cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think this is a scam?

Buyer (0 feedback) sent me an offer that was the same as my asking price, so odd. I accepted, then received a message saying they tried to pay but it didn’t work and asked if I could please them feedback so they could try to pay again. I’m sure this is a scam, but unsure what the purpose is- just to get feedback?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I think this is a scam?

Feedback cannot be changed after it is left. So a buyer who has no intention of paying might lie to you, so that later you won't be able to leave a comment about him not paying.  He might not realize that you can leave a followup comment.

Also, how on earth could feedback make a difference? This buyer is confused and confusing. Ignore the request and mark your calendar for canceling the transaction when he hasn't paid within 4 days (unless of course you're set up to do this automatically).

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I think this is a scam?

@cindys-minis 

Yes, Cindy...Total scam attempt.  Their purpose is to steal from you most likely other sellers as well.  You're a new seller and a scam target.  Ignore any more messages from this person and make sure you block them as well:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/blocking-buyer-ebay/

Happy Selling!

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I think this is a scam?

Thanks so much for the good information. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I think this is a scam?

Thank you and I sure will!

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I think this is a scam?

Obviously feedback has nothing to do with them being able to pay, so it's just a human being weird in my mind.   I'm tired of the overworked "scam" word, but if you want to go there, I suppose it could be a trick to get good feedback without paying in case they didn't know negatives were prohibited for them anyway.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I think this is a scam?

@cindys-minis wrote:

Buyer (0 feedback) sent me an offer that was the same as my asking price, so odd. I accepted, then received a message saying they tried to pay but it didn’t work and asked if I could please them feedback so they could try to pay again. I’m sure this is a scam, but unsure what the purpose is- just to get feedback?

SCAM! The request for feedback is designed to fool you because as a newbie, you may not realize that not having feedback isn't the reason they're unable to pay. 

They would then ask for email or text to send you a fake payment receipt hoping you'll fall for the scam and send them the item. But there's no payment and you'll lose the item. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I think this is a scam?

I give you two points for coming here to ask

I am unsure what the deal is

I can tell you this though, leaving feedback does not reset the invoice and has nothing to do with the ability to send a payment. you are being lied to right off the bat

please come back if you ever have any problems, no one here likes it when a new seller  is taken advantage of

@cindys-minis 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I think this is a scam?

No money, no buyer, no feedback - NO PROBLEM.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I think this is a scam?

Thanks so much! This is my first asking a community question and it’s been very helpful.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I think this is a scam?

Scammers use the offer at the buy it now price to draw you away from ebay. They hoping you will violate ebay policy and contact them outside of ebay so they can send you fake payment email.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I think this is a scam?

I'm pretty sure its a scam to build up feedback

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I think this is a scam?

@cindys-minis 

Scammers will try to get you to take the sale off of eBay, or get your personal information so they can send you a fake payment email, hoping you are too new and naive to verify that you have actually been paid. No LEGITIMATE buyer needs that information.

Here are some red flags to watch out for.

1. Buyer asks for your email address, Paypal address
2. Buyer sends you a phone number to text/call him/her
3. Buyer asks you to buy gift cards to go with the order
4. Buyer asks you to send the item to a different address after paying
5. Buyer wants you to send the item overnight/express and will pay you a lot extra to do this
6. Buyers says that they cannot pay through the eBay website and sends you a link to click on so that the payment will go through
7. Buyer offers more for your item than the price you have it listed for

If ANY of the above happen, do not contact the buyer or respond to any messages from them. Block them here: https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerBlock This will prevent them from buying from you.

If they actually purchased, won an auction, or you accepted an offer, after four full days do an unpaid item cancellation. You can do that here: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/cancelling-transaction?id=4136 Once you do that you can relist.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I think this is a scam?

This is very valuable information! Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. 

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I think this is a scam?

So let me take a guess here. Your original BIN listing was setup with immediate payment required? Most scammers ignore these types of listings depending on what type of scam they are running. When you accepted the offer you negated the immediate payment required and gave the scammer time to work their scam. 

Simply respond to them and tell them that feedback has nothing to do with being able to pay for an item and that they need to work with eBay regarding the problem and their inability to pay. Let them know that you do not leave feedback until after the transaction is completed. Personally I never leave feedback until the buyer has received the item and often a couple of days after that. 

As others advised simply wait this person out and after 4 days cancel the order using buyer did not pay as the reason. My guess it is a new account and and buyer will simply create another one once this one has a few strikes or they have completed a few scams and need a fresh ID to work with. 

Given you are a new seller you may want to drop the OBO from your listings and simply use BIN with immediate payment required until you have some more experience and then consider whether you want to utilize it in the future. I quit using OBO on my listings long ago. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply