cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I only have one question: WHY, Mr. Sweetnam?

Just saw the announcement - via this link below - eBay gave to its UK sellers, and I am speechless (which, alone, is a rarity and not one for sale)! 😄

I do understand that eBay wants to be "supportive" of its customers, both those in the UK and those in the USA. But why is it, that store owners in the USA were given 50,000 free listings, when they already get some with their subscription, anyways - whereas we, who do not have a store, get zero free listings, nada, zilch...? I was trying to explain this to myself, ever since the announcement surfaced on ebay.com - and may have even played with the thought of opening a trial store.

Until a few minutes ago , I was telling myself, don't be upset, sales are down anyways, plus eBay is a business and it has to drive profits, so naturally, they will support the drop-shippers and other large volume sellers, who, with a few clicks, can list a large number of items. Then I saw this:

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2020/3/1585146206.html

Why? Why are so many of us, smaller USA sellers degraded and stepped over, while you are cuddling all of your UK sellers? I would even understand if the MEGA shark sellers would receive 40,000 and the rest of us just 500 free listings. But throwing ALL your so-called support behind just the big fish, you did not exactly send the message that you care about your lower-volume sellers, and whether they can pay their bills or not. 

I have news for you: it is not your drop-shippers who are suffering the largest financial backlash from the Corona virus outbreak: rather, it is your SMALL Mom & Pop sellers, trying to make perhaps a few hundred to maybe a couple of thousand buckaroos, per month. Now they will be unable to pay for much needed medical and other insurance, medical bills, and many will have NSF funds accumulate in their bank account. Your MEGA sellers are going to be fine, as they can easily adjust to listing seasonal and high-in-demand items from their suppliers. We special-niche sellers, on the other hand, can only survive these financially troubling times, if we continue to list perhaps 5-10 items every day, so as to remain in a good placement bracket in the search. So, throwing a small bone of 300-500 free listings could have made a REAL difference. 

So, why not give EVERYONE some support? I am not naive, and understand that eBay wants more people to pay the upfront fee of a store subscription to increase eBay's revenue. However, the way this is currently being handled is more than inefficient, and also sends the wrong message to eBay's long-time smaller sellers that they DO NOT COUNT for eBay, one bit (or better yet, one bot) ,

Here is some - the core - of the announcement for UK sellers: 

Protecting our eBay Seller Community:
With many small businesses struggling to keep running through the coronavirus crisis, eBay UK has pledged a major cashflow boost by offering payment holidays for all our existing sellers.

From this week, no business joining eBay UK will have to pay any fees to list or sell until 31 May 2020. Existing sellers will also benefit from a 30-day payment holiday on all fees, with a commitment to consider a further holiday at the end of April.

This move marks an urgent response to calls for additional support by UK entrepreneurs. And crucially, it provides self-employed retailers and entrepreneurs who rely on bricks and mortar stores a virtual shop window to reach eBay’s 26 million customers, without paying any fees until June.

I really only returned some of my business here, because I held out some hope that the long-standing culture of detesting and devaluing your small sellers is over in which our merchandise was called yardsale garbage and we were described as "noise", sadly, by some of the previous leadership. 

Please do not tell me I made a huge mistake by hoping that, this time, it will be all different. 
Thanks for listening

PW🤕🐿

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: I only have one question: WHY, Mr. Sweetnam?

Just for info:

Sweetnam will lead the Marketplace business for the U.S., Canada, and Latin America

Message 2 of 64
latest reply

I don't have a store and get free listings.

Message 3 of 64
latest reply

Wow....chopped liver comes to mind....sheesh!

Message 4 of 64
latest reply

If I were you I would just go and purchase the month to month entry level Starter Store for $7.95/mo (Month To Month) and then come back here and activate the 50K free listing offer.  $7.95 / 50,100 listings = 0.00016 per listing

But that's just me. As always your mileage may vary.

here's the link to the various eBay Store Subscriptions levels:

https://www.ebay.com/sub/subscriptions 

here's the link to the 50K Free Listings available TO ALL STORE SUBSCRIBERS:

https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2020/0323/Stores50KInsertions.html

Message 5 of 64
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Just for info:

Sweetnam will lead the Marketplace business for the U.S., Canada, and Latin America

Hi there! Thanks for the info! Not sure if it was clear from my post, but I am a USA seller, and I spoke on my fellow USA sellers' behalf, not the UK side. Basically, I wanted to point out 

(a) the discrepancy between the announcement / level of support between the two announcements, the one for us in the USA and the one for our UK counterparts; and

(b) he discrepancy between the "support" offered for USA store sellers and USA seller without a store.

Hence, I believe that Mr. Sweetnam was the right person to ask. 

Thanks

PW🐿

Message 6 of 64
latest reply

@redmodelt wrote:

I don't have a store and get free listings.

I do, too. At lest, sometimes. But I didn't, this time; and I wasn't only thinking of myself only.

Thank you

PW👀🐿

Message 7 of 64
latest reply

@the_old_treasure_ship wrote:

Wow....chopped liver comes to mind....sheesh!

YEPP. You are right.

PW🐿

Message 8 of 64
latest reply

@prettywoman-2012   I think the UK has less ability to economically rebound compared to the US and eBay may realize that if they don't waive the fees there is a good chance they won't get paid anyway as Europeans gut their accounts to pay their own bills and buy food.  There may be a whole lot more going on behind the scenes that eBay knows compared to what we here in the US know about the UK marketplace.  For myself I will wait to pass judgment on the UK announcement.

Now if the same were to be done on the other side of the globe where this whole thing all got started then my opinion would be different ... very different.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 9 of 64
latest reply

Do you know if ebay UK has the heavy Asian market presence?  And what the total number of listings is on UK compared to US? 

