cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to leave negative feedback on a buyer who didn't pay?

I just had my first buyer who didn't pay.  Person bid on item 8 minutes before it ended and it has been 4 days. I gave 3 reminders. I finally cancel the order due to non payment. I was going to write negative feedback but found out I can't? Because it's cancelled? I meant to let others know so they can block this buyer. This person made my item stay off the market for 4 days of Christmas prime time shopping and now I'm upset and want to do something about it.

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Sellers are not allowed to leave a negative feedback rating or a positive rating with a negative comment. The buyer  gets a defect for having an unpaid strike. Sellers can block buyers who get 2 or more strikes. If everyone reported and blocked they would stop being a deadbeat because the blocks last a year. When they find out they can't buy for a year they usually stop that behavior.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

You CAN'T leave negative feed back as of 2008, sellers can't leave negative feedback to non payers.

Message 2 of 44
latest reply

Sellers are not allowed to leave a negative feedback rating or a positive rating with a negative comment. The buyer  gets a defect for having an unpaid strike. Sellers can block buyers who get 2 or more strikes. If everyone reported and blocked they would stop being a deadbeat because the blocks last a year. When they find out they can't buy for a year they usually stop that behavior.

Message 3 of 44
latest reply

Filing the non payment cancellation is doing something about the non-payer.  Most sellers have blocks in place for this when buyers receive a strike.  Giving feedback (negative not allowed) does nothing.  We can't see the ID anyway.

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

I just realized I had not set up blocked buyers who don't pay after 2 reports. I knew you could add individuals to a block list. Maybe I should have done that sooner.

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

If a buyer hasn’t paid within 4 days, on the 5th day you can go to your Seller Hub to cancel the transaction using the “Buyer hasn't paid” reason and this gives the buyer a strike and you can relist. In future to have eBay automatically cancel your transactions due to non-payment:

Go here:   https://www.ebay.com/Cancel/Preference/UnpaidPurchase                                     

And definitely set your blanket blocks to 2 NPB per 12 months

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 6 of 44
latest reply

Sellers have not been allowed to leave anything but positive feedback for buyers for any reason since 2008.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 7 of 44
latest reply

There is no negative or neutral feedback for buyers and you can NOT give them a negative comment in their Positive feedback. If you do give a negative comment in the Positive feedback, the buyer can have eBay remove the comment and  you get a defect on your selling account.  

Refer to the response from @downunder-61  as to how you can cancel the purchase for nonpayment by the buyer.

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

I did cancel the item, as stated in opening post.

For the automatic cancelling, this only seems to work if they haven't paid in 30 days.

Message 9 of 44
latest reply

Thanks ebay. Your feedback ratings mean NOTHING if sellers can't warn other sellers about deadbeats. You're hurting the people who are the reason for your business.

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

Well, since you can't control ebay, you might as well set up to block as many bad buyers as you can.

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

@caboom68 wrote:

Thanks ebay. Your feedback ratings mean NOTHING if sellers can't warn other sellers about deadbeats. You're hurting the people who are the reason for your business.

Thanks eBay for protecting buyers from vindictive sellers who want a pound of flesh, rather than to get the buyer blocked.

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

Just curious what will negative feedback do? Sellers can’t see buyers feedback before they buy. Sellers can’t cancel purchase after they buy due to feedback.

Why would a seller want to force a buyer to take a item only to have them turnaround and file a INAD return in which case the seller has to PAY return shipping if they want item back in addition to giving buyer full refund including original shipping fees paid buyer. It seems like most sellers that want to leave negative feedback for non-paying buyer also have a no returns policy. Remember on eBay no return doesn’t not mean no refunds due to eBay’s Money Back Guarantee policy for buyers. I get a cancellation request every now and then but very few non-pays. They don’t bother me one iota.

I would much rather have a buyer that doesn’t want or changed mind on a purchase not pay or request a cancellation than to ship the item and have the buyer turn around and return item under a false INAD case.  When seller gets a INAD return they will get ding and too many will result paying a 5% penalty on FVFs lose the ability to sell on here permanently.

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

Feedback for buyers is to thank buyers for their payment. Nothing more nothing less. If they do not pay you just do not give them a thank you. 

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

You can't leave negative feedback for a buyer for any reason.  Not permitted by the platform. Your only recourse is to block the buyer from bidding or buying from you in the future.

Message 15 of 44
latest reply