cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INR case not escalated to eBay closed due to inactivity but buyer refunded?!

Hi,

I just had an INR case that was closed due to inactivity. The eBay message read:

"We closed this request since there's been no activity for 21 days. As a result, the hold on this transaction has been removed. You don't need to do anything else--we wanted to keep you updated."

In fact this message was sent to me on Sep 9, and the original case was opened on Aug 10 with the last activity being Aug 11 by myself telling the seller the item is still in the mail and within the normal delivery time for registered surface mail as shipped. So it appears to have rather been 30 days and not 21 days of inactivity.

Now, two days later, on Sep 11 I suddenly get a message saying that eBay has refunded the buyer based on the buyer protection guarantee because I have agreed to a refund?!

What is this? I most certainly did not agree to a refund...

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I looked at eBay's policy on INR cases and it looks like the only way to protect yourself is to provide tracking information within 3 business days of an INR case being opened if you hadn't done so already.

To be protected, tracking must be from one of eBay's integrated carriers and must include the date the item was shipped; the date it was delivered and the address it was delivered to. If you don't have or don't provide this information then the buyer could get a refund including original shipping costs per eBay's policy below:

Refund the buyer: The buyer will get a full refund, including the original shipping costs. Choose this option if you don't have tracking details from one of our integrated shipping carriers showing the item was delivered to the address on the order, or showing the package has been in transit without movement for 7 days or more (10 for international deliveries).

If the buyer did not receive the item and you did not refund the buyer their money or work out some other agreement such as allowing additional time for item to be delivered due to carrier delays it appears that a buyer can request eBay to step in to help after 3 business days. 

This shipping delay by carriers is creating a mess and in instances like this sellers are the ones who pay the price.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I know perfectly well that I need to provide tracking information, and it was provided both in the original transaction and in the case notes. Of course there is no tracking updates while sea mail is on a ship for 4-6 weeks at sea, so if escalated to eBay they will decide the case in buyer's favour.

The whole point is that the case was never escalated to eBay and hence closed due to inactivity. Why did eBay decide to refund the buyer 2 days after the case was closed and had not been escalated for eBay resolution?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Why did eBay decide to refund the buyer 2 days after the case was closed and had not been escalated for eBay resolution?

I was only guessing as to why eBay did what they did but to get a definitive answer contact eBay and speak to one of their reps. They should be able to answer your question and I hope you would share that information since it will be helpful and important for other sellers to know as well.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply