67 REPLIES 67

I had $2,200.00 in eBay gift cards stolen from me

You should have asked here first 

You seem to have fallen for a scam 

Message 2 of 68
latest reply

Unfortunately it looks like you did send $2,200 in gift cards to a complete stranger, based on nothing but text messages from that stranger. 

Message 3 of 68
latest reply

The money is gone 

You ask now on this forum but why did you not ask before you gave up your money????

Message 4 of 68
latest reply

So sorry this happened to you. Help the next guy by reporting it on the website where you found it, please.

Message 5 of 68
latest reply

Can you call and report them stolen? Might possibly be some money left on them.

https://pages.ebay.com/giftcardscams/ 

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 68
latest reply

"I had $2,200.00 in eBay gift cards stolen from me"

They werent stolen from you, you willingly handed them over to a scammer pretending to be Ebay. Even the number you called was fake, and you spoke to the scammer. They use throw away emails and phone numbers. You saw this vehicle on another site,and fell for it hook, line, and sinker...sad. Ebay has nothing to do with items sold on another site. These scammers love gift cards because they are non refundable, and untraceable, like cash. They spend them instantly too. Report the item to the site you saw it on.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 7 of 68
latest reply

$1200 for that? What a deal!  I can't believe they took your money after you kindly sent it to them.

Message 8 of 68
latest reply

Yes, unfortunately you did. If only it had occurred to you that you were getting that vehicle for 1/4 of its value; or to check out how eBay vehicle sales work.

There's no way to recover that money. Sorry.

Message 9 of 68
latest reply

Something isn't stolen from you when you willingly give it to them.

You don't pay for anything on eBay through a phone call or an email.

eBay doesn't ever handle payments or arrange payments on vehicles.

Message 10 of 68
latest reply

Why did you lose $2200 if the price was $1200?

Message 11 of 68
latest reply

Probably paid another one thousand for insurance, once the scammer got the first $1200, he figured he'd hit him again for a thousand...and obviously it worked.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 12 of 68
latest reply

So sorry you were victimized in this way. It is a common scam. Perhaps you can take some comfort knowing that by posting what happened, you may save another person from getting defrauded in this way.

Something isn't stolen from you when you willingly give it to them...”

@fab_finds4u 

You always give sound advice and insightful responses here in the forum. This is one time i disagree with you.  Money paid under such circumstances as the OP stated is fraud. Though the funds were given willingly, it was not a gift. It was supposed to be an exchange. 

Message 13 of 68
latest reply

Yup but the scammer said he would get it back.  $50,000,000 and counting on this car scam since 1992.

Gift cards should be tracked to the buyer but eBay make too much money.

Message 14 of 68
latest reply

The definition of fraud  and stolen are two different definitions. STOLEN is when something is taken from you that you own without your permission or knowledge.

FRAUD is the intentional perversion of truth in order to induce someone to part with something of value. Fraud is what happened. 

I digress but I suppose there are some that say the election was stolen from Trump and they want to stop the STEAL.  lol, someone  please let me know when they FIND those stolen votes.......... 🤭

Message 15 of 68
latest reply