cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge reduction in traffic to listings, huge reduction in sales. Is promoted listings causing this?

I have a question regarding promoted listings. We see 40 results in a general search. If 10 are promoted listing. Does this mean 10 unpromoted items are not being seen. Is this the cause of our traffic decrease? We see traffic dropping from 6555 views in May - to 3195 in Sept. This also has resulted in a 50 percent decrease in sales. Same 2 months. Also, when did ebay start Promoted listings on all items including single qty listings?

Traffic = 6555 May - items sold = 83

Traffic = 4929 June - items sold = 62

Traffic = 4611 July - items sold = 64

Traffic = 4199 Aug. - items sold = 65

Traffic = 3195 Sept. - items sold = 46

We see over 50% less traffic which results in greater than 50% decrease in sales.

Message 1 of 191
latest reply
190 REPLIES 190

Re: Huge reduction in traffic to listings, huge reduction in sales. Is promoted listings causing thi

ha ha, they own the web site, and its all theirs, when you get some money from the lawsuit please let me know. I did just go back and retrieved an ebay email with the offer of a 30 dollar credit for promoted listings, I went ahead and promoted about 30 0f my 60 listings at 3% and immediatly noticed more views on all of my listings, this is not saying much, but I think it might draw more views to my site, I will give it some time, like the email said, its free money to go towards promotions. I have been with ebay for about 5 years now, and I have seen slow times, but as a buyer, I just put in my browser what I want to buy, and compare to amazon, walmat, bestbuy, bonanza, whatever there is the best deal, and buy, I must assume everyone else does it that way.

Message 121 of 191
latest reply

Re: Huge reduction in traffic to listings, huge reduction in sales. Is promoted listings causing thi

Promoted listings work to bring traffic sometimes and other time traffic slows. I try to monitor them and adjust as neede.

This last round of promoted listings that I started, I saw my impressions drop and sales increase.

Way too **bleep** many influences on ebay stores and listings that can affect performance.

I love the stories of folks that increase sales with the promoted listings, though. 

Message 122 of 191
latest reply

“ha ha, they own the web site, and its all theirs, when you get some money from the lawsuit please let me know.”

I don’t know what questions you were answering with that response, but they weren’t mine.

Message 123 of 191
latest reply

Let us look at this fact, what chewy.com is doing to brick and mortar stores. We started buying all of our pet needs, food and treats, pet supplies from chewy 6 months ago. The stuff comes fedex in temperature controlled trucks, to our door, saving us time, fuel and the price is lower than the stores. Please consider if you were a retailer physical brick store, you would be tearing your hair out, in fact, except for fresh people food, I buy all the stuff I need online know, except gasoline, which I hardly use anymore, in fact, just to warm up my vehicle, so it does not rust up, I go to town about once a week now just drive around, maybe get some fast food. How does this relate to ebay? Think about it, I bought on ebay a timing belt and bearing, water pump kit for my toyota that cost 165 dollars at the local auto parts store, I paid on ebay for same, with free shipping from a seller on ebay for 37.00. The future shock is upon us now, with most people in denial of what is happening to our economy and the way it is going. It boggles the mind.

Message 124 of 191
latest reply

Let’s try this one more time:

How much profit did you make on that $400?

And if the other guy can sell records for 2x retail, what’s stopping other people from doing that?

Message 125 of 191
latest reply

capital, you need money to make money and I have none.
Message 126 of 191
latest reply

400 profit oh maybe 350 about, I'm just a small seller, I go to thrift shops and garage sales, I'm a tiny seller, I have a rock saw and like to hunt and buy rocks and cut them, collectables
Message 127 of 191
latest reply

@rougheye4thejewelryguy wrote:
capital, you need money to make money and I have none.

Yet you’re investing $50 and clearing $350. Hmmm ...

Message 128 of 191
latest reply

yes I'm seeing huge traffic decline from end of 2017 on same items I won the brands so no new competition anywhere (amazon etc,,). Traffic is down by over 50% and more ?
Message 129 of 191
latest reply

So let me tell you all that Brick and Mortar stores are not dead.  We own a brick and mortar (15,000) feet in St Charles MO just west of St Louis.  We buy trucks of Merchandise from Major Retailers (we go directly to the source), we buy closeouts and dead end products at salvage prices.  We don't buy a lot of **bleep** like some offer, but more of the new/discontinued items.  We are killing it selling this stuff in our Brick and Mortar.  

We started this when we retired and we were buying trucks and selling on Ebay, but had so much stuff that was not moving.  Now Ebay has been pushed farther back due to lack of sales.  I am proud of what I sell and how I sell it.  Disclose everything and put it out at a fair price.  We are growing 50% each year doing it slowly.  Ebay used to account for a large part of our sales, but laster year withered to 25% less than the year before, with more/better items listed.