That could explain the benefits for smaller sellers there because they don't have the same volume of mega sellers.

Maybe? 

Message 10 of 64
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

If I were you I would just go and purchase the month to month entry level Starter Store for $7.95/mo (Month To Month) and then come back here and activate the 50K free listing offer.  $7.95 / 50,100 listings = 0.00016 per listing

Thank you. I do not wish to list 50,000 items. But it would have surely been nice to relist the listings I already have, currently expired, and list a 100 or 150 more. So 300-500 free listings would have been welcome. It is not just about me, though. 

I am trying to figure out why, each time eBay has a chance to improve its PR and show some humanity, it manages to shoot itself in the foot. My loss is their loss - financially. But there is another, far more important  thing missed: the leadership is missing out on a great opportunity to not only provide for sellers as much as other online e-commerce venues already do, but to outperform those other venues in generosity in the face of a national emergency. Instead, they have picked one or two groups of sellers and gave all or almost all support to them, while leaving other groups out in the rain, to fend for themselves. Is ebay no longer an American business? I know it is present in many countries, but I thought its home base is in the USA, in San Jose, CA? Why then, pray tell me, is it more concerned with the well-being of foreign countries (not just the UK), than that of fellow Americans? 

And I hope it didn't go unnoticed that in the UK  announcement they called the buyers eBay's customers, which is as incorrect as it gets, because it is us, the sellers, who are their true customers. EBAY HAS NO CUSTOMERS, OTHER THAN US. THE BUYERS ARE OUR CUSTOMERS. WE DO ALL THE JOB, THE PURCHASE OF INVENTORY, THE PHOTOS, THE DESCRIPTION OF ITEMS, THE PACKAGING, THE POST OFFICE TRIP OR OTHER SHIPPING ACTIVITY, THE PURCHASING OF INK, PAPER, BUBBLE SHEETS, WE DRIVE OUT IN SNOW, RAIN AND SWELTERING HEAT (OR RIGHT AFTER DISCHARGED FROM HOSPITAL FOLLOWING SURGERY) SO THE BUYER GETS THE PACKAGE FAST, WE PROCESS THE RETURN IF ANY, and so on. EBAY ONLY RAKES IN THE MONEY FROM US. AND FOR THE PLEASURE OF ALL THIS HARD WORK, WE CANNOT EXPECT TO BE THROWN A FEW CRUMBS WORTH OF LISTING FEE WAVER?

C'mon. I have received a ton of messages from fellow sellers upset about this. They feel like 'Stepchildren" of the anecdotal evil Stepparent (note that I am aware, most Stepparents are wonderful, but I am talking about that bad apple in the bunch). For many, the way eBay is handling this situation, is the final straw. And if they leave, you bet they will take THEIR customers with them. 

I think, no, I hope  that eBay can do better than this.

PW🐿

Message 11 of 64
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@prettywoman-2012   I think the UK has less ability to economically rebound compared to the US and eBay may realize that if they don't waive the fees there is a good chance they won't get paid anyway as Europeans gut their accounts to pay their own bills and buy food.  There may be a whole lot more going on behind the scenes that eBay knows compared to what we here in the US know about the UK marketplace.  For myself I will wait to pass judgment on the UK announcement.

Now if the same were to be done on the other side of the globe where this whole thing all got started then my opinion would be different ... very different. 

@mr_lincoln I see what you are trying to say. However, according to BBC NEWS, their Prime Minister issued a stimulus package, also, and is fully open to add more to it, as needed.🐿 PW

Message 12 of 64
latest reply

Just a heads up, I do not have a store and I did NOT get any free listings. That irritates me to no end. I think it's unfair that only some people get free listings and some don't. I don't have a store and I don't want a store.  I have not had any in over a month and right now they should be giving everyone free listings.  It's stupid!

Message 13 of 64
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Yes to your sentence in orange. I did not think about it, but may be there is some agreement between the two governments about trying to support each-other's economy. That would answer (a) but still, would not explain (b) the discrepancy between the vast number of free listings for store owners vs. ZERO FREE LISTINGS for those without the store.

PW🐿

Message 14 of 64
latest reply

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

Thank you. I do not wish to list 50,000 items. But it would have surely been nice to relist the listings I already have, currently expired, and list a 100 or 150 more. So 300-500 free listings would have been welcome. It is not just about me, though. 

OK if you only need say 300 listings then if I were you I would just go and purchase the month to month entry level Starter Store for $7.95/mo (Month To Month) and then come back here and activate the 50K free listing offer, BUT ONLY USE 300 LISTINGS. 

$7.95 / 300 listings = $0.0265 per listing

That's less than $0.03 per listing!

As a store subscriber I am not real pleased about the fact that eBay handed out 50K free listings to anyone. It has always been my personnel opinion that free listings given out by eBay whether it be the basic 50 that anyone can receive every month, and or the additional free listing promos such as this latest one, both dilute and saturate the site as well as encouraging indiscriminate listing by sellers who have no skin in the game. Furthermore the common practice by eBay of regularly giving away listings is ultimately not fair to those who are paying for their listings either through monthly subscription fees or by those that are purchasing their listings à la carte.

If I had a say in the matter, and I don't. But if I did I would say that eBay needs to do either one of two things. Either go to the Amazon/Etsy business model and make it free to list for anyone and everyone. Or they stay with their current pay to list business model but require EVERYONE TO PAY. Because this some pay and then some don't does not work.  Because someone on either side of this argument inevitably always ends up resentful of the other side has or does not have. It reminds me of Dr. Seuss's children's book about The Sneetches. One star, two stars, three stars, no stars.

Message 15 of 64
latest reply