cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I messed up on a transaction. Anything I can do or is it a lost cause?

I received an offer on a broken item I had listed.  Agreed to the offer price (was feeling like being charitable

on my birthday).

In a short while after I agreed, I received an eBay message from buyer:

"Cancel my order please. I would appreciate it. I didn’t see that it had no video display working. I did it out of antic."

Appears his message cut off mid-stream.

So, since I want to keep buyers happy, I found the button to request cancellation, clicked it and entered

"buyer requested" in the proper spot.  Got a pop-up from eBay telling me they would send the request

to the buyer for agreement. (Too late I remembered advice from this board "Don't do cancellation" or words to that effect.)

I sent an eBay message to buyer telling them what they could expect to see & that they need to agree.

I heard nothing, no reply at all.

After a couple hours, I sent another message stating that if they wanted to cancel, they would need

to respond to eBay. Then I finally shut-up (which I should have done earlier).

Dead silence from buyer.

Do I need to call eBay or just let it alone?

I would really appreciate some expert guidance and many thanks in advance.

D.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: I messed up on a transaction. Anything I can do or is it a lost cause?

auctionpet
Guide

The buyer does need to agree when a seller states buyer requested for the reason. Once they've agreed, you'll receive an ebay confirmation. There is no reason for you to contact them again. If they don't respond to the request it will eventually time out, but I don't know how long ebay allows. They will also receive payment reminders if left unpaid. If they haven't gone through with the cancellation by months end and your charged the FVF, I'd phone ebay and inquire. They can read the buyers cancellation request and may process it manually for you.

BTW, I don't see how you messed up anything. They buyer did by not reading the full description.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

No need to call Ebay.

They probably haven't seen the messages yet.

Give it a few hours.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

You don't need to do ANYTHING.

I don't even know if eBay actually sends a message to the buyer. I had a seller cancellation recently and all I got was a message that the sale was cancelled, no reason given and no request to confirm anything. Perhaps it was because the seller used out of stock for the reason. Odd thing was the listing stayed live and available (multi-quantity) for at least a few weeks.

In this case if eBay did send a message the buyer will confirm, if they don't reply the result will be exactly the same, sale cancelled, no defects, no dings, fees refunded.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

There is nothing wrong with cancelling using buyer requested when that's what the buyer did.  I would have done the same.

I'm never clear on how ebay handles these.  It seems to be one way if they have paid and another if not, but you should receive an email from them when it is completed.  I wouldn't  bother writing the non-buyer.

Happy B-day!

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide

The buyer does need to agree when a seller states buyer requested for the reason. Once they've agreed, you'll receive an ebay confirmation. There is no reason for you to contact them again. If they don't respond to the request it will eventually time out, but I don't know how long ebay allows. They will also receive payment reminders if left unpaid. If they haven't gone through with the cancellation by months end and your charged the FVF, I'd phone ebay and inquire. They can read the buyers cancellation request and may process it manually for you.

BTW, I don't see how you messed up anything. They buyer did by not reading the full description.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@kensgiftshop; @slippinjimmy ; @fern*wood 

Thanks to all for the replies/advice.

I'll try to grow some patience & see how it goes.

You folks are Super! And appreciated more than words can say.

D.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide
Happy Birthday!!
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@auctionpet 

Thanks to you also!

D.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I believe it will cancel automatically after 10 days even without a response unless something has changed recently 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

I believe it will cancel automatically after 10 days even without a response unless something has changed recently 

I was wondering about that the other day, what happens if the buyer never responds to the cancellation.  

Have a great day
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Why, yes, the folks that responded here are the best!  Back in the day was how I learned the in'/out's of selling.  I no longer sell here, however, if I did, this would be my first stop for the thing that I do not understand and/or need help with!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply