cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to lose a sale when you don't have to.

I was looking at a vintage necklace with a broken clasp. Necklace is listed as BIN. No problem. I request more info about clasp. I'm thinking: what would it take to fix this?, and I convey this to the seller. Yep, you have an interested buyer, wake up. So seller answers question, even posts more photos, but I want to know the SIZE of the clasp, as no ruler is shown with clasp. I ask the seller to please measure the clasp-opening in millimeters and to measure the clasp, itself. This should have been done in the first place, but I'll wait. What does seller do? 

Seller replies that she does not have the tools for such a measurement and item is priced for quick sale. Um, you don't have a ruler? Basically it's obvious she doesn't want to be bothered. I thank her, and reply that all would have taken was a ruler. 

I'm on my way to find another necklace. She lost my purchase tonight. 

Message 1 of 154
latest reply
153 REPLIES 153

Did you ask about the size in your first question?  I'm also thinking there are many people that wouldn't know how to measure in millimeters.

Message 16 of 154
latest reply

@siayan wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@siayan wrote:

studies have shown 99 out of 100 questions don't result in a sale. Maybe they had their question sale already.

@siayan

Please post a link or links to these studies.  They would be very interesting to read about.

I make them myself. Need anything studied?

Mornin Saiyan,

My home brewed study says 91.97% of buyers who ask questions will get me a warning on ebay that I am taking a sale off site.

The other 8.03 % aksed me for my email address!

Mr C

Message 17 of 154
latest reply

Meh.

Depends on the effort required divided by profit times who cares.

If my listing is a used $5 necklace from Kohl's...I probably would have just ignored you.

I also would have looked you up in toolhaus to see if you needed blocking.

a $500 necklace? I could find someone with a micrometer.

Message 18 of 154
latest reply

I'm on my way to find another necklace. She lost my purchase tonight.

Cheer up.

There are some sellers on this board who say they would have blocked you just for asking a question.

Message 19 of 154
latest reply

Last year I was selling a water distiller for around $140.00.  A potential buyer was asking all kinds of questions and I answered them--no problem.  He went ahead and did the BIN BUT immediately asked to cancel.    I cancelled the transaction for him & relisted--no problem.  A few days later it sold again to a -0- feedback buyer.  I thought something was familiar in the 2nd sale--it turned out to be the 1st buyers wife.  He was too embarrassed to buy it again after he had cancelled the 1st time so he had his wife open an account and buy it.  I was glad I took the time to answer all his questions~~it all ended up good in the end.

I had 1 yesterday that asked all kinds of questions about a brand new item.  I answered all his questions ONLY to have his last message to me be a low ball offer.  I answered that question nicely too~~"No".  Since there are no others of this item even listed on ebay, none in sold and none in completed listings he may change his mind if he really needs it.  If not, someone else will find it.

Message 20 of 154
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

@siayan wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@siayan wrote:

studies have shown 99 out of 100 questions don't result in a sale. Maybe they had their question sale already.

@siayan

Please post a link or links to these studies.  They would be very interesting to read about.

I make them myself. Need anything studied?

Mornin Saiyan,

My home brewed study says 91.97% of buyers who ask questions will get me a warning on ebay that I am taking a sale off site.

The other 8.03 % aksed me for my email address!

Mr C

Morning Mr. C, Funny my study on that came out exactly the same. 

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 21 of 154
latest reply

I would have blocked you at the second question.

Unless the item was over $100 with a busted clasp, there was no point of even asking the first question.  You should have bought the necklace, replaced the clasp and been happy. 

(*Bleep*)
Message 22 of 154
latest reply

@ceara2002 wrote:

@siayan wrote:

Really? Wow. I had no idea there was a study. Well, this buyer would have bought. I always ask questions Before the sale, not after. I wonder if there is a study for people who actually want facts and then follow up with a purchase. 

Her necklace is still online. Unsold. 

Sorry, but it is true.  I don't know about the % but almost all the questions I get result in no sale for me - even the questions about dropping the price and I do it.  Maybe 10% tops, I am always shocked when someone purchases after I answer a question, but the next dozen answered emails or so depress me again.

And anyone who askes a backup question never buys.  Every time.

On my other site, I had a buyer ask about the condition, I answered and sent a pic, they are now telling me how much they like the item but they haven't bought it yet.  They are just waiting for me to drop the already low price.

(*Bleep*)
Message 23 of 154
latest reply

I just spent 1/2 hour yesterday answering a complicated question from a person whom I'd bet will never buy the item.  Their question showed they had no idea what they were considering buying.  We're talking a $15 item. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 24 of 154
latest reply

I sell clothing, and people regularly ask me questions. Sometimes, I dont answer. There are a few reasons for that. I cant measure every piece of clothing every which way every customer wants it measured. It's insanity. The other day I had someone ask me for 3 different measurements, and then after I responded, asked me the measurement of the neck opening, and then not buy. If you are trained in fixing the clasp, and the seller has already included more photos and answered you question, I cannot imagine the SIZE of the clasp would have changed your ability to fix it, and that you couldnt estimate the size of the clasp, from all of your jewelry experience. 

It's not easy, getting the camera, taking more photos, uploading them...JUST FOR YOU! 

Everybody wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.
Message 25 of 154
latest reply

Here are my two favorites

Question #1, Are all the pieces there and is it complete

Answer- This is a new stock item still in the manufactures shrink wrap.

No sale, Perhaps the wanted one that was missing pieces

Question #2, How many advertisements are in this book

Answer-  There are advisement's throughout the book. The book is 2500 pages.

No sale, maybe they were looking for a 5000 page book.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 26 of 154
latest reply

LMAO!!!!

Everybody wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.
Message 27 of 154
latest reply

Hi Siayan,

I really love your stuff...can you lower the price if I buy several different things?

Yes most times we can.

Thank you, Oh, before I pay can you ship the extra items for free?

We will give you the best price possible.

Oh can you send some free things...my sister is ill and it would be nice to send her a gift.

Conclusion...a good sale became a waste of time and resulted in almost no profit...arrgghh.

Mr C

Message 28 of 154
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

Hi Siayan,

I really love your stuff...can you lower the price if I buy several different things?

Yes most times we can.

Thank you, Oh, before I pay can you ship the extra items for free?

We will give you the best price possible.

Oh can you send some free things...my sister is ill and it would be nice to send her a gift.

Conclusion...a good sale became a waste of time and resulted in almost no profit...arrgghh.

Mr C

Yea, it is frustrating. On another note I have to remeber to do what you did on your survey. Carrying it out 2 decimals points really had me. I was going to ask for the link. 

Message 29 of 154
latest reply

Oh Siayan,

If ya gonna use a manure fork make sure the tines are close enough together so the schmazzle doesn't fall right back out!

Mr C

Message 30 of 154
latest reply