cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I find eBay very unfair and not a level playing field! No sales for months!

Yes, I had one sale a couple month ago but I should have way more. I pay for a store and my listing are all promoted, yet, I never have any serious offers or sales as of late, strange. I use to get 200 to 300 dollars in sales every month, enough to pay store fee's and pay for the promotions, but no more. As if eBay has dried up, and you cant get ahold of any sales team members to help you plan any strategy, so I think eBay is bad to sell on, and you have to be very carful who you buy from on the site, that's what I tend to tell people because it's the truth, at least for me. I would rather be able to tell family, friends, and work/church acquaintances that eBay is a great place to buy and sell, but I truthfully can't, it would not be ethically sound. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Are you referring to another account? You only have 7 items listed, so I'd question why you are paying for a store as the biggest benefit is the free listings above the 250 that a basic seller account allows.

I'd say that 1 sale out of 8 items is a pretty good conversion rate (13%!)....

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Your sales are more likely to be affected by the desirability of what you sell, your pricing and the quality of your listings and images than they are by anything Ebay does.

They are more likely to be affected by your customer's pocket book than by anything Ebay does.

They are more likely to be affected by the number of competitive listings, their quality and prices.

I have entire categories of items which have slowed in sales due to lack of demand, which is a reason why I offer many types of items which appeal to different buyers.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

eBay has been beyond frustrating & disappointing in trying to make any dent in our financial lives.  I went 20 years without too much of a grievance but now, for over 1 1/2 years, sales have been absolutely dismal.  I've turned to Marketplace to generate sales.  Removed 100s of listings on here.  FBM has been decent with random great days.  You would think, with millions of buyers, averaging between $60-100 a day on eBay would be a breeze.  Not true anymore.  Since eBay made changes with who actually sees our items, we now know just what a ghost town it is.  I post several unique items that have 0 competition on eBay yet, barely any sales & the view count is pathetic. Best of luck to you.  Not sure how to resolve the issue for us struggling sellers.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

eBay has been beyond frustrating & disappointing in trying to make any dent in our financial lives.  I went 20 years without too much of a grievance but now, for over 1 1/2 years, sales have been absolutely dismal.  I've turned to Marketplace to generate sales.  Removed 100s of listings on here.  FBM has been decent with random great days.  You would think, with millions of buyers, averaging between $60-100 a day on eBay would be a breeze.  Not true anymore.  Since eBay made changes with who actually sees our items, we now know just what a ghost town it is.  I post several unique items that have 0 competition on eBay yet, barely any sales & the view count is pathetic. Best of luck to you.  Not sure how to resolve the issue for us struggling sellers.

Like you I have diversified across multiple platforms and venues but I did that long ago. Paritially because eBay continued to add to the list of restricted items and the VERO program is a pain to deal with at times. Competition is a wonderful thing. I adjust my prices based on my selling costs on the different sites and venues. I can generally list an item on another forum from 15-20% cheaper than I can list it on eBay and still make the same ROI and for the most part no restrictions and no VERO. 

Buyers have also diversified and the local forums and venues are becoming more attractive due to the constant increase in postage. Buyers can pickup the items, inspect it, pay for it and not have to worry about shipping cost, damage or delays. 

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

The "free" market isn't free, its pay to play. eBay is no different. The economy is way down, the stuff that I sell that used to sell very well no longer sells for a number of reasons. eBays "Advanced" promoted listings has been a huge culprit imo.

Everything is way down. The only difference between you and the mega corpos is you can't borrow money forever to keep your business afloat. eBay makes a ton of horrible decisions but the garbage economy is doing a lot of damage as well. Money is drying up and people are burning through credit and savings. I'm dropping down one "membership" level and if things get worse, I'll drop down another. 

No sense in giving eBay money when you're not making any.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Sorry, I am not in the market for 5 marbles for $95.00 including shipping.  If I ever am, you will be the first person I turn to.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Everyone is affected by 3 factors to varying degrees.

1. Site problems affecting sellers.  They exist, they impact us.

2. Economy.  Its bad right now.

3. The items you are selling.  One or more issues could be impacting your sales.

Really, #3 is the only one you have lots of control over.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Not knowing much about rocks but yours look VERY expensive. Try doing an experiment and lower a couple of those $100 rocks down to $20. My guess is you will sell them within a few days if not hours.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@sakic92710   You are overthinking again. There are NOT millions of buyer looking for old hockey stuff. 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

No offense intended, but you have 7 listings only?  Are you talking about this account?   With 7 listings, I would fully expect you to go for months without any sales, unless you were selling some super hot commodity. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@onestopnerdshop wrote:

The "free" market isn't free, its pay to play. eBay is no different. The economy is way down, the stuff that I sell that used to sell very well no longer sells for a number of reasons.

Out of curiosity, I looked at your listings, and since I sell some of the same stuff, I can offer a little advice in a couple of places. You need to lower your prices on those prize figures if you want them to sell. Those Demon Slayer prize figures? I've sold a whole bunch of those and they go for around $20-25, not $50-60. In fact, I sold that exact Gyomei Himejima figure you have listed for $50 for $20 several months back. I've had that Muzan Kibutsuji figure listed for months at $20 and it still hasn't sold. Demon Slayer merch in general is massively oversaturated and prices have dropped as a result. I'm probably going to lower the prices on all of the Demon Slayer figures I have left just to get them out of here because they've been sitting around with no interest even in the $20-25 range. I don't even bother winning Demon Slayer stuff anymore because it doesn't sell well-- there's just way too much of it and not enough demand.

You need to drop the prices on the Shigaraki and Attack on Titan figures too-- they're also way too high and won't sell for what you're asking for them. Prize figures in general don't tend to go for more than about $20-30 because they're mass-produced (the exceptions being either characters that have extremely high demand or figures that have high demand and have been OOP for a few years). They definitely do sell, you just need to hit the sweet spot with the price.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@richards*rock*collection 

so I think eBay is bad to sell on, and you have to be very carful who you buy from on the site, that's what I tend to tell people because it's the truth, at least for me. I would rather be able to tell family, friends, and work/church acquaintances that eBay is a great place to buy and sell, but I truthfully can't, it would not be ethically sound. Any thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would not be ethically sound to tell them it's not a great place based on your sales record, they may have items that are valuable and would sell on eBay. You sell precious stones and maybe there is not much interest at this time, but if you diversify your items and sell in more categories, maybe you'll change your mind.

I admit sales are lower than normal, but they will pick up soon.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

It's seems pretty fair to me. Everything's been great.

-Source good items with enough margin

-Source good desirable items with 70+% sell thru rates

-Start slow with the best possible items you can find

-Have good photos, listing, description, handling & shipping

-Ship safely and on time...

-Profit...

Don't spend your time worrying about anything else that is out of your control.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Did you know i like 🌮 Tacos

Message 15 of 24
latest reply