cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to lose a sale when you don't have to.

I was looking at a vintage necklace with a broken clasp. Necklace is listed as BIN. No problem. I request more info about clasp. I'm thinking: what would it take to fix this?, and I convey this to the seller. Yep, you have an interested buyer, wake up. So seller answers question, even posts more photos, but I want to know the SIZE of the clasp, as no ruler is shown with clasp. I ask the seller to please measure the clasp-opening in millimeters and to measure the clasp, itself. This should have been done in the first place, but I'll wait. What does seller do? 

Seller replies that she does not have the tools for such a measurement and item is priced for quick sale. Um, you don't have a ruler? Basically it's obvious she doesn't want to be bothered. I thank her, and reply that all would have taken was a ruler. 

I'm on my way to find another necklace. She lost my purchase tonight. 

Message 1 of 154
latest reply
153 REPLIES 153

I once had a guy ask me about 5 questions in a row about a .99 cent comic book in VF+ condition.

If you know anything about comic book conditions VF+ is a very high grade...collectible condition and there are not many distinct flaws a comic can have and still be VF+

Does it have tears? Is it missing staples? Is the cover rolled? Are the staples rusty?...on and on...for .99 cents...

I simply responded "This comic is in VF+ plus condition and cannot have any of those flaws."

He responded "I want you to be specific."

Ok..."It is currently covered in paint and on fire. You have to fight a polar bear named Dwayne that doesn't like the taste of asparagus to get near it. The current GPS coordinates are 40.5142° N, 88.9906° W."

Message 31 of 154
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

I once had a guy ask me about 5 questions in a row about a .99 cent comic book in VF+ condition.

If you know anything about comic book conditions VF+ is a very high grade...collectible condition and there are not many distinct flaws a comic can have and still be VF+

Does it have tears? Is it missing staples? Is the cover rolled? Are the staples rusty?...on and on...for .99 cents...

I simply responded "This comic is in VF+ plus condition and cannot have any of those flaws."

Ok..."It is currently covered in paint and on fire. You have to fight a polar bear named Dwayne that doesn't like the taste of asparagus to get near it. The current GPS coordinates are 40.5142° N, 88.9906° W."

Setting you up for a 50 cent partial refund.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 32 of 154
latest reply

I ask the seller to please measure the clasp-opening in millimeters and to measure the clasp, 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone starts asking me about millimeters, it's an instant block.

I'm not saying your question wasn't a valid one, but some sellers (including me ) just don't do want to go down the millimeter road, especially if they don't have great eyesight..

Message 33 of 154
latest reply

@siayan wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

Setting you up for a 50 cent partial refund.

Hi Siayan,

I predict that within 3 years the MBG will become:

Get What You Purchased Or Get Your Money Back plus a $5 credit to spend on ebay!

It will be called:

MBG+5

Mr C

Message 34 of 154
latest reply

ceara2002 wrote:..........I request more info about clasp..........seller answers question, even posts more photos..........I want to know the SIZE of the clasp..........I ask the seller to please measure the clasp-opening in millimeters..........and to measure the clasp, itself...........Seller replies that she does not have the tools for such a measurement..........I thank her, and reply that all would have taken was a ruler. 

Sorry it didn't work out as you hoped when you first had interest in the necklace with the broken clasp.  Hopefully you find another you will like. 

And seller may have lost your purchase, but will almost undoubtedly make the sale without too much trouble... just to another buyer out there instead, as sellers don't need any particular buyer, just some buyer, somewhere.  If the necklase was *priced to sell* and something of interest, that's about all it takes!   

I wouldn't have been able to give you a measurement in MILLIMETERS either, so would have also had to let you know that I didn't have a measure that showed that.  Seller was certainly more than generous with her time in taking and posting more photos for you though!  Seems like she was very willing to help you as she was able to.

