cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't blame eBay after I saw this

Copied from Yahoo Finance today,

Signs of an increasingly cautious consumer and looming recession aren't helping America's dollar store chains.

While dollar stores have previously thrived in times of economic uncertainty due to their low prices, this time around is different.

On Thursday, Dollar General lowered its full-year forecast for both sales and earnings, with earnings per share now projected to decline as much as 8% on the year.

"The macroeconomic environment is more challenging than the company had previously anticipated, which the company believes is having a significant impact on customers’ spending levels and behaviors," Dollar General said in its release.

A week earlier, Dollar Tree cut its profit guidance with management noting their business is "not immune the external pressures affecting all of retail."

Shares of both dollar stores have now fallen double-digits in the past week.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: I can't blame eBay after I saw this

Not surprising, I usually get my odds's and ends at DG but in the last year their prices went thru the roof. Even wally world is beating their prices. Worse yet, you can't find anything, their all short staffed and the aisle are block up with stock not put on shelf's. You can't even get 2 carts side by side and have to wait at the end of the aisle if someone else is shopping.

I can go to 7 stores within 10 minutes of my house, their everywhere and I'm rural. I usually go to one main one, I haven't seen the same staff there one month to the next. The last 2 weeks, I saw posted 3 DG close the doors because of no staff and only the manager there.

I feel sorry for anyone in a food desert, they put freezers in and I couldn't believe the price of food, its cheaper to drive a couple miles to Aldi's or walmart.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

I shop my local Dollar Tree weekly and the shelves are getting emptier and emptier.  There are not as many offerings as there used to be.  Even upping the price to $1.25 has not helped.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

Copied from Yahoo Finance today,

Signs of an increasingly cautious consumer and looming recession aren't helping America's dollar store chains.

While dollar stores have previously thrived in times of economic uncertainty due to their low prices, this time around is different.

On Thursday, Dollar General lowered its full-year forecast for both sales and earnings, with earnings per share now projected to decline as much as 8% on the year.

"The macroeconomic environment is more challenging than the company had previously anticipated, which the company believes is having a significant impact on customers’ spending levels and behaviors," Dollar General said in its release.

A week earlier, Dollar Tree cut its profit guidance with management noting their business is "not immune the external pressures affecting all of retail."

Shares of both dollar stores have now fallen double-digits in the past week.

I've appreciated most of your posts, but I have to wonder what  Dollar Store has to do with ebay? - Two very different matters - In fact, Dollar Store business should increase given the economy was bad, not decrease. - Its not increasing - One reason is because Dollar Store has been running customers off as they become more aware you dont always get such a good deal there - (see @joliztoyco  post 4) - Thats what happens to businesses who exploit or try to get one over on their customers - Thankfully, I live next to a TRUE dollar store - DOLLAR TREE - well actually not anymore since their prices went to $1.25 - The place is very busy, but I will only buy a few items from there as I can get them better quality and cheaper elsewhere, albeit in higher quantity...Yeah... not sure there is much of a correlation here...

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Dollar General is notorious for short staffing, under paying, and making sure nobody gets enough hours for benefits or insurance.  I try not to support them with my money.  I've managed to get my trips there down to one or two a year.  They could be such a good thing for small communities if they would pay well enough to help the local economy, not just try to squeeze and cheat their employees.  More local stores is (in "general") a good thing even if chains.  Like others have said, it would be wonderful to have more stores in walking distance.  But the business model really, really does matter.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

I shop my local Dollar Tree weekly and the shelves are getting emptier and emptier.  There are not as many offerings as there used to be.  Even upping the price to $1.25 has not helped.

Very true - Nothing like the stuff they used to have before the pandemic - It was actually pretty amazing - I'm sure they have lost a lot of their sourcing since then...

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

And yet...they "choose" to chase profits in high risk neighborhoods. 
Which is both a management decision and part of their business model.
No matter how you paint it. 🙂
And yes, it seems a lot of collectors are "reaching back" for the MH Dolls they had.
So the market is pretty good for selling them right now. Especially "NIB". 
Find those babies and sell them!

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

I miss the candy most.  

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

I actually was in a dollar general 2 weeks ag o looking for flags, they didn't have them, and the store had no other customers other than me and one lady, depressing to see that, really.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

I'm on Long Island and there are too many dollar stores in the area. I am near 4 Targets and 4 Walmarts too. I don't know how some of these  smaller stores survive.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

Its several things.

Its ebay for its site problems.

Its the economy.

Its what you offer for sale.

They affect every seller, but some are bigger factors for some people and less for others.  

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

@pls-consignments 

I work part time for my brother in law and we are not too far from a Dollar Store.  I was there one day picking up some random things.  I told her I saw the yellow cop tape around the building earlier that week so I asked what happened. The manager told me they're getting robbed 5 & 6 times a month if not more.  She also told me she handed in her 2 weeks.  Sad. 

Typical is those areas wherever they may reside.

Everyone knows where they are.

Posting ID
Message 26 of 28
latest reply

My wife and good friend are managers at a Dollar tree in New Mexico, they can't keep the shelves stocked fast enough from customers buying stuff a super Wallmart is right next door to them.

One other issue is finding help that is willing to break a fingernail on occasion or actually have some sore muscles at the end of the day just stocking.

Like the heaviest box they have is like a four gallon pack of drinking water..

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

I appreciate Dollar General.  I don't go in often. But when I think I need something now, it is nice to run down there.  Going to Walmart to spend two dollars is not cost effective.  Walmart is a good ways away.  

Just my Two Cents...
Thank you for being here!
Penny
Message 28 of 28
latest reply