cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How about placing same listing dozens of times (see description)?

Does posting same ad dozens of times on eBay with different pictures for each ad and a different description help with the chances of the ad being seen by visitors and thus the chances of selling it if you want to sell without using the promotion option?
Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: How about placing same listing dozens of times (see description)?

@dakbat-61 

There is an eBay prohibition against duplicate listings.

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

@dakbat-61 wrote:
Does posting same ad dozens of times on eBay with different pictures for each ad and a different description help with the chances of the ad being seen by visitors and thus the chances of selling it if you want to sell without using the promotion option?

The only chances that would help are the chance of eBay pulling those listings because having duplicate listings is a policy violation. 
Duplicate listings policy

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

No, it is cluttering the field with spam. If you are not willing to promote then how is it fair for the sellers that do?

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

@dakbat-61 wrote:

What it guarantees is you being booted off of eBay for multiple violations of the rules.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

This is eBay—there is no way to game the system, especially as a new seller.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

There's a seller I know of who's been getting away with it for years and she's in my main category so it's really frustrating having to compete with her glut of listings.  And that would be bad enough, but because I also source a lot on eBay, I've had to learn how to identify her thumbnails so I don't waste time opening them.  I'm sure tons of other buyers feel the same way.  

What she offers is "grab bag" pre-owned jewelry lots, where the buyer doesn't get to see what pieces they'll receive, only get an idea from her photos of jewelry piles, although her feedback is full of red and gray -people angry about the low quality of what they actually received compared to the photos, and oh boy you should see her horrendous replies. She's not the only seller who offers these 'mystery' lots; there are many.  But she takes it to a grotesque level with duplication.  She offers the lots in a few different quantity amounts, also 2 qualities: "junk" and "all good".   All in all, there are only maybe 8 or 9 unique packages, so really there should be just that many listings with each having "__ available", right?  Oh but no, you see by using slight changes in title, price (including price vs. shipping), and of course meaningless photos of jewelry she sold ages ago ..... she has a total of 151 listings!  And she rotates her RE-listing like machine gun blasts, sometimes taking up WHOLE PAGES of search results, and there are always some on page 1 of 'sort by newly listed, even in the middle of the night.  

I've considered reporting her, but I really would be shocked if she hasn't already been reported dozens of times.  Here's the thing -she definitely promotes the poop out of her listings, because they're all over those spots as well as regular search results, and they've been there as long as I can remember, so I believe she was one of the earliest to jump on the promotion bandwagon, at least in this category.  I'm sure she's a darling as far as eBay's concerned, and I can only imagine what else she gets away with. 

296644B5-5D01-459E-B724-9B25C0D066AB_1_201_a.jpeg

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

@gurlcat 

Maybe I'm mistaken, but if each listing is for a unique lot of jewelry---that is, none of the lots she is selling contain completely identical items ---then these are not duplicate listings. Am I wrong about that?

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

@dakbat-61 wrote:

It is easier than that, just take a listing and add a number into the title and post it as many times as you want, just fill the whole search results with your widget, you cant loose.

This of course is against ebay policy but they do not really appear to enforce it

Does it help? I would say no, it just annoys people 

Incredible useful cant live without it widget 1

Incredible useful cant live without it widget 2

Incredible useful cant live without it widget 3

Incredible useful cant live without it widget 4

Incredible useful cant live without it widget 5

Incredible useful cant live without it widget 6

Incredible useful cant live without it widget 7

Incredible useful cant live without it widget 8

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Not to mention that if you sell that one widget, you had better end the other umpteen listings immediately, lest you sell more of them, which you won't have to fulfill those orders.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

And ebay won't do anything about it. I've reported duplicate listings, nothing, called in and the rep was WOW that's against the rules, nothing.

I could give you a list of at least a dozen duplicate listings or just put a #1,#2,#3 at the end. I don't mean just one or two, some have 8-10 listings. I guessing their too stupid to understand supply and demand, flood the market, prices drop.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@gurlcat 

Maybe I'm mistaken, but if each listing is for a unique lot of jewelry---that is, none of the lots she is selling contain completely identical items ---then these are not duplicate listings. Am I wrong about that?

