cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I HATE WATCHERS AND "SEND OFFER TO WATCHERS"

AM I THE ONLY SELLER WHO HATES WATCHERS?

I THINK IT'S TERRIBLE THAT EBAY HIDES THE IDENTITY OF WATCHERS - AS SELLERS I BELIEVE WE HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW WHO IS WATCHING US AND IF THESE WATCHERS DON'T MAKE A PURCHASE WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO BLOCK THEM.

SADLY, THERE ARE PEOPLE WITH NOTHING BETTER IN THEIR LIVES THAN TO BE NUISANCE WATCHERS ON EBAY.

IF EBAY ELIMINATED THE WATCHER FUNCTION THEN THERE WOULD IN THEORY, BE ONLY BUYERS.

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

I don't send offers or pay any attention to watchers, so let them watch all they want, doesn't bother me.

Have a great day.
Message 16 of 66
latest reply

Seems so unimportant in the scheme of things, if I'm on the internet posting this, someone is watching.

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 17 of 66
latest reply

"HATE" to feel intense or passionate dislike for someone.  This is how this person feels about people who might "watch" items.  Amazing to "hate" someone You have never met.  I "hope" to know You never.  I insist You also block me should I accidentally view something of Yours.

Message 18 of 66
latest reply

@bill.purvis2012 wrote:

About  25% of all my sales come from Watchers to whom I've sent an offer.  I work at getting my buyers these days.  

I've gotten two sales from sending offers to watchers in the past two weeks. Working just fine for me.

Message 19 of 66
latest reply

I just bought something I'd had on my watch list for a while. The price had been higher than I'd been willing to spend, but I was gifted a couple of gift cards and used those to make it a price I WAS willing to spend, so I went ahead and bought it. I'm sure the seller was quite happy that I did so.

Message 20 of 66
latest reply

Speaking of gift cards and coupons, I tried to use one recently and it initially worked but when I tried to pay the sellers checkout suddenly said " can't accept payment from your address" but when I removed the coupon everything was ok and no problem with my address.

Message 21 of 66
latest reply

You seem to have the business model that will attract insane numbers of watchers. Incredibly rare anime related stuff at really high dollar prices.

There are millions of Timmy's out there that will watch those items both to see if they sell and too see if someday they will come down to a price they can afford.

Some of those items might be worth price checking. I found complete in box video games for the same prices as your empty boxes and examples of some of your high dollar items available for as much as $1000 less from other sellers. 

I am honestly not sure if you are actually trying to sell this stuff?  As the ones I saw that had sold comps or currently active competition were priced at multiples of what the other ones are.

Message 22 of 66
latest reply

I believe most of the watchers are sellers who have similar or like items. They watch these listings to see what the item sells for, and maybe the phraseology used in comparison to theirs to see if it is attracting more views. Some sellers copy other sellers descriptions and even pictures, which is against ebay rules.

Message 23 of 66
latest reply

I am a watcher.  ( better than a peeper)

I do "book mark" / watch items. Normally no more than 2 pages, but normally only one page that I have interest in items.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@policequilts 

But you are "bookmarking" on eBay. opie wants you to bookmark as a shortcut on your viewing device rather directly in eBay where it is annoying. 

Tough noogies for you if there was a change in the listing status that you would not have been made aware of by not "watching" it on eBay. Changes such as "offer from seller", "price lowered", "no longer available".  You  "potentials" either need to buy now, or go away.

That 1, or 2, or 3, or 4, or 5, or 6, or 7, or 8, or 9 in the watchers space takes up much more space than a 0, and is the source of stress. You are too much to deal with:)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit for spacing:  darn spacing is getting on my last nerve. Just when I get used to working around the glitch, they fix it.

Message 24 of 66
latest reply

Thanks for being strong where I can't be and Happy Holidays

Message 25 of 66
latest reply

Agreed watchers watch and buyers buy at least in my experience. I noticed you sell patterns, I have a large box filled with patterns from the late 60's to 1976 and I have never gotten around to listing them - I wonder if they have any value.

Best Regards

Message 26 of 66
latest reply

There are obviously a lot more reasons for watching than I initially realized.

Recently, I look at a competitor's ads and pricing (I never put anything on my watch list) then I got a message from that seller (competitor) with an offer. I'm still confused as to who sent he message, ebay or this sellers - I even messaged him and asked but got no response. It seems ebay is playing both ends against the middle - maybe one of the Rockstars can solve this mystery for me.

Best Regards

Happy Holidays

Message 27 of 66
latest reply

I keep things in my watch file... either stuff I want to buy (and will once I have the money) or items I HAVE purchased and keep in there for future purchases (water filters, record needles, etc)

Sometimes I send offers to people watching my items and get a few sales that way.

Sorry you hate watchers!

Message 28 of 66
latest reply

Thanks for the input, it's all that much more valuable from someone who has the sales to back it up congrats on your success.

I like to think my prices reflect the quality and vintage of the products but your correct about the attraction to all types.

Your correct in that I don't have to sell my items therefore I'm not willing to take less than I believe they are worth just because the ebay market can't afford those prices right now.

Best Regards

Happy Holidays

Message 29 of 66
latest reply

"I have a large box filled with patterns from the late 60's to 1976 and I have never gotten around to listing them - I wonder if they have any value."

Assuming you mean patterns for sewing garments, or perhaps even household accessories like pillows or curtains -- you can do Advanced Searches for any of those. 

I have found that most sewing pattern sellers do use the brand name and pattern number in the title.  So I'm sure if you searched for "Simplicity 1234" or "Butterick 3456", and searched for Completed Listings, and not just Sold Listings, you can get an idea of reasonable pricing.  

Just be aware that the pattern companies will take certain styles out of print and re-use the numbers.  So you may search for the eBay sales performance of your old "McCall's 6789" mini dress or bell-bottom pants  pattern and find that McCall's 6789 might now be a pattern for a child's clown costume.  

Message 30 of 66
latest reply