Sorry this didn't go through as you had first wanted.  Good luck in your further hunt for the necklace that appeals!  Such a personal decision, isn't it.  A bazillion necklaces listed, and only a few that ever seem like something interesting and special to us at the right price.  It must be some *law of shopping* or something.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 35 of 154
latest reply

@stitchesandseamsct wrote:

I sell clothing, and people regularly ask me questions. Sometimes, I dont answer. There are a few reasons for that. I cant measure every piece of clothing every which way every customer wants it measured. It's insanity. The other day I had someone ask me for 3 different measurements, and then after I responded, asked me the measurement of the neck opening, and then not buy. If you are trained in fixing the clasp, and the seller has already included more photos and answered you question, I cannot imagine the SIZE of the clasp would have changed your ability to fix it, and that you couldnt estimate the size of the clasp, from all of your jewelry experience. 

It's not easy, getting the camera, taking more photos, uploading them...JUST FOR YOU! 

Years ago I had a mens Armani suit listed that had the Euro size listed, no US, and I put in basic measurements.

Got a detailed question from some guy that said he wasn't sure it would fit him and asking about the measurements, like for the hips, the sleeve length, which was already in there, but this guy wanted a different way to measure.   After I asked him what size US suit he was, and answered every question, he ducked the size question and asked for a pile more measurements, which I answered and finished by asking if he wore a small, Med or Large tshirt.  He came back with more questions and no answers about what size he was and I finally blocked him, told him that the suit fits a Med Regular sized person, here is a pic of a 5'10" 185 pound guy wearing it, and a few weeks later, sold it to some business guy that wandered into my shop and was shocked that he was getting that brand of Armani for less than $100.

If a buyer is asking a reasonable question that is not answered in the listing, I will answer it.  Everything else I make the choice to endure.

And after the last person who asked for a specific clothing measurement, they bought it, wore it and claimed snad as the extra measurement was wrong, and sent it back filthy and reeking of cologne, I am not supplying odd extra measurements anymore.

(*Bleep*)
Message 36 of 154
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

Hi Siayan,

I really love your stuff...can you lower the price if I buy several different things?

Yes most times we can.

Thank you, Oh, before I pay can you ship the extra items for free?

We will give you the best price possible.

Oh can you send some free things...my sister is ill and it would be nice to send her a gift.

Conclusion...a good sale became a waste of time and resulted in almost no profit...arrgghh.

Mr C

Actually I had one yesterday that asked about combined shipping and I gave her a 'probably around about' cost, only to have it come back as 'well ok that's good, but could you lower the price on each as I'm buying x #?"

Now granted my reply was a little snappy (I was running on no sleep after a night shift) that the offer was for combined shipping not a drop in item cost as well and got back the "sorry I asked" response.

But, eventually after a little back and forth I did make that sale and it was a win-win = )

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 37 of 154
latest reply

@ceara2002 wrote:

I was looking at a vintage necklace with a broken clasp. Necklace is listed as BIN. No problem. I request more info about clasp. I'm thinking: what would it take to fix this?, and I convey this to the seller. Yep, you have an interested buyer, wake up. So seller answers question, even posts more photos, but I want to know the SIZE of the clasp, as no ruler is shown with clasp. I ask the seller to please measure the clasp-opening in millimeters and to measure the clasp, itself. This should have been done in the first place, but I'll wait. What does seller do? 

Seller replies that she does not have the tools for such a measurement and item is priced for quick sale. Um, you don't have a ruler? Basically it's obvious she doesn't want to be bothered. I thank her, and reply that all would have taken was a ruler. 

I'm on my way to find another necklace. She lost my purchase tonight. 

If you used the same attitude talking to the seller that you used here, no wonder she brushed you off.

Message 38 of 154
latest reply

Buyer:  The item is missing the little flag on top.

Seller:  Listing stated the item had a broken flag and the flag was missing.  It was listed AS IS, damaged.

Buyer:  Yes it did, but the little flag isn't in the box so I can't fix it.

Seller:  <sigh>  Would you like to return the item for refund.

Buyer:  Yes

Seller:  Go to eBay and select return for refund.

Buyer: Ok

1 week later after item has been returned.

Buyer:  Thank you for the refund, but it's not in my bank account.  Maybe it went to my friend's account that she let me borrow last month.

