cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is my "Shipping Cost" less than 5 stars?

Can someone clear up my understanding on something?

I'm not a high volume seller, but have been selling a few items a month for quite a few years now.

In any case, since Ebay started incentivizing free shipping(several years ago) I have included free domestic shipping(generally first class or priority depending on the item size/nature) on all of my items.

My international shipping is meant to be actual cost(I do NOT do GSP), although I've been known to miscalculate and have lost money before(and always refunded if it's too much). Any way you slice it, international shipping from the US is expensive.

I know from my own buying that it is not possible to leave a DSR for sellers who offer free shipping. I also seem to recall that international sales are not counted in DSRs.

So, as it sits now, I have a 4.8 out of 5 rating. Is it possible that I have missed/misunderstood a rule change about international shipping going into DSRs?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Do you ALWAYS offer free shipping?  If not, do you ever charge a handling fee?

You'd be surprised at how many people don't understand the high cost of shipping these days.  It seems high to them, and they think you are gouging.  They will hit your DSR for shipping and handling.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Yes, I ALWAYS offer free shipping and don't have a handling fee.

I do offer Express as a paid option and always have, but in 10+ years of selling I have NEVER had anyone take me up on that.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

@llllady wrote:

You'd be surprised at how many people don't understand the high cost of shipping these days.  It seems high to them, and they think you are gouging.  They will hit your DSR for shipping and handling.

If I think a erson's shipping fees are too high I hit the back button.  Why buy and complain later?

This feedback for shipping I never understood. Feedback is a buyer's oinion.  You do not like the item after you received it, OK.  Took longer to get there while not the seller's fault but OK.

Seller has c*appy communication skill - your opinion.

Shipping and handling - it is in black and white before you hit that buy button.  It is not an opinion but a fact.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

There are people whom consider any figure greater than zero to be gouging.

Block bidder list is worth your consideration

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

@campesinoplastic2014 wrote:

There are people whom consider any figure greater than zero to be gouging.

Block bidder list is worth your consideration

Like I said, unless it's international sales(which I didn't think counted) how can I get less than 5 stars when my shipping cost IS $0(always)?

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Someone is flogging your stars. In order to do so, you must be charging at least a penny on one of your sales, and for some people this is enough to make them scream "oppression". For me, they just won a trip to my BBL.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

If I think a erson's shipping fees are too high I hit the back button.  Why buy and complain later?

This feedback for shipping I never understood. Feedback is a buyer's oinion.  You do not like the item after you received it, OK.  Took longer to get there while not the seller's fault but OK.

Shipping and handling - it is in black and white before you hit that buy button.  It is not an opinion but a fact.

I do the same if they seem too high.  Unfortunately, not all buyers think that way.  They want the item, they pay, and then complain later. 

I had some ASQ about a 4 lb. item.  He told me that his wife said the shipping was too high, and she works for the USPS.   There was not one penny extra in it for handling.   That communication ended quickly, and the potential buyer was blocked.  Apparently even postal employees don't fully understand the costs of shipping.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

@ben_hutcherson wrote:

Yes, I ALWAYS offer free shipping and don't have a handling fee.

I do offer Express as a paid option and always have, but in 10+ years of selling I have NEVER had anyone take me up on that.

If all of your domestic shipping was free, then the DSR hit had to have cme from an international sale(s). 

I could be wrong, and if I am, hope someone comes along and clarifies.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

emerald40,

I have to disagree with you and I will explain why.

Say an eBay seller states in their eBay listing that item is being shipped using a fast, expensive, shipping option and the seller actually shipped the item using an alternative cheaper option and pocketing the difference in shipping costs.

To me, the DSR for shipping costs is the right one to ding and not the item description DSR.

I mean, when a buyer buys an item, the buyer is ASSUMING that the seller is describing the item accurately and honestly, right?  I mean, the seller's description is "black and white", right?  It is ONLY AFTER the buyer receives the item to discover that it's NOT as described that it's time to file SNAD and hammer the DSR for item description and take the red paint can out and go to town in the seller's feedback profile.

So, when a seller states in the eBay listing that the shipping (and handling) costs are going to be $15.00 and the item is to be sent by USPS Priority Mail and the buyer finds that the item was shipped in a poly bag with no protection for $3.50 USPS First Class postage, do you think the seller deserves a 5 star for shipping costs?  I don't.  When I receive the package, I want to be able to see some evidence that the shipping costs merited being $15.00 AFTER I got the package.

Godzilla_Goose

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@campesinoplastic2014 wrote:

Someone is flogging your stars. In order to do so, you must be charging at least a penny on one of your sales, and for some people this is enough to make them scream "oppression". For me, they just won a trip to my BBL.

I've just checked through my last 90 days of sales to confirm, and the ONLY ones where I charged shipping were international sales.

All items were listed with free domestic shipping.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

So it seems an international buyer is the culprit here.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

ben_hutcherson wrote: ... I've just checked through my last 90 days of sales to confirm, and the ONLY ones where I charged shipping were international sales.

But the DSRs are based on the past 12 months.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@godzilla_goose wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

emerald40,

Say an eBay seller states in their eBay listing that item is being shipped using a fast, expensive, shipping option and the seller actually shipped the item using an alternative cheaper option and pocketing the difference in shipping costs.

To me, the DSR for shipping costs is the right one to ding and not the item description DSR.

I mean, when a buyer buys an item, the buyer is ASSUMING that the seller is describing the item accurately and honestly, right?  I mean, the seller's description is "black and white", right?  It is ONLY AFTER the buyer receives the item to discover that it's NOT as described that it's time to file SNAD and hammer the DSR for item description and take the red paint can out and go to town in the seller's feedback profile.

So, when a seller states in the eBay listing that the shipping (and handling) costs are going to be $15.00 and the item is to be sent by USPS Priority Mail and the buyer finds that the item was shipped in a poly bag with no protection for $3.50 USPS First Class postage, do you think the seller deserves a 5 star for shipping costs?  I don't.  When I receive the package, I want to be able to see some evidence that the shipping costs merited being $15.00 AFTER I got the package.

I should have clarified but I meant if the item is sent out exactly as stated.

In your case if it really did cost $15 as evidenced by the postage.  I do not feel the buyer should be able to ding your stars saying you should have sent it the cheaper way for $3.50.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@godzilla_goose wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

emerald40,

I should have clarified but I meant if the item is sent out exactly as stated.

In your case if it really did cost $15 as evidenced by the postage.  I do not feel the buyer should be able to ding your stars saying you should have sent it the cheaper way for $3.50.

emerald40,

To me, the postage doesn't even have to indicate $15.00.  When I am rating the seller's shipping costs DSR, I take into consideration the specific nature of the item when I am trying to gauge the "reasonableness" of the shipping and handling costs the seller is charging as stated in their eBay listing BEFORE I bid/buy.

For example, IF the seller were selling a fragile, breakable item, like a ceramic beer stein, I would, as a reasonable person, expect the seller who charges what may be "high" shipping costs, to show something for it.  To me, if after receiving the package and the actual postage was say, $8.50 BUT, there was clearly things like packaging materials -- bubble wrap, tape, foam peanuts, a sturdy cardboard box, even a double box, having been used, AND that the seller DID do a terrific job of using the materials to protect the ceramic beer stein, then I can clearly see that $15.00 for shipping and handling is entirely reasonable and would give the seller a 5 star rating for shipping costs.

Last post for today.

Godzilla_Goose

Message 15 of 31
latest reply