cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did seller get feedback removed?

So this question is to understand how a seller got feedback removed when I made a purchase as a buyer, since I'm not aware of what "method" they used to justify getting the feedback removed.

A seller offered a given fabric per foot, in various colors with returns accepted. I ordered one color and found out that their poorly lighted (on a dim table with no quality lighting) and differently white balanced listing images did not properly reflect the item's color. Various pictures of the same item in the listing didn't even look the same color. And I use a professionaly color calibrated graphic monitor (for photography) so the problem wasn't on my end.

Granted, I understand this can happen so I contacted the seller asking if a small sample could be received of 2 or 3 colors to avoid having to order the whole quantity I needed of each color. If they sent the samples, I'd simply keep the item I couldn't make use of, and buy the one I need in the quantity I needed. They never responded. I wrote again. They didn't respond.

So I ordered a second color. It was also substantially different. I ordered the third color and that one turned out good for my use. Since I was being ignored, I opened a legitimate return request for the colors I wasn't able to use. I opened it as "Not needed" even though a "Not as described" case would have been accepted (in Ebay's eyes) because I know it sucks to received them. The shipping fees were also inflated on this item, so I know I was sacrificing getting them refunded by being polite to the seller, despite having an arguable case.

And then the seller immediately contacted me. I asked them why they were writing now, and not to my previous messages, and they openly admitted they were ignoring them. I told them it was fine and perfectly reasonable to not send samples, but just let the buyer know, don't ignore them as that is horrible customer attention. That bothered me, and when I let them know they told me it wasn't their responsibility to post better pictures, it was mine to better investigate the  product codes on the internet (for a generic product in which codes mean little). That bothered me even more.

So I left one negative feedback stating it was for openly admitting to ignoring my messages, one neutral feedback stating that better listing images should be used, and one positive feedback just to balance out a bit since the third order went okay. I just checked and the Negative and Neutral feedbacks were removed, despite being legitimate, for different causes and different orders. What arguments could the seller use to justify that and report them? Just to know if as a seller I can apply them too if it ever happens to me.

Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: How did seller get feedback removed?

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I didn't read all the replies, but you wanted something a seller had and they ignored your messages. At that point it was your responsibility to walk away from that seller. You didn't, so no sympathy.  Not condoning ignored messages, but, it was your choice to purchase anyway. 

I understand not reading, but this question isn't for sympathy, I'm just curious about how it was removed should I be able to use the same method to get feedback removed in the future. The rest is just context.

Again, that's something only known in hindsight. I didn't know the questions were ignored until the seller said so, after the purchases had been made and the return request was opened. Until then I just thought the messages slipped through the cracks. Careless maybe but not negligent, and that wouldn't justify negative feedback if it was only that. And again, they are the sole seller of this item so I didn't really have any other options besides buying and hoping for the best. And I ended up getting the suitable item on the third try. The item was fine, it was the customer service and listing description which was lackluster.

Message 46 of 93
latest reply

@gsf_tech

I understand your position and that is what you would do.

But most sellers would  not, I think.

And would be very surprised that you would even ask that, let alone comply.

Just my take on it.

Message 47 of 93
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@gsf_tech wrote:

@starroute-us wrote:

": How did seller get feedback removed?"

By calling ebay, stating actual facts and having the CSR read all the messages between you and the seller.

Probably had some policy in hand as well.

Good grief:(:(:( 

I need to remember more often how canabilistic other sellers are on this forum. It's as if everyone feels entitled to fill in the blanks with whatever makes the other party look justified. Because of course, starroute-us knows exactly what was in those messages, and exactly why I was in fault. All hail starroute-us!

Starroute-us happens to be a very helpful poster who helps sellers for no cost when they are being abused, used, manipulated and taken advantage of.  All hail starroute-us is correct, you got that right. 

Maybe I took it the wrong way, I'll admit that. It's hard to know with what intention the post is written, and after spending a while reading messages here which blame the buyer, I'm starting to get a bit annoyed as everyone can understand. If it wasn't malicious, then I apologize. 

Message 48 of 93
latest reply

Reading comprehension is my forte. Just because I didn't answer the thread's question doesn't mean I didn't answer the thread's lesson. 

Message 49 of 93
latest reply

@gsf_tech wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I didn't read all the replies, but you wanted something a seller had and they ignored your messages. At that point it was your responsibility to walk away from that seller. You didn't, so no sympathy.  Not condoning ignored messages, but, it was your choice to purchase anyway. 

