cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought eBay covered sellers for INR requests when USPS shows item "Delivered"?

Believe me, I searched the forums for this and went off on several tangents that turned out to be time sucks.  But anyway.  I have a buyer that opened an INR case today, while USPS shows the package was delivered yesterday.  I **thought** that I read somewhere that once USPS scans an item as delivered, the seller is covered for INR purposes.  I am lost on how to handle this, because I certainly am not enthusiastic about losing a $40 item AND $40 in revenue.  Please advise and thanks.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I thought eBay covered sellers for INR requests when USPS shows item "Delivered"?

They do; if you used tracking and tracking shows it delivered a buyer can still open an 'INR' case; you simply answer with the tracking number (that shows it's delivered). The case will eventually (when??) close in your favor. 

Did a case NOT close in your favor?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I certainly am not enthusiastic about losing a $40 item AND $40 in revenue

How did you lose the case so fast?

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I send the buyer the tracking number?  The email that I got from eBay says, "To resolve the request, please confirm tracking details. If you don't have tracking details that show delivery, please consider refunding the buyer."  Unfortunately, there are no further details provided in that email about how to send a confirmation of the tracking details.  

The case was just opened a few hours ago.  First one that I have had in my limited time as a seller.  I most definitely used USPS tracking, which shows the item was delivered yesterday.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Janet, I haven't lost it yet...it was just initiated a few hours ago.  I just don't know how to resolve it.  

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

You don't have to send it to the buyer, you just upload it into the case.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

That sounds easy...I'll go see if I can figure out how to do that.  Thanks!

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I've had several recently.  Just put the tracking number in your response.  They've all eventually closed in my favor. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Is this result when it is done correctly?

dnr tracking.PNG

I appreciate all of the help, y'all.  Some of this stuff is NOT intuitive at all!

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@refdef wrote:

That sounds easy...I'll go see if I can figure out how to do that.  Thanks!

After you post the tracking information to the INR request/claim there is one more step......

Contact the buyer and offer the usual suggestions (check with other residents, check with neighbors, check with local Post Office.

In many if not most situations of this type buyer file claim because they did not in fact get the item.

1 - It might have been delivered to the wrong address

2 - It might have been stolen from their mailbox

3 - someone else in the same household may have set the item aside but forgot to mention it

4 - carrier may have miss-scanned and it will be delivered tomorrow

5 - One of another (many) possibilities that would lead the buyer to think that they did not receive the package in spite of the tracking showed delivery.

Although you have protection due to the delivery scan following up with the buyer is all part of the job. Even if the buyer doesn't ever get their item or money back offering support to them might prevent them from thinking "last time I ever use eBay, I didn't get my order and "they" didn't want to help me at all" Potentially another lost buyer on eBay...

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

A) Respond to the case.  "Item was shipped on time. and tracking shows it was delivered."

B) Upload the tracking number to the case. 

C) Sit back and have a beer.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

To add to what @slippinjimmy  said, I usually ask if they have cluster mailboxes.  If so, it is really common that pkgs accidentally get put in the wrong one (or more accurately, the key is left for the wrong person).  They can check with their carrier & they may remember which box it was put in or can check in all the boxes easily (there's usually 1 big door that opens to show everything).  If it's been a few days & that's happened it's not unusual for a neighbor to bring it over.   Of course it depends on their 'hood.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@refdef wrote:

I have a buyer that opened an INR case today, while USPS shows the package was delivered yesterday. 

One other possibility @refdef is that

- the item wasn't actually delivered yesterday,

- because the carrier just scanned it delivered after 7 pm

- when they ran out of time for the day,

- and it will be actually delivered today.

Another clue is that the "Delivered" doesn't say where it was delivered, which it usually does.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Tracking has improved over time with USPS. It used to be that "Delivery Confirmation" meant that the item was "Delivered", but the fact was, that scan didn't ensure that the package was actually delivered to the correct address. I think now they have GPS information linked with the scans now, not sure on that, but it's my understanding they can look into that if there is an issue with a customer claiming they didn't receive a package. This would go a long way to resolving where the package might have ended up from there.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I sell silver and other coin related items. I add signature required for $2.90 cost for most items over $50.00. 

I also rarely ever do free shipping, but add enough to the shipping cost to cover the $2.90. Seems to me more buyers are worried about the price they pay than the shipping cost. I usually, close around 500 or more auctions per year and not very often do packages go astray.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply