cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have come to realize stupidity knows no bounds.

We all get those dumb questions. You know, you put the dimensions in the listing, then someone asks how big is it. Or the feedback that says "It was smaller than I thought".

This one, I thinks, tops them all.

I offer a jigsaw puzzle for sale. RIGHT IN THE HEADLINE it says 1000 pieces. I just got an email asking me how many pieces are in the puzzle. (And it says the same thing in 2 other places)

H L Mencken was right:

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: I have come to realize stupidity knows no bounds.

Frankly, this entire post puzzles me. 🤔

Message 31 of 63
latest reply

I sell LEGO parts.  Most of my listing titles look like this:

20 NEW LEGO White 2x4 Tiles (87079/4560178)

Buyer question:

"How many pieces does this include?"

"Does this include 20 pieces for the price?"

Now the answers in my head:

"Uh gee... maybe it's 20?"

"It says 20 in the title.  It says 20 in the description.  It says 20 in the 'number of pieces'. So... yeah it's probably 20..."

"I know it's a double digit number, so it's clearly higher than your IQ..."

"Ah, the generation that is growing up relying on their smart phones to answer all their questions..."

Now the answer that ACTUALLY gets sent in these cases is always 1) QUICK, and 2) PROFESSIONAL, and 3) I take the opportunity to spin the discounts.

"Thank you for your interests.  There are 20 pieces per $2.99 purchase.  Want to save money on shipping?  My listings automatically combine shipping by weight.  I also offer a max shipping special that caps shipping at $7.99 no matter how much is purchased.  Both of these can represent significant savings.  Let me know if you have any further questions. -Chad"

Message 32 of 63
latest reply

@wes-4507 wrote:

I would, if it takes some degree of intelligence to choose the correct item and to use it properly. A dumb question is a red flag for a possible dispute or return.

Definitely.   This is part of the reason I'm very loathe to list tech/electronics items anymore.  With the open invitation to fraud that the Ebay buyer MBG represents, I've already paid someone else's "stupid tax" a couple of times for things that were working but were INADed because the buyer couldn't use it properly.  Thankfully I got the item(s) back and found them to be fully functional every time, but it's still money I lost having to provide a return for a completely functional item.

Message 33 of 63
latest reply

Catholic rectories get calls every Christmas asking, "What time does midnight Mass start?"  Sadly this type of person can vote and procreate.

Message 34 of 63
latest reply

“How long will it take to put this puzzle together?” Depends. Do you have cats?

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 35 of 63
latest reply

Does this puzzle include the instructions for putting it together?

Message 36 of 63
latest reply

@thescarletpimpernel wrote:

Catholic rectories get calls every Christmas asking, "What time does midnight Mass start?"  Sadly this type of person can vote and procreate.

It's still called "Midnight Mass" but is earlier in many parishes . No reason to be obtuse.

Message 37 of 63
latest reply

A few years ago, a customer shopping for a Honda generator asked...

"Do they all run on gas?  Do you have any that can just plug into the wall?"

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 38 of 63
latest reply

@sltom6 wrote:

It's still called "Midnight Mass" but is earlier in many parishes . No reason to be obtuse.

In our area Midnight Mass starts 9ish/10ish, then folks go home for late light dinner or early breakfast, and kids get to open a wrapped gift before Santa arrives in the wee hours.

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 39 of 63
latest reply

In some churches, the service ends at Midnight or just after.  Asking when it starts is completely logical.  

That said, when I sold and got those dumb questions, I played dumb and answered what was asked.  If they wanted an Offer they had to ask, and the response was generally one-way trip to my NoThanks list.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 40 of 63
latest reply

Hi @richard1rst 

Just being kind of a smart ass … but 1000-piece puzzles rarely have exactly 1000 pieces.  It’s not meant to be taken literally.

