cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you respond to really dumb questions from buyers?

How would you respond to really dumb questions from buyers?

Perhaps after 22 years of selling on eBay and other online venues I’m just burnt out by the number of dumb questions I get from buyers.  I’ve accepted that many use their cell phones to browse the sites, and that they don’t know how to click and find the item description. But when the information they are seeking is actually in the title of the listing I just wonder why they bothered to message me.

How would you answer these kinds of questions if at all?

The listing title is for a Men’s charcoal wool suit jacket 38 Short, and the buyer sends a message wanting to know what size it is?

Then there are really dumb questions that no one can answer because the buyer didn’t provide the information needed to answer.

Buyer's question: “Will it fit me.”

Listing title is for a Men’s Navy Blue Faux Leather Jacket

Buyer’s question: Is it real leather?

Listing title is for one Antique Nippon Chocolate Pot

Buyer’s question: How many do you have in stock?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: How would you respond to really dumb questions from buyers?

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

I answer short and sweet (although I really want to answer in another way)

C'mon, how?

How do you want to answer?

I am betting it is along the same lines as me but of course we can not do that 😋

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 31 of 40
latest reply

I personally like to answer dumb questions with dumb answers, but since that is unprofessional, I refrain from doing that on EBay.

As a buyer, I can't stand when a seller responds to my questions or requests in a half-(you know what) way. So it's all or nothing for me, I prefer the nothing option.

Message 32 of 40
latest reply

I must be a little less nice than some.  For me if the question makes since at all to come in I'll answer but . . . when the answer is readily apparent in the title it depends on how busy I am with orders.  If there are a lot I'll probably not reply right away and wind up forgetting about it.  If it is slower . . . I am getting better at replying.  It has helped a couple of sales.

It also comes down to price if it is for a five dollar or more card I will reply faster than if it is for a 99 cent card.

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

It's hard to just bite your togue when the answer is right there in the title but if it's in the description keep in mind  how easy it is to miss the description when it's buried under "50,000" other ads, items or not even realize there is one.

Message 34 of 40
latest reply

When I was burnt out, I would just respond to silly questions with ‘Good Luck!’, ‘Thanks for your interest!,’ and ‘Keep Bidding or Buy It Now!’ And that’s it

It made me feel better that I at least responded, and it was still good interaction to allow customers reattempt their thought process before replying back with logical questions.

Many customers could be busy at work or doing something else while quickly asking questions, not necessarily reading titles or descriptions and just viewing images.

If I had to hold everyone’s hand again to help check them out online, most would be elderly or simply distracted. Burnout means it’s time to hire employees. GLTY!

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

I started documenting them and found that in my business, they mostly come on the third weekend of the month. The rest of the month I might get one a week, but that third weekend I get multiple a day.  This month they started on Sunday. I feel like they have gotten worse the last few months. For the next few months, I will try not to send offers and be slower to answer questions around that third weekend. My theory is people are out of money on that weekend and want a too good to be true deal. I also lump the "will you take $20 for the item that is listed for $100" on items without the offers turned on. 

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

... Don't all 'websites' make you 'scroll down' to read the 'specs' or 'description' etc.? They've done that since the invention of ecommerce. 

Have you never shopped on Amazon? The bright yellow "Add to cart" button is directly to the right of the listing title; no scrolling needed.

@nobody*s_perfect 

I have numerous times; and if it is an item I need to 'read' the description because I've never seen it in person, I do just that. 

Just because the 'buy it' button is handy (it is here too) shouldn't mean the buyer shouldn't read about the item when needed (again- not talking about shampoo you've bought for 20 years or a bag of socks)

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

I never say or point out that the answer is in the listing.

I do, each and every time; but more so because what I sell, you need to read the description to find out things like 

when it ships

how it ships

how it installs

what it fits

what it's "EXACTLY" made out of

So to circumvent a neg because someone didn't read the description, I MAKE them go back and read it. 

In fact, my response is:

"please see the written description for that answer and many other important things you need to know"

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

... Don't all 'websites' make you 'scroll down' to read the 'specs' or 'description' etc.? They've done that since the invention of ecommerce. 

Have you never shopped on Amazon? The bright yellow "Add to cart" button is directly to the right of the listing title; no scrolling needed.

@nobody*s_perfect 

I have numerous times; and if it is an item I need to 'read' the description because I've never seen it in person, I do just that. 

Just because the 'buy it' button is handy (it is here too) shouldn't mean the buyer shouldn't read about the item when needed (again- not talking about shampoo you've bought for 20 years or a bag of socks)

But Amazon doesn't MAKE you do it.  A buyer with less sense than you can just click that yellow button without any scrolling or investigation/ reading at all.

Message 39 of 40
latest reply

In response to " I remember once when eBay took down someone's listing of a faux fur coat because the eBay person that faux was a fox or some other real animal." 

I hadn't seen any eBay policy changes that prohibit selling of animal fur coats?  Are you sure that was the reason?

Message 40 of 40
latest reply