cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to list a so called "illicit" item

I'm trying to list an antique opium pipe (it's over 100 years old). Every time I try to upload my listing a warning message comes up about how I may be trying to sell a devise that's used for illicit purposes, etc. I can't get beyond this point; every time I try to upload it again the same thing happens. There must be a way to get around this because in the Antiques category, there are lots of both current and sold listings that have "opium pipe" in the title. Any ideas as to how others are getting beyond this roadblock? Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The Bots have sniffed you out for some reason.  If the bots say nope - it's nope!  Even if others are selling a similar item...just stop trying.

If you try to circumvent eBay's bans on illicit products, you are going to find yourself banned from selling on eBay FOR LIFE.  Do not do it...it is not worth the risk of being banned here.  Very few ever get to make it back from the dead - I have only seen 1 case that got successfully restored.

eBay does not care if it's an antique or whatever else you want to say about it, just don't sell it here.  It's that simple.

Sorry...

@cousinquiller 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Obviously putting Opium (an illegal drug) in your Title isn't going to work! There are ways to include the word "opium" in the Title, I won't explain how because it would be a policy violation. Many who use these methods get caught and sanctioned so I don't advise going that route.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/drugs-drug-paraphernalia-policy?id=43...

Tobacco pipes, and other smoking accessories not intended for drug use, are allowed

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

It is usually all in the wording.  Try calling it an antique Chinese somniferum smoking pipe.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

When listing, it is best not to use what others do as a guide when you are receiving a warning not to list a certain item. It is your account that is at risk. To continue the attempt is just begging to get in trouble with eBay.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I agree. Changing the wording or description doesn't make an illegal opium pipe legal to sell on eBay. Forget about selling it here.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

No means No.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

You and this item are now on the radar, so changing the wording to try and relist could get you shut down for good.  Sell it at an antique show.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Just because it's over a hundred years old does not mean it does not function.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Attempting to sell something illegal never works out well on Ebay.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply