cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to post better pictures

Hi!

I've been selling on eBay for quite some time and I've found that the items portrayed the best sell the best.  What I do is take at least 5 to 8 pictures of each I item I sell (mine is jewelry).  I use a white seamless backdrop on a counter.  After I take the pictures I import them into PhotoShop on my computer so that I can color-correct, crop and brighten the lighting.  Oftentimes, you see pictures of items on eBay that are dark and poorly-lit.  For me, PhotoShop corrects this issue.  Keep in mind I don't do any artifical enhancing or manipulation; simply re-light the item, bring it into better focus and make sure the color is accurate.  You can install the Home version of PhotoShop for about $100 and to me, it's well worth the price.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: How to post better pictures

You can install a PhotoShop near-equivalent called GIMP

for free

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Taking pics in an outdoor shaded area with a flash also helps.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

This thread may as well have just been titled Look at my listings

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I start with accurate exposure and focus and fill the frame. Then I download images from the camera to Picasa. I then edit: Straighten (if necessary), sharpen, auto contrast, auto color, crop. Sometimes the "I feel lucky" option works better than the A/C's and sometimes I tweak the light-shadow balance.

Generally, my images are 640x480 pixels, cropped minimally and exported at the desired size for use online. I try to keep each image under 200 KB; most are in the 110-175 KB range. With a few exceptions, I don't care about the zoom feature that requires a minimum of 800 pixels on the long side.

Picasa is FREE and very easy to use. Since I include images within the description area, I upload them to FreeYellow (not free) for ready access. A better and more useful investment.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Such good advice about pictures, but you don't own a printer to save money on postage.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

If you set the white balance properly in the camera, you won’t have to color-correct later.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Good to know!
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Sounds like you have a handle on your photography! My tip was geared more for the dark and blurry shots you see so often on eBay. After spending 30 years in the graphic arts industry, I'm just more accustomed to using Photoshop. To each his own. .. 🙂
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I do that, too sometimes!
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

How to post better photos: Dont put your hands in the photos
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Unless you've just had a manicure and you know how to smooth your skin in Photoshop! 🙂
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@baggettla wrote:
Unless you've just had a manicure and you know how to smooth your skin in Photoshop! 🙂

Nope. Hands in photos distract from the item.  Keep anything not for sale out of the photo, even your hands

Message 13 of 13
latest reply