cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does a PAYPAL claim differ from an eBay claim in their Resolution Center?

I just had a buyer file a claim with Paypal 3 weeks after the item had been tracked & delivered. She is claiming "Not as described" and wanting a 1/2 of purchase price including shipping as a refund. I do not know how PP handles these type of claims & can find no information on their site pertaining to their policies on claims. 

Has anyone experienced this type of problem & can advice me in how to go forward?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If they open a claim on PayPal they are required to pay the return shipping.  They can ask for a partial refund which you can decline and tell them to return for full refund. But they still have to pay for the return shipping. What are they claiming as the reason for return?  Is there any validity to their complaint or they fishing for a discount?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Someone who is a serial returner may have lost their ability to file any claims on eBay.  Therefore, they can no longer file an eBay claim and are using PayPal to shake you down.  If you believe that your item was as described and they are fishing for a discount just decline and tell them to return for a refund.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Here is a link to the PayPal Buyer Protection program:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

And Seller Protection policy info:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I think the buyer id looking for a 50% discount, why would you need 3 weeks to find a flaw? I closely examined the item as did my daughter-in-law who is better than me at spotting problems. It was a $100 dress with shipping included, she purchased it the 1st day I listed it and probably just has buyer's regret and 1/2 price would suit her better.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I thought of the possibility when I got the PP claim.

The problem is that on PP there really is no place to decline the buyer's request for a partial refund. I have written my rebuttal in the space provided, but PP seems to give no guidance on how to decline the buyer's request. eBay is much better in the way that works. Even in their PP Seller Protection policy, it gives no info as to having the buyer return an item for a refund.

I guess I just have to hope they do not honor her request over my asking for a return, as they hold the funds, there is not really much else I can do.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@vintageista wrote:
why would you need 3 weeks to find a flaw

I doubt your buyer needed three weeks to find a flaw. I suspect they simply didn't inspect it right away. 

Some people go on vacation, travel for work,or are just too busy and inspecting a dress they bought on eBay is simply not a high priority for them.

BTW, PayPal gives buyer 180 days to file a claim. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@vintageista wrote:

I just had a buyer file a claim with Paypal 3 weeks after the item had been tracked & delivered. She is claiming "Not as described" and wanting a 1/2 of purchase price including shipping as a refund. I do not know how PP handles these type of claims & can find no information on their site pertaining to their policies on claims. 

Has anyone experienced this type of problem & can advice me in how to go forward?

Buyers aren't as heavily favored in PP as they are in Ebay.  So your buyer did themselves a disservice by filing in PP and you a favor.

First, PP REQUIRES the buyer pay return shipping no matter what type of reason they are claiming.

Second, PP will NOT require you to partial refund the buyer.  Stand your ground.  Be firm but polite.  Return for Refund.  Stick to that an you will be fine.

Your buyer may just go away as it appears they don't really want to return the item.  And once they figure out they have to pay for the return shipping, I'm betting they will really not want to return the item.  

But you need to state professional and polite, always.  Provide them with proper customer service.  Which is if they want to return the item, you will be happy to refund them as long as the item is in the condition it was sent in.

PP claims are typically much easier to deal with than Ebay.  At least that is my experience.  And knock on wood, I've never lost a PP case or chargeback.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I think the buyer wore it a few times and a friend told her she paid too much and now she wants some money back. Please keep us updated.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply