cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many sellers are going to offer free returns?

Just curious how many sellers will do this, I can not afford to do it.  I will have to pay the return shipping, and make no profit on the sale.  That's a bad business plan for me.  Also, how much business do you think we will lose for not offering it? Will we be so buried we won't see the light of day?

Message 1 of 91
latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

@getitright1234 wrote:

@hawgryders wrote:

@odditiesandantiquities1 wrote:

You have made me decide to stop giving free returns. Thank you and for all your points. Well said.

A bit of unsolicited advice --- be very wary taking advice from an anonymous source ...

You might now know who I am, but sound advise is sound advise:

Agreed --- but your advice is not sound --- eBay has clearly stated repeatedly that those who "refuse" to come on board will be relegated to the cellar --- their items will never see the "light of day"

Now unless you are listing just to "pass the time" anything done (on purpose) that lessens the chance of a sale is not too bright (from a business standpoint only) ...

Message 31 of 91
latest reply

I used to work in a Call Center.  This was many years ago, and we would get calls from people that said, they buy everything from L L Bean because THEY have free returns.

Truly happy they do, and sorry, but we don't.  

How may I help you?Smiley Happy

Message 32 of 91
latest reply

@hawgryders wrote:

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

The majority of buyers lie and claim a item is SNAD so you have to pick up the return shipping so you're already offering free return shipping,but if you select free return shipping the buyers don't have to lie and makes them look better instead of being the liars they really are....

Been around this place since '99 --- buying, selling, **bleep**'ing, and sometimes just listening

In that time I have found the vast majority of buyers & sellers to be honest, friendly folks who treat others as they want to be treated

Never did understand why those who seem to hate this place stay around --- must be very stressful ...

Just because the vast majority of buyers/sellers (people) are good does not make me want to:

1.  Leave my doors unlocked

2.  Leave my windows open

3.  Leave my cell phone on the counter.

4.  Publish my social security number.

5.  Not wear my seat belt..................well,  by now you should get the point, if not go back to #1.  

We stay around because, we overall like the experience, but we are smart enough to take the necessary precautions. 

Message 33 of 91
latest reply

The reality is harsh and there is a world of difference between what a hobby seller encounters and a business seller encounters. I don't miss and 100% of of the SNAD in the last 2 years the buyers have lied and the problem is just increasing year by year....  I always like to give examples... 372033074287 returned due to being bent claimed.....  Nothing done to item upon return and relisted...   352150497247 .... First buyer sent a photo with the glasses on they had no business buying glasses for a 20 something whenthey were in their 50s.... Just trying to be cool on my dime...

Message 34 of 91
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

I used to work in a Call Center.  This was many years ago, and we would get calls from people that said, they buy everything from L L Bean because THEY have free returns.

Truly happy they do, and sorry, but we don't.  

How may I help you?Smiley Happy

Amazon & Wal-Mart are the two largest retailers on the planet --- both offer free no-fault returns

Any correlation ???

Message 35 of 91
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

As far as search placement I run a new virus program and one of its features is if I look at one of your items it goes out shopping on the internet and brings back other like items from different sources that are cheaper and posts them at the top of your listing. The virus program is being used a lot by the 20 something crowd so if by chance one of them was using the program and shopping they'll be shown a cheaper item elsewhere...

gee, eBay does that as well, but it is not only when someone looks, but as soon as they buy. eBay then shows them things that they could have purchased cheaper.  Buyer then hits the "request to cancel.  Then sellers come here to ask "why am I getting so many cancel requests"?  🙂

Message 36 of 91
latest reply

This program runs all over the net checking prices and for new item sellers as this program picks up speed it will be the kiss of death to their business. ebays cut will be to big for them to compete....