Seller:  <oh my>  Refund was sent to your paypal acct. xxxxxxxxx transaction id xxxxxxxxx.  You have to request paypal to transfer funds to your bank.  I cannot do that for you.

Buyer:  You did something wrong, the last time it transfered to my back account.  I don't know how to use paypal.

Seller:  You made payment via paypal.  The refund was sent to your paypal account xxxxxxxxxxx the transaction id is xxxxxxxxxx, the paypal customer service line is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  They can help you with the funds transfer

Buyer:  Its your fault you did something wrong.

<Seller calls paypal>

Buyer:  I just got an email message from paypal stating that my funds are in my paypal account and I need to login to transfer them to my bank.  How am I supposed to do that?  I don't know how.

Seller:  I contacted paypal, that's why you received the message confirming that the refund was in your paypal account.   The transaction id is xxxxxxxxxx, the paypal customer service line is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  They can help you with the funds transfer.

Buyer:  But you should be able to make that happen FOR me.  I don't know how to do this!

<sigh> and the sage continues.... this is not a win-win.

Welcome to my BBL.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 39 of 154
latest reply

Hello everyone,

Since this thread has gotten a bit off-topic, please bring the discussion back to How to lose a sale when you don't have to.

Thanks!

Message 40 of 154
latest reply

You don't sell here do you?

Or you'd see all posts ARE on topic indeed.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 41 of 154
latest reply

ceara2002 wrote:

Her necklace is still online. Unsold. 

Smiley Very Happy   You did say this was just last night!  lol  Not everything sells within hours, and certainly the nighttime hours are a bit slower. 

Likely the seller won't end up with an unsold item, having to list over and over and over again, hopeless and helpless, cursing herself that she didn't have a measure that would give her a reading in millimeters.  Smiley Wink

Message 42 of 154
latest reply

I think you live in some kind of bubble. For one thing, how much was this necklace with a broken clasp? For another, not everyone OWNS a ruler, or has one handy to do tiny little measurements for you. You are asking for way too much from someone who probably isn't some kind of jeweler or expert at fixing jewelry. Seller went above and beyond by answering ALL of your emails, giving you the best answers they could, given the tools that they had. That's why you got pictures. I have a tape measure, but god help me if someone asked me to use a frickin' ruler.
BTW I haven't used or owned a ruler since high school. Get out of your bubble. Be appreciative of the time the seller took to answer your questions. I would have probably ignored you if I were her.
Message 43 of 154
latest reply

If the necklace needs repaired regardless, My question is how much is the price difference between clasps of different mms? I'm thinking it's not that big of a difference between say 2 or 4 mms and the item was never intended to be purchased to begin with. As the other poster commented, most questions never end up in a purchase. I personally still take my time to answer regardless but I too get leary of multiple questions from the same buyer that could've addressed it the first time. That's me though.
Message 44 of 154
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

Frankly, if the seller is selling costume jewelry with a broken clasp, I'd probably figure that the seller has no experience in selling it.  Obviously, if he had, he would have fixed the clasp before listing it.

Of course, if this is a piece of fine jewelry, you might want to reconsider purchasing  a defective piece unless you are skilled in repair or have access to someone that is.

Named vintage costume necklaces run in the hundreds to thousands, and repairs should only be accomplished by known people who do that sort of thing by referral based on reputation and have the inventory of tens of thousands of tiny pieces to replace missing/broken parts from the original manufacturer.

What is a sale "worth" to a seller, anyway?  Say it is a cheap costume necklace.   It's too hard to print out a mm ruler (and most if not all rulers also have mm markings, people just don't know how to read them!)?

That necklace is exactly what that seller has to sell.  Frankly, selling cheap used costume jewelry is IMO a money-pit, but maybe that's all the seller has to offer.  Or maybe it's a hobby, or maybe the seller just loves period jewelry.  If so, they best answer questions, of course be prepared for sizing questions, and have a good attitude in the hope of getting a sale...and repeat customers begin with the first sale!

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 45 of 154
latest reply