cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many sellers are going to offer free returns?

Just curious how many sellers will do this, I can not afford to do it.  I will have to pay the return shipping, and make no profit on the sale.  That's a bad business plan for me.  Also, how much business do you think we will lose for not offering it? Will we be so buried we won't see the light of day?

Message 1 of 91
latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

Let eBay give their own money away and keep they're greedy hands off mine. Good Luck to you

Message 2 of 91
latest reply

When I started selling here in 2004 I was a rebel and offered 14 day returns (or whatever it was available back then lol). Never had a return.

Two or three years ago I was a rebel and started offering 30 day returns. Never had a return.

Last year I went to 30 day free returns.  Never had a return.

If you've never had a return problem, free returns won't open the floodgates. If you DO have a return problem, don't offer free returns.

I also take a percentage of each sale and set it aside specifically to cover loss, be it fraud or returns, and have been since I started selling here. If I do have a return, I don't lose a penny.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 91
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

When I started selling here in 2004 I was a rebel and offered 14 day returns (or whatever it was available back then lol). Never had a return.

Two or three years ago I was a rebel and started offering 30 day returns. Never had a return.

Last year I went to 30 day free returns.  Never had a return.

If you've never had a return problem, free returns won't open the floodgates. If you DO have a return problem, don't offer free returns.

I also take a percentage of each sale and set it aside specifically to cover loss, be it fraud or returns, and have been since I started selling here. If I do have a return, I don't lose a penny.

Well, I sell clothing. Don't have an extreme amount of returns, but enough to break me if I offer them for free.  Especially based on my sales percentage. 

Message 4 of 91
latest reply

@tweetystwades wrote:

Just curious how many sellers will do this, I can not afford to do it.  I will have to pay the return shipping, and make no profit on the sale.  That's a bad business plan for me.  Also, how much business do you think we will lose for not offering it? Will we be so buried we won't see the light of day?

Offer it & see what happens --- if it becomes an issue you can always go back to "buyer pays"

Of course, with the "100% money-back guarantee" from eBay you will pay it anyway ...

Message 5 of 91
latest reply

I second your suggestion @victorjunkman55

In accordance with the update, it is what buyer's "expect"  so let eBay pay for free return shipping.

Message 6 of 91
latest reply

@postingid2017 wrote:

I second your suggestion @victorjunkman55

In accordance with the update, it is what buyer's "expect"  so let eBay pay for free return shipping.

I don't even think it's what buyers expect, I never expect free returns. Who does offer free returns? 

Does Amazone?  

Message 7 of 91
latest reply

ebay's 'prime' mentor started offering free returns I think last year. Which is obviously why ebay is asking sellers to do it now.

It's gotten to where the 'return' has become more relevant and important to the sale than the actual sale. Turning buyers into window shoppers with a credit card.  Removing all accountability from the buyer to make a responsible purchase and placing the entire weight of the transaction on the seller.  This model cheapens the item, cheapens the buyer and cheapens the seller.

A wrong direction IMO.

~Why be a second rate version of someone else when you can be a first rate version of yourself~

Message 8 of 91
latest reply

tweetystwades wrote: 

I don't even think it's what buyers expect, I never expect free returns. Who does offer free returns? 

Does Amazone?  

Some do. Zappos is one. Amazon does some, depending on the product and seller. High-end retailers Neiman Marcus & Nordstrom have free returns as well. That's all i can think of off the top of my head. There are others.

Message 9 of 91
latest reply

@tweetystwades wrote:

rotflmao.gif

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 10 of 91
latest reply

Will we be so buried we won't see the light of day?

That is their current THREAT for those that don't follow the ebay suggestions.

Message 11 of 91
latest reply

A lot of retailers offer 'free returns',  and they often send a return label along with the items purchased.  HOWEVER, very, very contrary to eBay sellers (the individual ones, not huge companies), they are large (stock traded) companies.  And often times have actual shipping accounts with UPS, Fed-Ex, etc, which I'm sure include discounts based on the volume they ship.

Sadly I do not have that convenience, and therefore, at this time will not be offering free returns.  I also sell clothing, which for me equals free try on service via mail (which would be on my tab if I offered that).

Message 12 of 91
latest reply

Of course the large corporations and retailers offer free shipping; it's costing them small pittances.

I can send a 20 lb box to Amazon FBA for approximately $6, UPS.  That's Amazon's discount and I'm sure I'm still being charged more than what Amazon is actually paying.

I have very few returns, as others have said, but the last one cost me over $20 due to weight and location.  Buyer meant to pay for return shipping, as my listings say (outdated tos as we all know but some still believe it) but checked "does not work" which of course means "defective."  She simply meant it didn't work with her sewing machine and it was her mistake.

So, I should go read this Fall Seller Update?  Haven't had time yet (why oh why did we adopt this wacky Maine Coon over the weekend?  He talks to us all the time; we just have no idea what he's saying.).

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 13 of 91
latest reply

Talk with your Maine Coon - far better than the Seller Update 🙂  I think my oldest is part Maine Coon, but she is mean contrary to what I read on Maine Coons.

Message 14 of 91
latest reply

@g tweetystwades wrote:

I've done 30 day returns for the past year and free return shipping since 2012.  Customers don't want to pay return shipping, but many don't even read. They've been taught to avoid it over the past few years, so even though I accept any and all returns, plus free shipping, they still think they need to put out an INAD make me pay for the label even though my policy states that I do. Thankfully, it's few and far between but frustrating none the less.

Year after year, eBay instructs the buyers of how to get what they want and to heck with the seller. 

I don't know what's going on right now, but my September is turning out to be like April and June. Nothing happening, nada, zilch. Like an every three month disease.  I do all the things they tell you, spruce up your listings, maybe take some better pictures, different working, but it doesn't matter. The switch is either on or off and right now it's completely off.

Message 15 of 91
latest reply