cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Sales

I think I found the solution to more sales. I had like no sales for 5 days....I mean like nada.

This was like going to be my most crappy week.

I listed about 40 items today....none of which are selling yet...but the older items are selling.

The minute I started listing items I got back into getting sales. Its so wild and thankfully tomorrow on

Sunday I can get these orders out for Monday. It's only 6:48 PM and it's like crazy with the sales coming in. What the heck is going on? I love it but being on vacation Monday_Friday with nada sales and then crazy sales.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Its like crazy and wonderful!

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

How to get Sales

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques ,

I believe you are a 100% correct. I may add listing new stuff on a regular basis helps even more when you have more followers. I have over 1,500 followers and I think some of them get message that I have listed new items.

I have definitely noticed that when I list items every day for an extended period my sales take off.  They don't have to be brand new listings. They can restocking of previously out of stock items on a daily basis.

Basically the same here. 

Retail sales are flakey. Good weeks, bad weeks, fair weeks, exceptional weeks....

As far as eBay goes, I think it is simple. When I list new items consistently,  a few of those will sell over the 1st week or so and couple that with the right buyers coming along and buying from the older listings creates an increase of sales. 

I have to be listing new items to keep sales going at a steady rate. Waiting for existing listings and long tail items to sell does not cut it for me. The business has to be worked weekly if not daily. Sitting on my thumbs and waiting has never produced much of anything. 

Posting ID

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

How to get Sales

Yes! Always happens to me. As it's been said many times on the forum (I have nothing but anecdotal evidence myself amd others claims) that EBay's algorithm favors those who list a lot of new stuff. So dumping a bunch of new listings causes a spike in visibility, but regularly listing new items maintains the increased visibility.

Contrarily, if you dont list and dont add fresh items, they decrease visibility or don't increase it. (Actively or passively not sure).

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

How to get Sales

Yes and no. ebay has addressed this on the ebay for business podcast, and my understanding is:

1. No, the algo does not factor in whether you are listing new stuff every day, etc. It's not part of the algo.

2. However, yes, ebay's own internal data supports the value of putting up new listings, and ebay's view is the same as mine has always been : It isn't the algo giving you better visibility (and it isn't that slow sales are the algo punishing you for no new listings.) It's much simpler than that.

List a bunch of new stuff, and new stuff itself gets some higher placement for a while (because its new), and buyers see it, and some of those buyers will also look at your other stuff, which is why you often end up selling older stuff when listing newer stuff. 

The method isn't foolproof, you can list a bunch of new stuff and not get any sales, but ....you definitely increase your chances of making more sales.

As a bonus tip: A statement or link in the description, saying something like "Click here to see more vintage wall art in my store" can give you an extra jolt when combined with regular listing.  

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

How to get Sales

I believe you are a 100% correct. I may add listing new stuff on a regular basis helps even more when you have more followers. I have over 1,500 followers and I think some of them get message that I have listed new items.

I have definitely noticed that when I list items every day for an extended period my sales take off.  They don't have to be brand new listings. They can restocking of previously out of stock items on a daily basis.

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

How to get Sales

Yep, I never fully trusted the claims that it was the algo, but whatever magic (or simple logic as you have elaborated) that may explain it, it works. I know it from my own anecdotal experience 😁

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

How to get Sales

I always combat slow sales by listing more. Sales are usually in waves but I get them daily running auctions to finish in the evening time. Auctions rotate faster in the ebay search engine.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

How to get Sales

I went to a writer's conference last weekend and had my Stores closed for four days.

I knew there would be no sales on the weekend, but I was surprised that it has taken me four days of listing before sales started rolling in again.

OTOH, all the Best Offers that were being counteroffered have fallen through. And none of the Offers to Watchers or Viewers have led to anything- although those never do anyway.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

How to get Sales

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy Well, I think the YouTube gurus like to credit the algo because : "listing more can bring you more sales" isn't quite the same as "ebay's hidden algo secrets revealed!!!!" LOL

The problem with the algo theories, from my perspective, is the corollary you mention, which is: If you aren't listing a bunch every day, the algo actively suppresses or hides your listings. 

I don't think so. I think, again, the explanation is pretty simple. If you aren't listing new items which get the various benefits new items get, such as better placement, placement in "favorites" feeds and emails, etc, then you aren't likely to get the consequence (increased sales) that often come from listing more stuff. 

I think some sellers--especially some of the YouTubers---put way too much emphasis on the supposed inner workings of the algo , when much of success on ebay ultimately comes down to following well known Best practices and , for resellers especially, continuing to add new listings to increase your selection.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

How to get Sales

@theteamsetguy wrote:

Basically the same here. 

Retail sales are flakey. Good weeks, bad weeks, fair weeks, exceptional weeks....

As far as eBay goes, I think it is simple. When I list new items consistently,  a few of those will sell over the 1st week or so and couple that with the right buyers coming along and buying from the older listings creates an increase of sales. 

I have to be listing new items to keep sales going at a steady rate. Waiting for existing listings and long tail items to sell does not cut it for me. The business has to be worked weekly if not daily. Sitting on my thumbs and waiting has never produced much of anything. 

Posting ID
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

How to get Sales

@lakefor94  And that's the thing about long tail items. They have relatively narrow demand, but often what demand there is, is willing to pay a profitable price for the item. It is a slow dime versus fast nickel sort of business plan, and if you really want or need a faster way to sell, then opt for a plan based on more of a "high sell through rate" approach. 

But if you are listing primarily slower moving long tail items, then there are a few things you can do it try to speed up the process a little, and listing more each day is one of those tactics. 

Years ago, we had a poster here (now deceased) who did well with a hybrid plan. He sold longer tail antiques (his profit pool) and more in demand multi quantity "gift store" type items (cash flow). Between the two, he did quite well.

It's a good plan, but I have so much existing long tail stuff that I need to focus on that. 

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

How to get Sales

You know me, I think it's just a coincidence.

But hey, If it works for you, then great.

Congrats on the sales!

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 11 of 32
latest reply

How to get Sales

Whether you "believe" or not......it stands to reason that adding new items may increase your "chance" at a sale.......and if you do it consistently your buyer pool expands because not everyone "shops" on Mondays...  Also, you do get a "newly listed" bump........so take that into consideration........

Of course, if they buy too fast (lol this morning 10 minutes after I list)........you will suffer the "sold it too cheap" malady.......

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

How to get Sales

@inhawaii  I may be wrong, but don't you sell mostly multi quantity listings? I've said many times: selling new, multi quantity items is a whole different thing from selling single quantity long tail items. 

You can consider this coincidence, that's fine, that's your opinion, but my own opinion is that there is a degree of actual cause and effect here (as ebay itself has acknowledged) that is often missing in some of the theories that rely on coincidence without any real evidence of causation.  

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

How to get Sales

I was/is totally unaware of what the OP sells.

You are correct though, this is  just my opinion, just my theory.

While I agree that listing more item will definitely increase the chances of making more sales.

I don't agree that the ebay algorithm thinks - this guy spent the whole day listing more items,  let's give him more sales.

In any case I'm glad the OP is getting more sales, for whatever the reason.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 14 of 32
latest reply

How to get Sales

Ah, OK. If you read my previous posts on this thread, I make very clear that the algo has nothing to do with it. Yes, some people say the algo "explains" this, but ebay has said, no, this isn't a factor in the algo. Read my previous posts if you want to better understand this.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply