cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bart or Not?

I've been receiving an inordinate amount of messages from potential buyers asking me to lower a selling price.

I am referring to items that do not have a "Make Offer" option. These offers are more often than not asking for 50 percent off or more.

Is anybody else seeing an uptick in these kinds of messages?

This is getting a tad bit annoying as I research before I list and when these messages arrive. I price competitevely and am often the lowest price on Ebay.

I don't mind considering dropping a price, but this is becoming to annoy me. I am not running a flea market.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Bart or Not?

How do you respond to them, or do you?

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Bart or Not?

I thought I was going to see a photo of the Simpsons...

I get those messages too, but they don't annoy me all that much.  I have had pretty good luck sending back an email offer with a small discount since they are interested.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Bart or Not?

This might not sound like something you want to do but you could add the make an offer option and preset your minimum amount you will take for it and let the automated messages do the communications for you.

If you do not want to take anything less than you asking price then set your minimum one dollar less than your asking price.

There is no guarantee they will not continue to ask you a question versus making an offer but it seems like many would make the offer since that is what they are contacting you about.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Bart or Not?

Also is it possible you are priced mugh higher than others selling the same thing?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Bart or Not?

@fern*wood wrote:

I thought I was going to see a photo of the Simpsons...

hqdefault_kindlephoto-1280896932.jpg

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Bart or Not?

I do not take or want offers.

I put it in my TOS that I am not accepting offers at this time.

IMO it draws buyers that do not know when to stop asking for more and more off.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Bart or Not?

I was getting offers on items without the option, with "Make an Offer" as the subject.

I discovered this "feature" under contact seller on mine, so I checked yours:

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Bart or Not?

@goodluckselling wrote:

Also is it possible you are priced mugh higher than others selling the same thing?

Good Luck Selling!

Good thought, but the OP says:

I price competitevely and am often the lowest price on Ebay.

So it seems the OP just has people wanting discounts in spite of low prices.  

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Bart or Not?

I get them frequently. Some I negotiate with, some I ignore. A lot depends upon what they were offering versus what it was listed for.

Cheers
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Bart or Not?

Same here. then they don't pay when you make an agreement.  Maybe just ignore them.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Bart or Not?

@juststuffisell wrote:
I get them frequently. Some I negotiate with, some I ignore. A lot depends upon what they were offering versus what it was listed for.

Cheers

I don't blame you.  I've read of offers that were just unreal.  No realistic way someone would get that kind of a Best Offer accepted.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Bart or Not?

My favorite was when someone offered $100 for a $1400 set of headlights, on the condition that I provided free expedited shipping to Alaska.

The more time I spend on eBay, the more convinced I am that every buyer is either a career criminal or that one kid in elementary school who spent every recess in the corner with the dunce hat on.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Bart or Not?

Best offers are one of the reasons I am no longer listing on eBay. I believe good selling requires an answer to emails. eBay does not allow a seller to contact a buyer with a hidden agenda so why they allow buyers to contact sellers with talk of a "deal" on a listing without BO posted is a "hidden agenda."

It's another hypocritical stance on eBay.

That said, many sellers on these boards who complain about best offers have feedback filled with best offers. Buyers will continue to email sellers until someone sets a standard. 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Bart or Not?

I do additional research.

Most of the time, I find the price is reasonable, mark the message as having been read, and moving on.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply