cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I HATE WATCHERS AND "SEND OFFER TO WATCHERS"

AM I THE ONLY SELLER WHO HATES WATCHERS?

I THINK IT'S TERRIBLE THAT EBAY HIDES THE IDENTITY OF WATCHERS - AS SELLERS I BELIEVE WE HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW WHO IS WATCHING US AND IF THESE WATCHERS DON'T MAKE A PURCHASE WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO BLOCK THEM.

SADLY, THERE ARE PEOPLE WITH NOTHING BETTER IN THEIR LIVES THAN TO BE NUISANCE WATCHERS ON EBAY.

IF EBAY ELIMINATED THE WATCHER FUNCTION THEN THERE WOULD IN THEORY, BE ONLY BUYERS.

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Sakic92710,

I never said You should lowball a seller that accepts offers. I just said I will always make an offer. As a person who works in sales I’m not afraid to get “No” for an answer. 

Message 46 of 66
latest reply

Watchers seldom buy anything, but alot of watchers on your item might put the "Whoa.  I better hurry up and hit the Buy It Now button before any of those watchers grab it." idea in the head of a serious buyer.  I've bought with that mindset a time or three.

Message 47 of 66
latest reply

Honestly, I think your asking prices might be quite unrealistic on some of your items. Some folks might be interested in a particular item but just want to watch the listing because it's... interesting. And threatening!

And why send out an offer of ~10% off a sky-high asking price and comment "Wow, can you really afford this"? How in the world is that going to get a sale? What's the end game here, because it's an interesting business model.

Message 48 of 66
latest reply

It seems that some sellers are still unaware that we can set parameters on our Best Offers which will automatically accept or reject .

I got one a few hours ago which was accepted automatically after two earlier Offers were also automatically rejected.

Those parameters can be a penny apart. Offer of $49.99 ? Rejected. Offer of $50? Accepted.

No labour or angst required.

Or we can set the parameters farther apart and consider Offers based on how long the Thing has been in stock or whether we need more shelf space or whether the Flat Rate shipping we are charging is higher or lower than we will actually pay.  Whatever.

Message 49 of 66
latest reply

The seller sent you the offer because eBay registered you clicking on the item and you viewed the description and / or photo for the seller's listing.  eBay then notified the seller that they have one (or more) "Eligible Offers" they can send to a potential buyer(s) So it could be the seller sent 3 people an offer and one offer was sent to you just by you clicking on the item or ad.  That's my understanding of why you got this Offer from the seller.   Sometimes I try not to click on the item unless it is something I maybe very interested in, otherwise I may get bombarded with offers from competitors or sellers just for looking at the description or ad. 

Message 50 of 66
latest reply

I like sending offers and when a buyer accepts and doesn't pay. Then I really like sending invoices to the same buyer who accepted. So now I have lowered my price(with barely any margins left), sent an offer and sent invoices and messages to pay. I'm at the point of asking them if they would like for me to come and install it too.

Message 51 of 66
latest reply

Don’t know why you care so much when it doesn’t even remotely effect your sales. I love em especially since a large portion of my sales come from sending And accepting offers. 

Message 52 of 66
latest reply

Watchers Can be potential customers, they can also be other sellers, But Some Absolutely Over Stay Their Welcome!!, I Wish There Was A Way To Distinguish Between Them!

Message 53 of 66
latest reply

I'm not sure why this would bother anyone? So what if it's competitors? You can ignore the numbers if you want to.

If anything, watchers give an idea of what might be a popular item. I've found that the more watchers an item has, the more likely it will sell.

Though, when I send an offer to an unidentified watcher, it would be nice to see their zip code as we offer free shipping and the price we send could vary.

Message 54 of 66
latest reply

I sometimes watch because I have the same item to list. It reminds me to look for the item and list it. Sometimes, I will use the price as a starting price for my item. Sometimes, I watch because I know that the seller is asking a very high price and I want to see if he can get some sucker, er , buyer to actually pay that much for a very common toy.

As a seller , I do NOT mind watchers. I send offers and about 50% will buy the item.  I also realize that some of them are watching my item for the same reason that I watch items.  

Message 55 of 66
latest reply

It would be nice if we could identify our watchers.    When I send out offers,   I always manage 'to send one to a buyer that I'd rather avoid.    

There are several reasons to be a watcher.    Watchers are IMO harmless and not a distraction at all.   I can 

find 10 or 15 other things on ebay to irritate me in less than a minute.  

Every watcher is possibly a potential buyer.   

To me,  Watchers that don't buy aren't even a thing.   Just more meaningless background 

noise on a website overwhelmed with distractions and glitches.  

Message 56 of 66
latest reply

Do they no longer enforce the Loitering Law??, It use to be in retail if you were in the store for an unreasonable amount of time without buying, they could ask you to leave based on the No Loitering Law!!

Message 57 of 66
latest reply

I use the watch function to narrow down searches and make a decision.

Message 58 of 66
latest reply

I wonder how many of your 566 buyers watched the item before buying it? I think it's a great tool to send coupons out to customers that are watching an item and it has generated about 30% of my sales this year.  As a seller, I would think you would find that it's a good tool to see what your competitors are charging. Can't rely on terapeak to give you info on everything you sell, or at least I can't. Use it to your advantage. 

Message 59 of 66
latest reply

Pitter patter , let's get at 'er.

Message 60 of 66
latest reply