cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like to force my listings to display the description automatically

Is this possible?   I don't want buyers to have to click a link to view description...most people won't do that.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: I'd like to force my listings to display the description automatically

No, there's nothing you can do, it's Ebays doing.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Oh, no! I see something I'd maybe like to buy, but it's way too much trouble to click once or twice to see the full description! 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Don't we all wish!  There's nothing you can do 🙄

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Yes, it is possible, but you're going to have to start your own website.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@thesnotrocketeer wrote:

most people won't do that.

Most buyers wouldn't read it anyway even if you could.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

As Monster Deals said, most buyers wouldn't (don't) read the description.

I imagine that eBay has followed what buyers do and how they do it. And have found that the majority of shoppers don't read descriptions (for any number of reasons, they see all they need to know in the photos or details, they change their mind instantaneously, are sick of scrolling to look at the description only to read a reprint of the title, etc). Therefore eBay detects a waste of band width, more than is necessary for those transactions.

I imagine that eBay is looking at Amazon as competition where sellers have little say so in the description end, other than the condition of their item.  Ebay is moving toward a catalog based site, like Amazon, so it's no surprise. This approach does work well for books, apparently.

For sellers of unique items, this might suggest a change to your  approach to listings.

I might suggest:

• More item details for your items, the kinds of unique specs that are important to your item.

• attention to the condition line, that shows up in quotes under the price (forget what eBay calls that)

• A focus on your title, away from key words to grab views, toward better description (not just "please read description"; a waste of 23 characters, imho)

• paying for a sub heading on high priced items.

A buyer who does read the description is truly interested in the item. So, don't be afraid to still fill out your description.

• try to condense a wordy TOS that could go against eBay's warrantee or have the effect of making the seller look more persnickety than  accommodating (for instance, instead of a rant "because of the number of disrespectful and cheating buyers we have had to.... which often goes on for paragraphs, say something like "we always try to work with our customers, so do message us with any concerns or questions").

These types of changes always affect some sellers and not others as much. Learning to roll with the (constant) punches is the mark of a successful seller.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply