cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't get it.

I've been on Ebay over 20 years and don't understand the thought process of the Ebay bigwigs .  Up until about 6 months ago, I was selling 5 to 10 items daily with average daily sales over $100.........Yesterday I had 0 sales and the day before I had 1 $12 sale......I don't think the economy is responsible for a large part of the decrease in sales....It doesn't make sense for the bigshots to curtail sales as the Ebay revenues will drop accordingly........I'm thinking that maybe the big cheeses want the stock to drop so they can tender an offer to buy but that's probably illegal.......Maybe the way to go is to short the stock........Frankly, I don't get it.  

Elliot Yablun
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I don't get it.

Jamie Iannone(CEO of eBay) HAS been purchasing large quantities of eBay stock.

In eBay's infinite wisdom, they decided to chase the promotional revenue while losing billions in direct organic sales while causing thousands of sellers to crosslist on multiple platforms. They know what's good for them as well as its sellers. We shall see.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I don't get it.

Day 6 no sales. I am a long time seller. I've never gone this long without a sale. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I don't get it.

@nilis13 wrote:

Day 6 no sales. I am a long time seller. I've never gone this long without a sale. 

I see 3 sales on 10/9, 1 on 10/8  ?

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I don't get it.

52,000 items, only 3 sales in the last 13 hours. Before they started destroying the site I was selling 70-100 a day with only 30k items listed. It is a sad state what they are doing. After 22 years of ebay loyalty (full time), had to start cross posting 2 months ago and glad I did.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I don't get it.

Those you see waiting for pmts

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I don't get it.

I don't get it either!

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I don't get it.

eBay doesn't seem to understand that catering to those selling mass produced items you can get on Amazon, Walmart.com, or the dollar store is a horrible business plan. This isn't 2003 anymore, people don't use eBay for the mass produced garbage. They should be bending over backwards for the folks selling Antique and collectible categories. Remember when it used to be called Americas online yardsale? Now its turned into a flea market filled with knockoff perfume, cell phone cases and diabetic socks.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I don't get it.

Almost like they have destroyed sales on purpose...........

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I don't get it.

It does seem that way!, But why would they is the Big question??

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I don't get it.

Maybe they should do something to attract younger people to the site?  My understanding is a lot of young people don't even know what ebay is, along with a bunch of other common knowledge.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I don't get it.

I don't get it.

@shigbig 

I am a buyer. I get it just fine.  A year or so ago, eBay placed buyer management restrictions on all seller account with a default set to YES.  They didn't do much, because they required the BUYER ID to be forced into mandatory participation.  In the last few months eBay ramped up the mandatory buyer participation, first to make offers and then to even bid.  

It was advertised to buyers that this was to for their convenience, and the 'new smoother checkout' was a good thing for them.  All they had to do (they couldn't proceed until they did) was enter a default payment source.   THEY DID NOT TELL BUYERS that this new buyer convenience would not allow them to use Google Pay, Apple Pay, Spendable Funds, Gift Cards, seller promotions or coupons, PayPal Pay in 4, PayPal credit,  etc.   Combining items for one invoice/shipping charge was removed from the options and full shipping for each item would be paid in full.....yes, a buyer does not need to use the cart....they get to pay more.  

It was advertised to sellers that it was going to take care of non-paying buyers.  They refrained from mentioning that the seller's customers could no longer combine items for one shipping charge, and many buyers simply would not participate in this new "more expensive" program.  Buyers are not stupid, and who wants to pay full shipping on their multiple auction wins when the items could be combined in one parcel for $8 instead of the $80 the auto-pay charged them. It did not inform sellers that they were likely losing sales due to buyers who DO PAY,  just passing them  by. 

eBay has now proclaimed in their last update that ALL Buyers will be required to participate in this going forward for making offers, while they continue to force buyers to do so simply to make a bid.  If you don't want to encourage multiple purchases from the same buyer, never use auctions, and never use the best offer feature, please by all means keep the preferences/blocks intact. 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Since this has been ramped up to make it mandatory for buyer participation, many buyers are looking elsewhere.   If you are NOT newbie and know how to deal with non-payers, perhaps you should rethink your settings.  I sold here for 22 years, had ONE npb.  If I still sold here I would be advertising "BUYER FRIENDLY, combined offers for one shipping price, combine your auction wins!  No auto-pay required here. Shop here and enjoy, pick your payment source! "  Do this before eBay runs off more of the long time payers. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I don't get it.

@shigbig wrote:

It doesn't make sense for the bigshots to curtail sales as the Ebay revenues will drop accordingly.

Yeah why did the big wigs at ebay decide to curtail sales?

Didn't they know that would hurt profits?

Frankly, I don't get it either.

Ridiculous!

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I don't get it.

Common Knowledge, Like Common Sense, Is not taught in school so no one has it!, The future looks Bright! Not!

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I don't get it.

Good points, but...Lol. I buy the diabetic socks. 🙂

Message 15 of 18
latest reply