cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are sellers handling the 8% postal and Ebay fee increase ?

I removed handling charges from all listings expect for media ones. Those I only lowered from 35 cents to 8 cents to maintain the $4 cost. All other items I lowered the asking price by 50 cents each. Took most of the morning to get things back to where they where before the outrageous increase. I am also thinking about apologizing to my buyers in the description for the crazy cost of shipping.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

All your sold listings are priority or first class. I do not use those. I am not talking about what you paid, I am talking about what the "buyer" sees on the actual listing.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

There have been no outrageous increases.  Yes, Price for Media Mail increased between 7 and 8%.  But Priority Mail did not change at all, and when First Class package got renamed as Ground Advantage, those prices did not change either.

The prices for Retail Ground and Parcel Select ground did not take any big jump when they got renamed. Some prices increased a little and some even decreased.  I think you are seeing the retail price for Ground Advantage and that your listings used to show Parcel Select Ground, which was the online rate.  If you want to show buyers the online prices for Ground Advantage, you have to set your site preferences so that you "Offer carrier-specific discounts for buyers":

https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

If that's not the solution then we can probably help if you provide specific details, including package weight and dimensions, service(s) used (e.g., Priority Mail? Parcel Select Ground?),  and both exact prices.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

@nickelsanddimes2015   Yes, I know that but I do not have listings that can ship first class. I am talking about everything that weights more than a pound. Everyone who has responded so far sells lightweight items so I have to assume they do not realize the increase.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

I noticed the increase in media mail prices a few days ago.  I sure don't remember reading anything about that.  Now I need to raise the prices on my (already long tail) books.  I honestly don't know how the USPS gets away with so many price increases in a year...every year.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect   Thanks. I think you may have helped me out. I do not want to charge buyers those outrageous amounts. Like I previously said my listings averaged around $7.18 shown to buyers and as of Monday they changed to $8.50 shown to my buyers.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

Buyers will not pay $8.50 shipping for a $7.00 T-shirt,

Will buyers pay $15.95 with Free Shipping for a tee shirt?

Will buyers pay $17.95 with Free Shipping for a toy?

Are the items you sell not suitable for mail order?

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

I sell things from 4oz to 10-12 lbs and haven't seen a change.It all depends on where it goes and the dimensions Ive actually seen a decrease in Priority mail for items shipped to zones 1-3 but all the ones that go to zone 8 are the same.

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@dirk12955 wrote:

Like all the other increases I've dealt with since becoming a seller on ebay?

Find a way to make the buyer pay for it.

Cannot do that. Buyers will not pay...

Yeah they will, they do it millions of times every single day 

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

@coolections

Stamp dealers sell single stamps, but also collections, binders, boxes.

While most of my single stamps could ship for 92c/$1.30 Cdn (plus packaging) it's equally likely that I will want to track  a $100-$500 item, which is expensive, especially internationally.

For this item, (Lot #3)  we hand delivered. The company president took a plane to the owner's home in another country.

https://sparks-auctions.com/tag/twelve-penny-black/page/4/Lot-3VGG2013cert.jpg

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

Same as always; raise prices.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

@coolections ,

Media mail did go up  but most other packages stayed the sale or went down slightly. Also, packages come with $100.00 insurance now except media mail.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Buyers will not pay $8.50 shipping for a $7.00 T-shirt,

Will buyers pay $15.95 with Free Shipping for a tee shirt?

Will buyers pay $17.95 with Free Shipping for a toy?

Are the items you sell not suitable for mail order?

Yes. I still find it amazing when people talk about how they (or buyers) won't pay such and such price for shipping while not referring to the grand total price out of pocket. I've had buyers not want to pay $10 shipping for a $4 shirt, but would go ahead and pay $15 for the same shirt with free shipping. Use that backwards thinking against them and do free shipping then.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy ,

Unfortunately the USPS is immune to the high inflation we have had the last couple of years. I personally think it is a bargain for have a book shipped  for less than $4.00 across the country. 

It costs more than $10.00 for a McDonalds value meal or $4.00 for a bag of Doritos at the grocery store.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@dirk12955 wrote:

Find a way to make the buyer pay for it.

Cannot do that.

Then you have answered your own question. You will have to pay for it.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

If shipping costs went up 8%; then they did and buyers will just have to pay it. 

They would have to pay it anywhere. 

But, do you really think a $7 shirt shipping for $7 was ok, but now that same $7 shirt with $8 shipping is not?

If you think that; raise the price of the 'shirt' and not the shipping. Now, $8 shirt, $7 ship??

Message 30 of 32
latest reply