I understand not reading, but this question isn't for sympathy, I'm just curious about how it was removed should I be able to use the same method to get feedback removed in the future. The rest is just context.

Again, that's something only known in hindsight. I didn't know the questions were ignored until the seller said so, after the purchases had been made and the return request was opened. Until then I just thought the messages slipped through the cracks. Careless maybe but not negligent, and that wouldn't justify negative feedback if it was only that. And again, they are the sole seller of this item so I didn't really have any other options besides buying and hoping for the best. And I ended up getting the suitable item on the third try. The item was fine, it was the customer service and listing description which was lackluster.

@gsf_tech

So sorry but you did have other options as numerous posters have stated in this thread.

You could have walked away and bought a listing where you were sure the item would work for you.

The items were not fine because you returned two out of the three purchases, as you stated.

Message 50 of 93
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@gsf_tech

I understand your position and that is what you would do.

But most sellers would  not, I think.

And would be very surprised that you would even ask that, let alone comply.

Just my take on it.

For fabrics and color dependant, it's pretty standard practice. Just ask any paint vendor for a swatch book. Regardless, like I said, I wouldn't hold it against a seller to say no. I perfectly understand that, and would appreciate a seller writing back to say it isn't possible. It's saying that they didn't respond because they didn't deem it worth the time what annoyed me. Pretty undestandable. Imagine someone turning around and walking away when you asked them a question in a physical store.

Message 51 of 93
latest reply

I actually completely disagree that you wanting to return was wrong.  That's exactly what accepting returns is for.  If a seller accepts returns they accept them for any reason.  You wanting samples would have actually benefited the seller in that they wouldn't have had to worry with the hassle of returns.  Seems like it would have been a good idea.  Although completely the sellers choice not to. I agree she should have at least responded saying she wouldn't.   Regardless you bought anyhow to try and find what would work for you and returned what didn't.  Completely within the sellers return policy.  And very good that you didn't open not as described this wouldn't fall under that and would be wrong.   Now I probably wouldn't have left bad feedback though.  After all it was your choice to take that risk of buying anyhow.  There is a number of reasons it could have been removed if the seller tried to prove you left it because you didn't get samples it would have been removed   If you mentioned feedback in communication with the seller.  Or it could just be because your ratio of negs to positives is so high   

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 52 of 93
latest reply

Life is the art of the possible. thinking

Anyway, I'm signing off. It's obvious we aren't getting anywhere. 

Message 53 of 93
latest reply

I agree with other sellers opinions of your case.  I think you came here for some self-validation of some kind.  You requested samples from a listing that did not offer samples, I believe you fully expected to receive merchandise without paying for it.  You clearly stated you would "keep"what you didnt like and pay for what you did.  I am curious what you felt would have been an appropriate "sample" size to send you?  You also clearly felt there was a discrepency in the pictures and the item.  Don't play coy on this aspect and state you didn't realize that till after your received your order.  You demonstrate in your posting that you have a professionally calibrated monitor.  So you DO understand color discrepencies and should be able to clearly identify pictures that may not be accurate.  You stated that pictures of the same item were different from one picture to the next, so you DID know.

From reviewing your feedback left for sellers of purchases youve made, it seems you do have an issue with what your expectations are.  I think you would do whatever it took to "get your way?"  I buy items on a regular basis from ebay sellers, and I have never ran into the number of bad experiences that you seem to have had (according to your feedback left).

I dont think this is a case where your wanting to know merely how someone got their feedback removed, I think you are **bleep** off that someone got something over on you.  Why would you monitor your feedback other than making sure you could "STICK IT" to someone else, which seems like you have a clear record of enjoying to do.  You clearly ordered a product you knew you would be sending back.  

I would recommend not coming to the forums in an attempt to stroke your ego, it was clear from the first several responses that you weren't pulling the wool over anyones eyes!

Message 54 of 93
latest reply

This isn't a trial, and there is actually no standard of proof for eBay or PayPal.  The buyer says the item is SNAD?  Then for return purposes, the item is SNAD.  PayPal will allow the return if eBay will not; and PayPal will refund return label cost if purchased at retail price.

I agree with the poster who said the seller could have called, given the rep a story, and gotten fb removed.  We like to think that systems are followed and policies are implemented as they "should" be.  We are comforted by our belief that everyone follows the rules - and that something will happen to people who do not.

But we all know none of that is true.  There are always fewer watchers than those who are being watched.  (Think about employee theft or, heck, do a google for panopticon and think about that concept in terms of digital surveillance)

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 55 of 93
latest reply

@lintbrush* wrote:

@gsf_tech wrote:

Yes, it was for the item for which I sent the messages. Given that it was, then I assume you mean it wouldn't qualify.

