cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I opt out of seller offers just because I looked at their listing?

Just because I glance at someone's listing doesn't mean I want to be bombarded with offers. It's not on my watch list. If I wanted it I would buy it or message the seller. Please help! It is the most annoying problem tons of messages every day. It does seem desperate on their part, it's out of hand now. Stop stalking!

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

interesting. 

I only send offers under my 'Listings eligible to send offers'. 

That seems to be the problem, ebay is making too many of our items eligible for offers when buyers just aren't into them.

Message 31 of 48
latest reply

@chapeau-noir I've gotten some of these, and I've been meaning to look a little closer---yes, some are seller initiated offers, but I think in some cases ebay is sending me a message when the seller has lowered the actual price on the listing itself...so it isn't an offer, it's just a lower price...and these are not items on my watch list.

Message 32 of 48
latest reply

I'd like some clarification about this before I send out more offers.  I would ask on the monthly chat if I knew how or when to do that.

Message 33 of 48
latest reply

As a seller, I certainly don't want to annoy buyers with unwanted offers.

That being said, if an item shows up in my "eligible  to send offers"  - I will send out offers because it appears to me like the buyer is open to offers.

I think Ebay needs to NOT make buyers eligible if they just looked at an item.  That is crazy.  It isn't fair to the buyer to get unwanted offers.... and it isn't fair to the seller because their offer annoys the buyer. 

Message 34 of 48
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

interesting. 

I only send offers under my 'Listings eligible to send offers'. 

Look down your list of eligible offers - if you see the watch count as "0", that person doesn't have their item on their watch list, yet have viewed it a certain amount of times - I always have quite a few of those mixed in. I don't send offers for those because I personally feel like it's kind of pushy to be hassling people at that level, but whether or not one does, I wonder if eBay changed the view criteria so that the OP and others are getting so many of these offers.

@sextons-sweet-deals 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 35 of 48
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@chapeau-noir I've gotten some of these, and I've been meaning to look a little closer---yes, some are seller initiated offers, but I think in some cases ebay is sending me a message when the seller has lowered the actual price on the listing itself...so it isn't an offer, it's just a lower price...and these are not items on my watch list.

I've gotten one or two of those notifications, too, and they say that the seller has discounted the item, but IIRC, they ARE on my watch list - I haven't gotten a notification in any other case. Are those items ones that you've looked at a few times? @my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

Personally, I don't mind the offers and discount notifications, but I don't get a ton of them, either. It would bother me to be bombarded with them, though.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 36 of 48
latest reply

I never minded when sellers send messages that the price has been lowered on items on my watch list, but right now i have so many messages stating "because you have viewed this item, you have an offer", just from viewing something for a quick second. i shop around alot & enjoy looking at different items on ebay, but it's gotten to the point that I don't want to click on just anything anymore. i'm becoming an intentional shopper....all these messages/offers have taken the fun out of the "just looking for now". i might've come back to buy, but won't buy when feeling harassed 

Message 37 of 48
latest reply

To opt out of seller offers on eBay, follow these steps:

1. Go to the "Account" dropdown menu in the top right corner of the eBay homepage.
2. Select "Account settings".
3. Scroll down to the "Communication preferences" section.
4. Under "Seller offers", toggle the switch to "Off".
5. Confirm the change.

This will prevent sellers from sending you offers based on your browsing history. Note that you may still receive offers if you've previously expressed interest in a seller's items or if you've purchased from them before. To stop all offers, including those based on purchase history, toggle the "All purchase-related offers" switch to "Off" in the same "Communication preferences" section.

Message 38 of 48
latest reply

Hi! i have done this but the offers were still coming in for a couple of days after, but! this morning...no offers! did not wake up to 20 plus offers in my notifications/messages! I'm thinking that it might've taken a couple of days to come into effect plus I did take the advice of another person & log out/back in so that might've also helped. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post this info. I think it will be very helpful to others that have been feeling the same way as I do & could not find any real info on this subject. Thank you!!!!

Message 39 of 48
latest reply

I have had it unchecked for a year or two, and still get offers.

Prior to what I call the "kindergarten look", when the preferences looked different/smaller, it worked for me. But  when they switched to what it is now, I had it unchecked - didn't work, checked and saved/unchecked again and saved - still doesn't work. 

Must work for everyone else because those that answer here often give the advice you have been given. Just tossing out there that it might not "fix" it. I do use Opera as a browser, so maybe it just doesn't save it properly or something.

Message 40 of 48
latest reply

I also find it very annoying. If I wanted to purchase the item I would have. If I was not willing to pay the listed price I would not have bothered to look at the listing.

If the seller is willing to take less for the item why not list it at the lower price?  I understand hoping to get maximum dollar for any item but why turn off future buyers who figure since you're willing to sell for less all of your items must be overpriced to begin with?

FWIT, I have not purchased anything from any seller who sent me an offer. I have purchased identical items at a higher price from sellers who don't annoy me.

To each his own  🙂 

Message 41 of 48
latest reply

100% agree! it's such a turn off! I will & have paid more $ to sellers that haven't sent offers. 

Message 42 of 48
latest reply

as many have told u you cant opt out but what you could do always is  clear your  recently views thats where everything you looked at is saved clear during or after you done other wise  im sure you have a bunch just stacking up hope that help i do it almost every day and when i forget  there  comes the offer good  luck 

Message 43 of 48
latest reply

i have followed the same recommendations as what i think was "best answer" if you need to use this. it actually did take a couple of days to work, but i haven't had any offer messages/notifications for 2 days now. i'm thrilled. try it & thank you for your advise also! I haven't been clearing/cleaning out browser history, but now i am. 

Message 44 of 48
latest reply

@glowin_bewtie wrote:

Stop stalking!

Quit stalking sellers and they will quit stalking you

Message 45 of 48
latest reply