myself, since it SHOULD be ruled in my favor due to buyer giving Ebay a VERY insufficient address (as stated in Ebay written policy)?  The buyer should not be covered by the MBG in this case.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Because

a.) there is nothing to escalate- they asked, you answered

b.) any time a seller 'escalates' the system just awards the buyer

c.) Written Policy and experience in the real world reality are 2 different things. Heed the warning. 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

I cannot find a way to report the buyer for giving a bad address.  Under the Tell Us What Happened heading, there is not an option that pertains to a buyer giving a bad address.  So it seems it is not reportable.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

This is an unclaimed, refused,  Undeliverable package
EBay's policy on refused purchases is that the seller is not required to refund.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

So you just made $125 and still have the item to resell.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@modulok! wrote:

I cannot find a way to report the buyer for giving a bad address.  Under the Tell Us What Happened heading, there is not an option that pertains to a buyer giving a bad address.  So it seems it is not reportable.

No need to if you explained this in the INR case.

TRACKING NUMBER: 1234567890

COMMENTS: Per the tracking, delivery was attempted but the address was invalid.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@modulok! wrote:

$125 item. Ebay shipping label (didn't change anything). Purchased on 1/24/23 and I shipped via Priority Mail on 1/25/23. First time buyer (created account same day as purchase) gave a very insufficient address (incomplete street name and house number is their zipcode). I didn't notice the bad address at the time (how am I supposed to know the buyer's address). The USPS is currently in the process of doing a Return To Sender due to Insufficient Address. I have not received the package back yet.

If tracking shows that the package is being returned to you, then don't refund until you receive it back.

That said, I'm wondering how you could print an address through eBay that's as far off as you describe. The Ship-To: address received with the payment IS validated against the USPS database at the time you attempt to purchase the label. This is how, for example, a 5-digit ZIP shown with the payment becomes a 9-digit ZIP+4 when the label appears.

The buyer's eBay account address (i.e. what they type in when setting up their account) might be botched or incomplete (e.g. you're seeing a street number in the ZIP code field), but if their Ship-To: address was that far off, it would not validate through USPS, and thus the system would not know what to charge for the label since the address could not be verified.

Given the length of time that the package has been traveling, it sounds like the address might have been valid but incomplete at the buyer's end, such as providing a valid street address but not an apartment number. The carrier isn't going to squint at every name on every mailbox in the lobby; he's just going to scan it as Undeliverable and send it back to you.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Just because eBay isn't  ethical doesn't  mean the OP should not be ethical, too.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I don't want the item AND the money.  I'm an honest person and I just want to be made whole (I don't want to just eat the $13 postage or the over $19 in Ebay fees for something that is completely the buyer's fault AND not covered by the MBG).  Besides, the buyer would just do a chargeback and win if they didn't get either the item or the money back and that would cost me an extra $20 on top of a full refund.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply