cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many of ebay sellers like using EIS and do you find it worthy of using?

Hi1 I have read and seen stories on here about selling internationally. I am able to use EIS if I want to, but I'm not sure if it is something I should do? We are downsizing our belongings and getting ready to list many things. Before I do, I wanted to get some opinions to help with my decision. 

We have wonderful people that use this forum. I know you will steer me in the right direction. I appreciate the help & look forward to reading the posts.

Blessings to all. Happy Selling & Buying!  

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@toyboxtreasuresandmore2024 wrote:

Hi! I appreciate you stating that. Would it be okay to ask you what countries are the items late to? Thanks so much.

I'm in Canada so don't use EIS but based on posts here and on .ca, I think the main slowness of EIS is happening at the US hub itself.  Once it leaves there, there may be certain countries where a package does take a long time to arrive but based on posts, it's the hub that seems to have some organizational problems right now.  

Just as a head's up, they EIS does limit shipping some items to some countries so your toys would probably not ship to the UK through that program.  You could use  ship there direct or not at all.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

If it wasn't for EIS, I would not offer international shipping.

Question - Why do you think your items will appeal to international buyers more than US buyers?

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

While I have always sold internationally prior to EIS I utilized the Global Shipping Program but I was more restrictive on the countries I would ship to due to the lack of seller protections. Under EIS I have opened up international sales to almost every country EIS provides the service for due to the virtual blanket seller protection from eBay claims and even chargebacks. There is no way I would sell internationally and directly ship items there are simply too many risks and you are also responsible for the customs forms. 

Of course I also ship internationally when the buyer is using a freight forwarder since the eBay protection is pretty good once the item has been received by the FF. It does NOT however protect you from a chargeback and eBay still has the legacy international fee for items shipped through a FF or for those with a foreign registered account that are shipping domestically. EIS has eliminated the international fee. 

On the down side shipping costs and delivery times for the buyers are often higher, due to the two shipping legs, and the delivery times can be protracted due to the indirect routing through the EIS hubs. 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

That's what I was thinking too. I like it better if ebay handling all the forms etc. 

We have been buying on here since 2007. Selling on here on & off since 2015. I have been told selling internationally reaches for buyers. I wasn't thinking that our items would appeal more to international buyers over US buyers. Over the years, we have accumulated items that I was considering selling that were acquired overseas when my late father was in the army. Those might appeal to overseas buyers. Thank you so much for taking the time to post. It means a lot. Have a very blessed day!

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I have shipped 4 items in the past month using EIS.  All are running late.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@toyboxtreasuresandmore2024 

Hmm,

I am responsible for delivering my package to the US EIS Hub,

If I do that I am done with the sale. EIS is then responsible for paperwork, chargebacks, late deliveries, lost packages, money back guarantee cases, returns, EIS related negative feedback, Refunds, etc.

Hate it. I would rather ship myself and deal with all those issues myself. 🙄

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Love EIS.   One of the best things ebay has ever done.    No more international shipping worries.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Hi! I appreciate you stating that. Would it be okay to ask you what countries are the items late to? Thanks so much.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

All of you are giving me great insights and I can't thank you enough. Thank you for taking the time to do so.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

The only thing I like about EIS is that it has much more stuff available to International buyers. This means m ore foreign buyers are shopping on eBay so this had boosted the amount of International sales that I get.

I have always shipped internationally directly and will continue to do so. Shipping direct is faster and cheaper for my buyers and substantially more profitable for me (by a lot).

Bottom line is that I think EIS is great BUT I would never use it myself, my direct international sales have doubled since EIS started because it has brought back a lot of buyers who were frustrated that so many US sellers would not deal with them.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I use it.

I like it.

It allows me to have international sales that I wouldn't normally have.

There is absolutely no extra work involved.

Ebay handles ANY problems/complaints.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

The only thing I like about EIS is that it has much more stuff available to International buyers. This means m ore foreign buyers are shopping on eBay so this had boosted the amount of International sales that I get.

I have always shipped internationally directly and will continue to do so. Shipping direct is faster and cheaper for my buyers and substantially more profitable for me (by a lot).

Bottom line is that I think EIS is great BUT I would never use it myself, my direct international sales have doubled since EIS started because it has brought back a lot of buyers who were frustrated that so many US sellers would not deal with them.

Curious do you ship world wide or just to select countries due to risk assessment?

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@toyboxtreasuresandmore2024 wrote:

I'm in Canada so don't use EIS but based on posts here and on .ca, I think the main slowness of EIS is happening at the US hub itself.  Once it leaves there, there may be certain countries where a package does take a long time to arrive but based on posts, it's the hub that seems to have some organizational problems right now.  

Just as a head's up, they EIS does limit shipping some items to some countries so your toys would probably not ship to the UK through that program.  You could use  ship there direct or not at all.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Curious do you ship world wide or just to select countries due to risk assessment?

Up until Covid I shipped Worldwide with no restrictions other than the ones eBay forced on me.

During Covid I blocked South America, Australia and parts of Asia. By early 2022 I removed all the blocks except South America and I added Africa (where I have never made a single sale in 25 years!). I still have some South American buyers (primarily from Chile) but they all use forwarders since they know how dodgy the service is (many used forwarders even when I was not blocking direct shipping).

At one time International orders were 70% of my business, got as low as 20% when shipping got more expensive and eBay started to collect VAT for Euro/UK orders. it's creeped up in the past year or so and I attribute that at least in part to the EIS effect.

I stopped using USPS for International about 18 years ago when the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) of 2006 came into effect and rates rose dramatically.

There is probably a lengthy list of countries where delivery is iffy but basically I never get orders from any of them so I don't bother to block. Most of the issues with those countries is with customs delays rather than any problem with the buyers, much of that is eliminated when using alternative carriers rather than national postal services like USPS.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

All of you gave me wonderful insight and information and I am grateful to you all. The person from Canada really made me see that it is not for me. Thanks to all of you and I wish you all a very successful year in selling & in life. Blessings to you all!

Message 15 of 19
latest reply