This seller is the sole seller for this item, so it wasn't out of doing it maliciously, it was out of necessity. In either case your speaking out of hindsight bias, I couldn't have known that the color was wrong until after I ordered and received it, and I was unaware of the seller ignoring my messages until the return request was opened, which was after all the items were ordered.

I'm just trying to offer up suggestions why the seller may have been able to get them approved.  There are a few circumstances where neg/neutrals will be removed.  The message thing was just a thought and not an accustation.

Even though you seem fairly rational, inflection is always lost in type and it's easy to manipulate or misinterpret intent. 

Buying 2 more items after experiencing dissatisfaction with 1 because of poor photography skills isn't going to likely result in better experiences (although 1 worked for you).  The seller could've convinced customer service that your intent was indeed malicious and there is a policy for that.  I'm just trying to figure it out.

If this is a competitor (even if not the exact items but similar), that could also be the reason for removal.

Excessive negatives show a history/pattern and that can also lead to feedback washing.   And your history is quite bumpy - even though you seem to be a great seller.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buying-practices.html

Its just more proof that sellers make the worst buyers. Negatives left for not accepting paypal, and having a restocking fee. Nuetrals because OP wishes the seller would combine or make shipping adjustments. Another poor seller got a negative rating but a positive comment! Multiple feedback violations in his FB left for others.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 56 of 93
latest reply

@gsf_tech

People are not trying to annoy you here.  I am sorry you feel that way.  They are pointing out that you chose to go ahead when you received no response to messages and when the pictures were of poor quality.

They mentioned your high percentage of bad feedback left, which indicates high dissatisfaction on your part.

IOW, the unsatisfactory experiences you are outlining could have been avoided in the first place by your decision to walk away.  

A previous poster mentioned malicious buying and you said you were not a competitor.

eBay defines malicious buying as buying when you have no intention of completing the transaction.

When you buy wanting to see what it looks like, that can be construed as not having an intention to complete the transaction, because you are leaving it open to the possibility of a return due to poor pictures and the color not working for you.  So it can be said you really had no intention, truly, of completing the transaction.  

Unwelcome and malicious buying: We consider bidding on or buying an item when you have no intention of completing the transaction, or circumventing a seller's buyer requirements, to be unwelcome and malicious buying.

Hope this makes sense.  People here are not cannabalistic; they are realistic, but sometimes people don't like what they hear.

Message 57 of 93
latest reply

@gsf_tech wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Seller could have decided to give up selling after your transaction.

Are you suggesting they have other bad feedback?  Did you know this before purchasing and decide to go ahead anyway as you did by choosing to go ahead in spite of not knowing the color due to bad pictures?

I don't know what you are implying here but this is what it appears to be.

No, don't worry, you understood that wrong. That was about another poster mentioning something about a German seller I left negative feedback for. Even I'm unsure about what the other poster meant.

Just to get it out and not confuse, that was most likely about an unrelated seller selling items they didn't yet have in stock, not accepting Paypal payments and asking for payment via bank account (for international shipments of 400$ items), despite showing Paypal as the preferred method in their listing like every other Ebay seller. All that while claiming the item had been shipped (when it hadn't) and not responding to questions. As you can imagine negative feedback rained on them and they were promptly kicked out of ebay.  If that doesn't merit negative feedback, I don't know what does.

You left negative feedback for a seller in Germany because they do not accept paypal. Sellers are not required to accept paypal and its not the prefered payment method in Germany. If the listing did not state paypal was accepted then your feedback was uncalled for and ridiculous. 

Message 58 of 93
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

This isn't a trial, and there is actually no standard of proof for eBay or PayPal.  The buyer says the item is SNAD?  Then for return purposes, the item is SNAD.  PayPal will allow the return if eBay will not; and PayPal will refund return label cost if purchased at retail price.

No they won't. That's not actual paypal policy. Paypal has a return shipping program that one must enroll in BEFORE the purchase is made and paypal will reimburse up to $30, up to a certain number of returns per year. 

Message 59 of 93
latest reply

@gsf_tech wrote:

Life is the art of the possible. thinking

Anyway, I'm signing off. It's obvious we aren't getting anywhere. 

With all due respect, I say, Ditto.  Probably I am joined in that sentiment by those who posted that you could have walked away due to bad pictures and no response.

Just a thought.  Thank you for  posting.  Good luck in the future to you.

Message 60 of 93
latest reply