cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I sell chipped dinnerware?

I bought a beautiful collectible coffee cup and darn if I didn't cause it to chip on the bottom.  How would you sell it on Ebay or elsewhere?

XXX Coffee mug, minor chip?

XXX coffee mug, imperfect?

Thanks all.

I've learned a lesson that I should never put dinnerware in a shopping cart.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

most of what i would suggest has already been said except: don't qualify the chip as "minor"... simply say it's chipped, take good pictures, and let bidders decide for themselves if it's minor, major, or colonel...

(that last word was a joke!)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

It has been my experience that chipped or otherwise marred fine china is virtually worthless.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

If it's a rare design,color or pattern you might stand a chance.  Search for others on ebay and see what they go for.  Be sure to show very good pictures of the defects.   Say chipped in the title and start and end the listing with it too. So there is no chance a click happy buyer will not see it.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

You would take your loss and throw it in the trash.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

I have put DAMAGED in the title, DAMAGED in condition and DAMAGED in the description. When I was selling my Wee Forest Folk collection piece by piece several years ago this worked well and damaged pieces were still sellable. Recently sold a cracked antique crock  and got positive feedback for it. 

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Make sure you mention the damage/chips/imperfections on both the TITLE and in the description. Mention it several times. Use bold text. Put it in red. Underline it. Make sure potential buyers see it. Also Include lots of pictures of the damaged. 

Even after all these precautions you still run the risk of a buyer saying "I didn't know this was chipped" and if they file a complaint, ebay will side with them ... even though you described the damage 18 times in your listing. You will be stuck accepting a return and refunding. 

Good luck and stay safe.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Use it as a pencil holder.  Damaged ceramics can be dangerous to use.  

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Call it what it is... chipped. "Imperfect" sounds more like it's a factory second.

Mostly chipped etc items only sell if it is a combination of hard to find & high dollar when/if you find one.  Generally if it would be only a display item, if for use people rarely would buy or want damaged.

If you search eBay and see several of the same thing without a chip and not very  high dollar value, don't waste your time.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

most of what i would suggest has already been said except: don't qualify the chip as "minor"... simply say it's chipped, take good pictures, and let bidders decide for themselves if it's minor, major, or colonel...

(that last word was a joke!)

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

doesn't hurt to try to list and see what happens

Just be sure you take photos of the chip and spell out the condition in the listing

worst thing you can do is just say "used - sold as is - see photos"

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

If pattern/maker is not highly collectable and very rare  not worth the time or listing fees 

yah use as a pencil holder 

It the mug marked?

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@liawrig.nq8rdwqa3 

It would help if you snap a picture of it and show us what it looks like? It depends on how " collectable" this cup is, then we could direct you correctly on what to do with it. Thanks.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Publish a picture or put a link to  the items what you are going to sell. Then any one can give an advice whether to proceed or not to proceed with a listing. 

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Carefully, there are people who intentionally look for damaged items then buy them and claim them as damaged thinking that works to get it free.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Place it in a section for target practice.  I did that once and at least got a few laughs.  😄

Message 15 of 28
latest reply