Message 37 of 91
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

The reality is harsh and there is a world of difference between what a hobby seller encounters and a business seller encounters. I don't miss and 100% of of the SNAD in the last 2 years the buyers have lied and the problem is just increasing year by year....  I always like to give examples... 372033074287 returned due to being bent claimed.....  Nothing done to item upon return and relisted...   352150497247 .... First buyer sent a photo with the glasses on they had no business buying glasses for a 20 something whenthey were in their 50s.... Just trying to be cool on my dime...

Just for fun --- both item numbers go to the same Italian Glasses --- just a month apart

Would love to see the picture ...

Message 38 of 91
latest reply

First of all, you don't have to make a decision on this yet, so plenty of time to consider all the pros and cons.. and to see where there actually ARE many pros and cons.

So you'll be given better search placement?  HOW much better?  In front of all the other sellers who decide to try Free Returns?... or still down the page quite aways. 

Do you offer 30-day returns right now?  NO returns policy?  How is your current return policy working for your? 

AND, you do know that you will be able to pick and choose which listings you want to offer this Free Returns option on, and which listings you don't want this option given.. right?  It's not 100% one or the other.  So maybe it could be worth the gamble on items that are getting buried and that could use a boost in search placement.  Not worth it at all on items that already place well in search. 

Do you actually HAVE a lot of returns already?  Is there any reason to think this will open the floodgates for you? 

Just a lot to consider, and no rush at this time. 

I don't hardly ever get return requests with the merchandise I sell here anyway, so doubt this would suddenly turn on me. 

Message 39 of 91
latest reply

Took the first buyer 14 days to get my item boxed back up and returned so it created a delay in the relisting...

Message 40 of 91
latest reply

@hawgryders wrote:

@getitright1234 wrote:

@hawgryders wrote:

@odditiesandantiquities1 wrote:

You have made me decide to stop giving free returns. Thank you and for all your points. Well said.

A bit of unsolicited advice --- be very wary taking advice from an anonymous source ...

You might now know who I am, but sound advise is sound advise:

Agreed --- but your advice is not sound --- eBay has clearly stated repeatedly that those who "refuse" to come on board will be relegated to the cellar --- their items will never see the "light of day"

Now unless you are listing just to "pass the time" anything done (on purpose) that lessens the chance of a sale is not too bright (from a business standpoint only) ...

A few posts up, we had a buyer state,  they do not purchase based on "Free" returns.   eBay has a lot of small sellers, sellers who can not afford to accept returns just for the "hell" of it.   So, if eBay buries those sellers,  they will also be limiting their inventory/buyers who are not looking for  Sears, HomeDepot, JC Penny, type products.   A lot of what made eBay great and buyers coming back were for those hard to find treasures.    So, in essence, it will be eBay whom will be shooting themselves in the foot.  Small business should adopt some of big business concepts, but we all can't go jumping off a cliff.  

Message 41 of 91
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
I've been offering free return shipping for a few years. .Maybe it gives me a small competitive edge, maybe not, but I haven't had any problems with it.

I don't think sellers who don't offer it will be "buried" They won't show up in the "Free Returns" filter, but only a small percentage of searches will use that filter. Obviously, they won't have "free returns" highlighted in the search results list, but again, that isn't the same thing as being buried.

A voice of reason. 

Message 42 of 91
latest reply

Its real hard to bury the only one listed on ebay items. I just have to wait for the right person to come along sometimes it might be just minutes other times it might be years.  Last feedback only took the guy 2 hours get them in get them out.....

Message 43 of 91
latest reply

The watch prior to that I let go for the full 7 days so the buyers could see their ID on the big board...

Message 44 of 91
latest reply

eBay has a lot of small sellers, sellers who can not afford to accept returns just for the "hell" of it. 

For me, it was not such a matter of accepting returns, but having to PAY IN ADVANCE to MAYBE get back what you sent to the buyerin the first place.  eBay has thrown the seller under the bus for years by being able to jack your PayPal money (different company???? LOL).  

Gee...I sold a laptop and got back a phone book:   "Part of doing business on the net"... if anyone actually thinks this practice is going to change if you offer to pay for returns, think again. 

Message 45 of 91
latest reply