cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to charge a buyer extra for reshipping?

For example I had a package that was rejected by a forwarder for some reason. It's a large item and i'd like the buyer to pay for shipping again if they want me to ship it again. Is there any way to do this on e-Bay or do I just need to cancel the order? 

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: How to charge a buyer extra for reshipping?

I simply responded to what you said.  There is no reason to go to the extra step to cancel a transaction that actually shipped and was returned.  It is a valid transaction that actually happened.

AS for TRS quota, not sure what that has to do with anything, but a cancelled transaction won't affect it as far as I know.  It hasn't in the past, but things change around here fast, so maybe it does now.  Not sure it is anything to be concerned about.  I know I'm not.  I've been TRS since the day the program was introduced.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 40
latest reply

I guess being a TRS doesn't require you to have at least 100 transactions.

Cancelled sells don't count towards the TRS requirement, which is why I said if the seller was desperate for transactions I guess he shouldn't cancel.  I don't feel you understood the meaning here, but if you look at your seller level page you can see what I'm talking about.

Actually, it's not an extra step. It's easier to cancel a transaction with 'Issue to Buyers address' than it is to do a manual refund. So this whole 'extra step' is nonsense.

Also if the buyer becomes disgruntled in the future, cancelled sales actually help limit negative feedback.

Message 32 of 40
latest reply

@dqdistribution 

"I guess being a TRS doesn't require you to have at least 100 transactions."

Again, I have no idea what this has to do with the discussion at hand, but just as a refresher, below are the requirements.

Qualify as a Top Rated Seller

To become a Top Rated Seller, you must meet the following guidelines:

• An eBay account that’s been active for at least 90 days.
  • 100 or more transactions and $1,000 in sales during the last 12 months with US buyers.
  • A defect rate less than or equal to 0.5%, with three or fewer defects from unique buyers.
  • Cases closed without seller resolution less than or equal to 0.3%, and two or fewer cases.
  • A late shipment rate less than or equal to 3%, and five or fewer late shipments.
  • Tracking uploaded within your stated handling time, and carrier validation for 95% of transactions to US buyers.

Once you meet these requirements, we will automatically upgrade you to the Top Rated Seller status at your next evaluation.

Look we just have a difference of opinion.  You think they should cancel the transaction, fine.  I do not, it is a step that simply isn't necessary.  I does nothing for the seller.  It is a transaction and should stay one IMHO.  It is so simple to refund a buyer in part or full without one.

If the buyer has an issue with not getting the item and they have been refunded, if they then leave feedback, the seller can get it removed.  The transaction will show that the item was unable to be delivered.  

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

I really don't get how you are not understanding.

Yes, I'm quite aware of what the requirements are, but I don't understand why you are struggling with comprehending how cancelling a sale would disqualify the transaction as counting towards TRS.

Thus I said if the seller was DESPERATE and needed transactions to count towards TRS then cancelling wouldn't be a good option. Full refund without cancellation makes the transaction STILL count towards the TRS quota regardless if the transaction amount was turned to a 0.00 balance.

It's pretty simple stuff.

Message 34 of 40
latest reply

I have no idea why you are even concerned with the TRS requirements.  No one brought it up except for you.  I comprehend things just fine, so trying to insult me simply is not necessary or welcomed.  It was you that brought up about a cancelled transaction and how it affect the transaction count requirement for TRS.  I simply don't understand the importance of that to this conversation.  No one seems to be concerned about it but you.

It is pretty simple stuff.  There is no need to cancel the transaction in a case like what the OP has.  If they want to refund the buyer, all then need to do is go to the transaction and process the refund.  Simple and only takes a moment.  No other steps are needed or required.  You are correct, very simple.

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I have no idea why you are even concerned with the TRS requirements. 

Because I was giving one of the FEW reasons a cancelled order might hurt. If the seller was hypothetically trying to collect transactions to maintain or get TRS, he wouldn't want to cancel.

No one brought it up except for you.

But it is connected to what you brought up of a debate between not cancelling a transaction. So it's relevant because it is connected to what was being discussed.

I comprehend things just fine, so trying to insult me simply is not necessary or welcomed.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings by pointing out that you don't seem to be understanding what I'm saying.

It was you that brought up about a cancelled transaction and how it affect the transaction count requirement for TRS.

And does it not? Yes. 

I simply don't understand the importance of that to this conversation.

When you weigh the pros and cons of performing an action you look how it might change the outcome on other things such as qualifying or maintaining qualification for TRS.

No one seems to be concerned about it but you.

It was simply a point made that if the seller needed eligible transactions then he shouldn't cancel the sale. 

It is pretty simple stuff.

I would think it was pretty simple, but it seems to still be going over someone's head.

There is no need to cancel the transaction in a case like what the OP has. 

It's not a matter of 'need' it's a matter of what could benefit the seller the most. There are benefits to a cancelled order and if the seller plans on fully refunding anyways, then cancellation is an option.

If they want to refund the buyer, all then need to do is go to the transaction and process the refund. 

You keep acting like this what they 'NEED' to do. This isn't about need, that is an OPTION. However, you don't seem to be understanding the difference here.

Simple and only takes a moment.

How is cancelling harder and not as simple? There is less buttons to press to cancel for 'issue with buyers address' than it is to issue a refund from the order details page.

No other steps are needed or required. 

You obviously want them to do MORE steps because you think your way is the REQUIRED way. Which is factually incorrect.

You are correct, very simple.

I know I'm correct, thank you.

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

There is more than one way for this OP to handle the situation correctly.  We all like options.  

Filing a cancellation simply isn't a necessary step.  Yes it is something a seller can do, it just is not a necessary action.  It serves no purpose.  But if you were in this situation and that is what you want to do, it is up to you.

You didn't hurt my feelings.  You feel passionately about your position and sometimes those that feel this way don't tolerate debating their position or opinion so they get rude.  It isn't necessary, but some feel compelled to do that.  It serves no good purpose.

I don't think further debating this serves any good purpose.  But I respect your opinions.

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

Just curious was the package returned to you because you inputted incorrect dimensions on your listing. That definitely could make a difference on who pays for reshipment

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

The OP said "...was rejected by a forwarder for some reason..."

Message 39 of 40
latest reply

@toytrekker 

Whoa, OP, if you managed to fight your way through all the off topic stuff, and back and forwards that derailed this thread, I hope you found what you needed.

mam98013 advice was sound, and don't let anyone put you off, most buyers and sellers are infact honorable.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 40 of 40
latest reply