cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is your eBay sale trend ? ?

How is your ebay sale trend?

Ours sale trends is very strange. Some day sales pick up like crazy, as if we gonna sell everything in one day, lol. Up trend goes for a week or so. And in second week or so down trend starts and sales slump down to few a day to none for days to weeks. What I noticed is, downward trend starts when someone opens a return case. Its been insane ride since we opted for managed payment. Before managed payment sale was consistent. I know we are still in pandemic, I am referring sale trend in general.

How is your sale trend?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Throughout the summer we had an impressive jump in sales. It's usually our slow time but we were nearly double the rate from last year.

And then, about 10 days ago, sales slowed. Some days we get none. Often we get more sale on the River site even though we only have about 20% of the items there that we have here.

We don't mind taking a breather before the Christmas season. But seriously hoping that it picks up in the next couple weeks. Like most sellers, we need our Christmas sales to carry us through the winter.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

oncost
Scout

sale trend is some time  up and down ,do not worried all business are same 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Ebay sales are just like our other life adventures, it is a roller coaster ride.   you think you are swamped but then someone hits the light switch and you are glad you have other jobs/business/investments to rely on and then you are back being too busy and wonder where you should cut back and before you know it you are deciding if you should take on something else again because everything came to a halt again.  .

Feast or famine

be nice if it was a smooth steady sailing road out there but that isn't life for most of us. Might actually be boring if it was.   

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

The ebay sales trend have absolutely matched the same trend of my brick and mortar store as well as other local business owners I know that are in various completely unrelated businesses. My business has gone gangbusters all summer and traditionally tapers off in the fall until spring. This year has been crazy with sales but something happened in the last week. Everything came to an abrupt halt. Both online as well as locally. My phone has rang off the hook at usual but its folks looking to sell me items rather than buy. That happens every year but never turns as quickly as it has. I've had 2 other local business owners call me in the last 2 days asking how things were going. 1 said his phone quit ringing at the beginning of the week and he thought it was broken. Another said he complained all year because of the high volume of calls. Then he said Tuesday it just stopped and he's had a couple of rather wealthy customers (he's in the excavating business) call and want to put large projects on hold as they're suddenly nervous about the economy. I'd say we could very well be in for a rough winter economically or at least until the uncertainty passes.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I've been selling here for 17 years.

For the past seven years my sales always had absolutely no rhyme or reason to them. They go  up and down like a rollercoaster. Generally sales get very slow during the holidays and do well from after Christmas until around April or so - still up and down, but more up than down. After that I still sell, but sales will be more down than up.  I sell vintage books and paper items for the most part, mostly long tail items that can take a long time to sell.

When I sold handmade candles and soaps (2003 until 2013) my busiest time of the year was from October until Christmas (very, very, VERY busy time), then it was back down into the pits. I would shut down every year on Ebay from April until late August or early September because I only sold locally during that time of year. I did lots of wholesale and weddings during that time.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I've been here since 1998  and you have since 2012 (at least).

How do you sales each year compare to 2020 so far on a month to month basis?

How were sales in August 2013? In December 2018? In September 2017?

I have found over many years in retail that there are peak and valleys in every kind of selling.

And that they are repetitive.
For example, in a B&M shop, if you need a clerk's help, go around 2pm on a weekday. It will be quiet and the clerk will have time to assist you. Saturday morning on the other hand is a terrible time, with shops full of harrassed parents and restless kids.

On a larger scale, most retail businesses get more sales from November through December than in all the rest of the year.

Keeping monthly and yearly totals can be very comforting. Anything short of monthly is too erratic.

And remember the Seller Hub comparisons are on a rolling 30 day basis. Not comparing September 2019 to September 2020 but  "3/9/19 through 2/10/19" to "3/9/20 to 3/10/20".

They can be interesting, but not really useful.

downward trend starts when someone opens a return case

It is possible that the Search logarithm is sensitive to open disputes.  Not one I've seen mentioned before, but certainly possible.

Since buyers don't know who has enabled Managed Payments and who has not, I can't understand how being in MP would affect sales at all.

If anything by offering payment through ApplePay and GooglePay, you'd think the number of sales would improve.
Unless there is a saboteur in the eBay programming division, trying to put their employer out of business by hiding sellers who sign up.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

all business have same scenario.up and down..don't be panic🤗

Message 8 of 8
latest reply