cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I HAVE BEEN SELLING ON EBAY FOR 15+ YEARS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN SALES AS POOR AS THE LAST THREE MONTHS

I have been selling on Ebay for over 15 years and have never seen sales as poor as the last three months.  Since about the middle of April I have seen a steadily decrease in my sales, to the point where so far in July they are 75% down, from a year ago, same month.  50% down in June, 40% down in May, and 30% down in April.  Good sales January to March.  Can this all be over search engines and algorithms?  Ebay out of sync with the major search engine companies?  I've phoned Ebay many times since April, and most reps don't know what is going on.  I've even sent a letter to the CEO, over three weeks ago, by certified mail, and so far received no reply.  OBVIOUSLY something is disrupting sales and views by the hundreds of comments regarding SLOW SALES posted by the Ebay community.  I guess the people at Ebay never heard of the ageless saying that "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT."  Irregardless of this well respected saying, Ebay continues to roll out annual or bi-annual changes, always disrupting my business, and seldom improving it.  PLEASE EBAY, GET THIS PROBLEM FIXED, TELL PEOPLE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS, AND STOP MAKING CHANGES UNLESS THEY ARE REALLY NECESSARY!

Message 1 of 149
latest reply
148 REPLIES 148

Re: I HAVE BEEN SELLING ON EBAY FOR 15+ YEARS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN SALES AS POOR AS THE LAST THREE MO

Perhaps the problem is what you sell.  I love coins and have a nice collection-but I only buy US coins.  And you don't sell US coins.

Possibly, no one wants to buy what you are selling.  So sell something else.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 149
latest reply

Re: I HAVE BEEN SELLING ON EBAY FOR 15+ YEARS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN SALES AS POOR AS THE LAST THREE MO

@divwido wrote:

Perhaps the problem is what you sell.  I love coins and have a nice collection-but I only buy US coins.  And you don't sell US coins.

Possibly, no one wants to buy what you are selling.  So sell something else.

@divwido

Not only that, but the coins are very very expensive. I checked the OP's record and they averaged 15 items a month and the last couple have been 5 items a month.  Maybe what's left over are too pricey and/or just not in as much demand.  People are seeing just not buying.

Message 3 of 149
latest reply

I do sell US coins. I have two stores. Estatecompany & Estatecompanystore. Links within each store for the other. Trend is the same in both stores....
Message 4 of 149
latest reply

I totally agree with you, I too have declining sales. I have been selling on ebay since 2007. Now I can't get my Top Rated discount because now they want you to pay for return shipping for the buyer, and I don't have that on my listings. They just keep adding more and more fees and rules for us to follow. Soon the only ones selling on ebay will be these big companies that ebay has allowed to sell here. Ebay you better wake up and listen to your discontented sellers.

Message 5 of 149
latest reply

Definitely agree!  Regardless of what you sell or what I sell, something has changed.  I was happy by my standards with first quarter results.  I had plans to grow the business and was super motivated.  All of that changed around April 1st when sales went to basically nothing and it has not recovered.  Obviously I am showing far fewer views, but I don't know if that is real or if it was because the counter is broken.  I am working on a big come-back after my vacation, but somehow I don't think I have much control over the current situation and all I can point to is LACK of VIEWS.  Good luck to you!

Message 6 of 149
latest reply

Well someone is doing OK - ebay reported decent second quarter results - - both GMV and revenues up over last year - and a 4% increase in the number of buyers.  

Buyer habits change especially when it comes to niche and high ticket items.  Past sales are no predictor of current or future sales. 

Perhaps you are fortunate that your sales have held up well for 15 years - mine took a bit hit in 2007-2008 and never fully recovered.

Message 7 of 149
latest reply

I agree.. Same here.I have been with ebay many years,selling a variety of items,sure some slow times,but this is just ridiculous!!

Message 8 of 149
latest reply

Sales for me have fallen so far down, that I refuse to spend my time in a futile attempt to list to try and sell one item. My sales for the last 6 days are one item for $2.69.  Why waste time listing when this is so bad.  My sales have dropped 47% from the previous month. There is something definitely wrong and I think eBay IT department doesn't know how to repair what they screwed up. If things don't pick up in the next 30 days, I will be looking at other venues besides this dysfunctional site. I told a couple reps this and they said I should not leave as I am a great seller. 15 1/2 years being forced to jump through hoops is getting old.

Message 9 of 149
latest reply

I hear ya, @estatecompany.  My sales are down 90% since March.  Interestingly enough, during the same time, the very same of my items have sold on other sites and for more money.  What does that tell you?

Message 10 of 149
latest reply

@uncseniorsportsfan wrote:

Well someone is doing OK - ebay reported decent second quarter results - - both GMV and revenues up over last year - and a 4% increase in the number of buyers.  

Buyer habits change especially when it comes to niche and high ticket items.  Past sales are no predictor of current or future sales. 

Perhaps you are fortunate that your sales have held up well for 15 years - mine took a bit hit in 2007-2008 and never fully recovered.

I read some guru article the other day that is predicting ebay's demise.  Seems that 4% just isn't good enough for those billionaires.

Message 11 of 149
latest reply

Same here pal.. I have lowest markups on items and they are not moving at all ! All I do is lower prices with hopes of sales and nothing ! Maybe one item a day sells out of 125 at prime time season.. then all of the constraints ebay has on us.. Remember who built this site ??
So many long time members are no longer.. I am trying hard not to be one of them.. I just invested hundreds of dollars on best items, and at lowest prices but they are not moving..
What the heck man ??
Message 12 of 149
latest reply

It's bad friend ! But not for the big companies it seems... It's bad !
Message 13 of 149
latest reply

I'm down 77% since last year.. And I am selling new and top brands and lowest prices.. terrible,,what to do ?
Message 14 of 149
latest reply

I'm right with you friend.. down 77% since last year and I am selling best brands at ridiculous prices.. I mean listing ..not selling..

Message 15 of 149
latest reply