No.  You're not.

I get occasional accusations of doing this, and it's not true.

I source inventory from commercial operations (body shops, wrecking yards, auto dealerships).  If I get a bag of 20 key fobs for late model VWs and they may be differnt quality, color, specs, etc. - but they look identical. 

I list all 20 of them at slightly differing prices, shipping options, I'll even put a couple in different but related classifications.  

It looks like duplicate listings, but they are all different units of the same make/model/year, sprinkled thinly throughout the site. 

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

And ebay won't do anything about it. I've reported duplicate listings, nothing, called in and the rep was WOW that's against the rules, nothing.

I could give you a list of at least a dozen duplicate listings or just put a #1,#2,#3 at the end. I don't mean just one or two, some have 8-10 listings. I guessing their too stupid to understand supply and demand, flood the market, prices drop.

where I noticed it was with items that a seller would normally have many of, it can be done either with slightly different pictures or slightly different descriptions.

Another thing that is done on ebay motors is take say a tire pressure gauge and make as many different listings as you want each fits a different vehicle

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

Yes, it's all over automotive too...

Some silly item that fits whatever cars like a fuse...

20a FUSE fits Ford

20a FUSE fits Chevrolet

20a FUSE fits Chrysler

20a FUSE fits Dodge

20a FUSE fits Pontiac

20a FUSE fits Porsche

20a FUSE fits BMW

20a FUSE fits AMC

20a FUSE fits MG

20a FUSE fits Jaguar

20a FUSE fits Mercedes

20a FUSE fits Rolls Royce

20a FUSE fits Kia

20a FUSE fits Honda

20a FUSE fits Subaru

20a FUSE fits Toyota

20a FUSE fits Lincoln

20a FUSE fits Maybach

20a FUSE fits Bugatti

20a FUSE fits Koenigsegg

20a FUSE fits Volkswagen

20a FUSE fits Volvo

20a FUSE fits Saab

20a FUSE fits GMC

20a FUSE fits Mercury

20a FUSE fits Plymouth

20a FUSE fits Buick

20a FUSE fits Oldsmobile

20a FUSE fits Austin Healey

20a FUSE fits Aston Martin

20a FUSE fits Renault

20a FUSE fits Fiat

20a FUSE fits Peugeot

20a FUSE fits Hyundai

20a FUSE fits mom's car too

I'll stop here but there's more and if you really want to duplicate you can start listing models too.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

@dakbat-61 wrote:

I sell used parts. No two are "identical".   Back in the day you could have 100 identical titles with different pics.
Example: A whole bunch of 1997 Chevy Truck Alternators, listed one at a time because each was the same item, but different condition/appearance.   As long as the photo's (and maybe description) were different, there was no issue.  
Pretty sure this was because a real live hooman was making these decisions for eBay on duplicate listings.

As of now?  You can get away with duplicates by changing the titles a bit.  As long as the titles are different, a "bot" thinks the listings are different.   And even for a few identical titles/listings?  Doubt anything would happen.  Lately I've reported quite a few EXACT IDENTICALS, and nothing ever happens.  
So, between getting away with it-vs-getting in trouble?  Probably 50/50 chance.

As for your question:  That does not work.   I have listed 40 of the same item, different variations.
Such as:
97 Chevy Truck Alternator 
98 Chevy Truck Alternator
1997 Chevy Truck Alternator
1998 Chevy Truck Alternator
1997 Chevy Truck Alternator 2 quantity
97 Chevy Alternator 2
        Get the picture plus 34 more?
    Out of 40 listings like that? 
Only two or three will show up when you search "Chevy Truck Alternator".
You can find more of them, but you really have to get creative and know how to search.  Even then, most of them will just NOT be shown in a search.
For those that think eBay's search doesn't manipulate results?  Try it and see.

So, No it does not help. Any more than two or three Like listings....  Is not going to help you own a search result.

Message 15 of 36
latest reply