I recall a post about a buyer who purchased a ‘1000-piece puzzle’ …  and filed a SNAD dispute for ‘Missing pieces’ because they counted something like 987.   [They didn’t actually DO the puzzle … just counted the pieces when they received it and assumed it was incomplete.]    🤔

Anyway, your buyer is asking a question you likely can’t answer accurately.  🥸

Message 41 of 63
latest reply

@rosszonebricks wrote:

I sell LEGO parts.  Most of my listing titles look like this:

20 NEW LEGO White 2x4 Tiles (87079/4560178)

Buyer question:

"How many pieces does this include?"

"Does this include 20 pieces for the price?"

Now the answers in my head:

"Uh gee... maybe it's 20?"

"It says 20 in the title.  It says 20 in the description.  It says 20 in the 'number of pieces'. So... yeah it's probably 20..."

"I know it's a double digit number, so it's clearly higher than your IQ..."

"Ah, the generation that is growing up relying on their smart phones to answer all their questions..."

Now the answer that ACTUALLY gets sent in these cases is always 1) QUICK, and 2) PROFESSIONAL, and 3) I take the opportunity to spin the discounts.

"Thank you for your interests.  There are 20 pieces per $2.99 purchase.  Want to save money on shipping?  My listings automatically combine shipping by weight.  I also offer a max shipping special that caps shipping at $7.99 no matter how much is purchased.  Both of these can represent significant savings.  Let me know if you have any further questions. -Chad"

I too take an opportunity to answer a question with discount offers... I've got many ways to do that, one is to tout the combined shipping promos.

Generally when I don't like a question, it's because I feel I'm being set up for a SNAD return (read post sale discount). They ask a question, then dispute what I said when they get it, with "you said it is... it is not... I feel I should be compensated". When that's happened a few times a number of years ago, I got used to recognize a dumb question from a set up question.

Where I work we have a different type of stupid calling our phone lines. On eBay, I feel the dumb questions are to confirm the buyer understands the listing before they buy. I don't really feel snark when replying on here.

At work, I got "I have video to prove I never put sugar in my gas tank" (total loss claim that we red flagged), or "my case worker says I need to provide proof of what I'm receiving from welfare but I can't get that" (well then you don't get anything from us either, because we need proof). We had the ones that damaged their own house the day before they were to be evicted (it was a rental) and then claimed the damages caused them to have to live in a hotel, can we pay for that. No because you damaged your house on March 31 and you were evicted as of April 1, so you should already have found a place to stay.

Anyway I don't feel the same way about "dumb questions" that lots of others do... and I make sure when I reply to a question that might be considered "dumb" that I don't make the customer feel as though they asked a stupid question.

C.

Message 42 of 63
latest reply

@sltom6 wrote:

I'm not a Christian... I totally would not have any idea if Midnight mass actually happened at Midnight or just late into the evening.

Anyway I learn something every day.

C.

Message 43 of 63
latest reply

@house*of*paws wrote:

Hi @richard1rst 

Just being kind of a smart ass … but 1000-piece puzzles rarely have exactly 1000 pieces.  It’s not meant to be taken literally.

I recall a post about a buyer who purchased a ‘1000-piece puzzle’ …  and filed a SNAD dispute for ‘Missing pieces’ because they counted something like 987.   [They didn’t actually DO the puzzle … just counted the pieces when they received it and assumed it was incomplete.]    🤔

Anyway, your buyer is asking a question you likely can’t answer accurately.  🥸

I sold puzzles about 10-15 years ago (from my collection), and I would photograph the finished puzzle (they were Springboks, so they stayed together well), to show no pieces missing. Then take it apart in very big pieces so the buyer can quickly put it together to see no pieces missing, before actually doing it for real. This was helpful, I had one with a missing piece, set it aside, and found the piece under the couch a year later. (Then I was able to sell the puzzle as complete).

C.

Message 44 of 63
latest reply

My logical mind asks "why call it "midnight mass" when it starts at 9:00 pm?"

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 45 of 63
latest reply