cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can other sellers get double what I'm asking for things I can't even sell?

I've never been a seller before but have recently begun to buy items at flea markets, etc and resell them. I listed 10 auctions at $15 each and got 13 views total with all auctions in 5 days. So I took all of my auctions down. I've looked at similar completed auctions and some identical items sold for $20+ recently. Why does nobody even view my things and how can other's get like double what I'm asking for things I can't even sell?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: How can other sellers get double what I'm asking for things I can't even sell?

Where are you seeing their listings?

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Re: How can other sellers get double what I'm asking for things I can't even sell?

It's important to understand that many bidders don't bid until the last day of the auction, some don't bid until as close as they can cut it to the very last moment. So by ending your auctions early, you may have cheated yourself out of some perfectly good sales.

There really is no point to ending an auction early because your cost of listing, whether it's free or not, doesn't change based on the end result. So as long as you set the minimum opening bid correctly — that is, at the lowest you're willing to accept for the item — it doesn't cost you anything to let the auction go to the end.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

In your situation, auctions are only good for those items that aren't available anywhere else.

Think of it this way. If there are 1000 listings for a Harry Potter dvd priced anywhere fron $2 to $20, who would bid on an auction and wait?

I'd set a buy it now for a little less than others sell for. And then let them ride.

Are you listing a "Milk glass plate" when others are listing a "Westmoreland ring and petal 9" plate"?

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I'm not seeing anything listed under this ID.  Are you selling under another?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

wrote:

Why does nobody even view my things and how can other's get like double what I'm asking for things I can't even sell?

There can be any number of reasons. Here are just a few examples: 

• The search terms buyers are using match their items but not yours
  • Buyers may prefer fixed price to auction
  • Something about your listings is a turn-off
  • The buyers are not very good at finding the lowest prices
  • The condition of your items is a turn-off
  • Your descriptions do not give sufficient information
  • Your shipping costs are too high
  • Your items specifics are not as complete as other sellers
Message 20 of 22
latest reply

I would start some auctions low, and get a few sales. Start to get your selling rep up then start to up your prices. 

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

If OP is selling clothes, that's possibly the worst category to try to sell in.

High competition, high risk of loss of items and money, high chance of hassles. 

I have things on in other categories that were the only ones listed at all for a while, or are the lowest price available on eBay and they're going nowhere, it makes no sense to me either.  I can post a thing that sold two or three times in a set range and mine doesn't sell for weeks or months.  Then I get one odd item that's unsual and it gets 750 hits, 60 watchers, and sells for seven times what I paid for it. 

Message 22 of 22
latest reply