Prices are always the lowest listed so thats not the problem, shipping and deliverys are more than on time.  

The issue is that Ebay is trying to take itself from the "junkstore" to Bloomingdales.  Ebay has always been a good place for the educated, informed seller and buyer.  You could come here knowing what you wanted and find good deals.  Now Ebay has forced sellers of second hand items out.  You are no longer of use to Ebay.  They want to be Amazon.  EBAY LISTEN UP.  IF YOU WANT TO DO THAT THEN SPLIT THE PLATFORM.  Ebay has lot thier way and it does not look good.

Message 130 of 191
latest reply

Well said but unfortunately Ebay doesn't monitor or follow these forums which they defintely should. They have screwed the search up so badly that people cannot find what they are looking for easily and bottom line, if it isn't easy people won't do it. That's the way it is like it or not. Worse part for sellers is people can't easily find stuff then they go somewhere else to buy and Ebay doesn't get it.

I have gone in to search and typed in exactly what the item is, sometimes a part number and it at times tells me "0" results but then further down the page, it shows items found "using less words"???? How stupid is that? That is exactly the opposite of how it used to and still should work. Then when  you scroll down, you find all kinds of items that have nothing to do  with what you are looking for and then "LO AND BEHOLD! there is the item you are looking for and all of the words  you typed in are in the title?????

Screwed up or what???? and many in here have complained about no views, but then again that is not accurate either. I have been looking at my listings and notice that an item shows no views but one person watching? It is not possible for there to be a person watching an item if they have not viewed it yet. So, I then click on the item and number of views shows 3 and when I go back to my review it shows 5 views. Now I suppose it is possible that several people looked at it while I was checking it but it is highly unlikely that this would happen like that on multiple items.

I also buy a lot of estate items but before I purchase, I check online to see value and past sales if any. I have gone to Ebay and found an item that sold for, on average $800 and there were several of them. After purchasing the item and going to list it, I could not find "any" with a sold price over $425. At first I thought it might be the words I used and tried various combinations ...no good. What I do now is when I find a listing like that, I print it out to have to fall back on and there again it is a screwed up software issue of which Ebay has problems on a daily basis. I have never had a day go bye when Ebay worked correctly all day. 

And the worse part is, they are constantly "fixing" things that aren't broken. To much time is wasted by sellers having to find things again or change how they do things or learn about more changes that Ebay has implemented which makes it even more difficult to just sell but rather your working on the computer/sofware issues contantly to keep up with ever changing things that worked perfectly before.  Ebay seems to be bent on making the sellers once easy functions more and more complicated and difficult to wade thru just to list and sell something. 

It is called the K.I.S.S. principle in business but Ebay doesn't get it! They would have happy sellers and make much more money in the long run if they did.

Message 131 of 191
latest reply

I have been selling for several years now the same basic line of new product.  Xmas is usually slow for my stuff but I've been flat since Dec. I am still getting views and watchers and questions but no nuyers.  Last year I did ~ $12K so several months flat is very unusual for me.  I have no idea why.

Message 132 of 191
latest reply

I firmly believe that it is the issues I posted about, I.E. screwed up search and software  issues. Some issues are just an annoyance but others like the search or I should say NONsearch?? are costing sellers sales. Another annoyance issue is the question, but this probably negatively impacts sellers as well, is the ask seller that used to be on the bottom of the listing and when you replied to a question you could check a box to put the question and the answer in the listing so everyone could see it. This saved sellers time and, I believe prompted more sales because many people won't bother to ask the question but if it is already answered, they may buy.  On this as well, when someone asks me a question and I reply, sometimes I get a response simply saying thanks for getting back so quick or just a thank you and it shows as a question in my seller hub. We  used to be able to mark it as answered, now they have changed that so it sometimes stays there even after  you have ansered the question or just responded so it will go away. Another annoying time waster! Even as I write this, there is still one in my seller hub which I already responded to but it is still saying I have an unansered question GRRRR Just annoying software glitches. If I call them they tell me or "walk me thru something that isn't there??? but they can delete it so it doesn't show on my end. My question is "Why did they FIX this so it now doesn't work"?...Oh YEAH! progress, I forgot that 🙂 

Message 133 of 191
latest reply

I am in the guaranteed seller program. My sales are WAY down this year. I'm thinking that this program is not the reason for the slow sales.
Message 134 of 191
latest reply

Maybe I'm missing something but what is the "guarunteed seller program"?

Message 135 of 191
latest reply