cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Ebay cheats sellers

I recently sold an item which was listed as buyer pays shipping. I specifically put in the exact wieght of the package and the dimensions. Ebay gave a range of 16-84 dollars. The auction ended and Ebay tells the buyer to pay $25 for shipping and then charges me $35 dollars for shipping. And then are they going to charge me a final fee value on the $10 they cheated me out of. I sure somewhere in Terms and Conditions that they can legally cheat sellers. I have a lot of antiques to sell, but I can't deal with this dishinestly. Any recommendations for other online auction sites.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

How Ebay cheats sellers

Totally let the website mislead me. I quit ebay for a long time because there were problems many years ago a lot of us know that. Facebook Marketplace gives you straight up pricing with shipping options and no **bleep**. Ebay could fix their algorithims but they choose not too. I sure they get kickbacks from the PO. Thank you

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

When you are on the the page where you put in the weight and dimensions. They give you a range of what it will cost depending on the code. You haven't seen that? I did not know they gave the buyer an option and then they sure as heck don't tell the seller that. I don't buy from Ebay.

Message 17 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

Itemid 275083086289. Thank you

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

I saw that but the shipping label was Priority and $35. So how does the buyer get to select the service and the seller does not know what that is there is no notification sent to the seller to know that. Still confused. Thank you though.

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

Just a comment..............I've been here since 2004 and shipped many pieces of ceramics.......along with alot of other stuff..........  NEVER had an error such as this that I couldn't track back to an error of my own in entering the weight or dimensions.  Usually it's because I haven't entered the proper (packed) dimensions in the listing.......   Since that planter is 11" x11" x 9"...........it could easily go to dimensional size when packed and cost alot more to ship..........

Message 20 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

Same here.

Ate a $10 difference last month - the mistake was mine.

Message 21 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

Thank you I think you are the only one really gets it. It is in the Ebay algorithums.  I still don't understand how the buyer picks shipping and pays I don't see that anywhere. I put in the weight and dimensions on the listing before listing that is where they show a range of 16-84 depending on the zip code which we don't know when listing. Those figures were exactly what showed up on the label. So where does that buyer selected show up so I know what to look for. Item id 275083086289. I quit doing ebay a few years ago because I knew I was getting screwed on the shipping and other like they try to get you to list for .99 all the time/ so I did on one item just to see what happened and I made  .09 after fees that doesn't even pay for the bag and a negative for the ink for the label. I have a lot of antiques my kids don't want I would to find a nice home for guess I'll just do Marketplace. Thanks for your help.

Message 22 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

@this*old*attic 

I just had one that I entered 14# instead of ounces.........and actually sold it for that. Yes, the buyer got a refund of the excess.........

Message 23 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

ebay does not give the buyer an option....you do when you make the listing (I notice you also offered free pickup)...

when the buyer checks out, they are presented all 3 options (or however many you put in your listing when you set it up)....buyer chooses option, ebay calculates shipping for that option based on your weight/dimensions, and presents that price to your buyer and adds to the sale price..

When you go to print your label, the option buyer selected (and that you must have offered because ebay just does not make up options) is noted in the information panel on the right column of the print label page 

Order details

(you need to click "See More") near the bottom

it will say which shipping option the customer chose...then you just have to select the proper class from the label options....(sometimes the wrong class will be checked off i.e Priority even though customer selected parcel select)

hope that explains what I was pointing out....

Message 24 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

@zickbearcat wrote:

I saw that but the shipping label was Priority and $35. So how does the buyer get to select the service and the seller does not know what that is there is no notification sent to the seller to know that. Still confused. Thank you though.

The buyer can only select from options that YOU have enabled. Just a couple of weeks ago I had a potential buyer ask me if they could pay extra for Priority shipping for an item they wanted to give as a Christmas gift, so I edited the listing and added Priority Mail as a shipping option to allow them to select that. They were not able to select it until I had added it to the listing because when I created the listing, I had only enabled First Class shipping as an option.

Message 25 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

I don't use usps labels so I can't duplicate it for you. But from what I remember,  when you go to the label page they usually show you a few different shipping options. On one them, there will be   'buyer selected' highlighted in gray.

In post 3 you were asked for some information.  If you give that information, I'm sure that poster will be able to tell you what the problem is.  

Message 26 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

ok thanks

Message 27 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

The dimensions of the packed box were 18x16x15. that was what I entered when listing.

Message 28 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

@zickbearcat When I print a label, there is a place where it tells me what the buyer paid AND which shipping option the buyer chose.  Does that not show up for you?

Message 29 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

I guess the only way for me to figure this out is to list and get to the postage screen and see what you are talking about. Thank you.

Message 30 of 47
latest reply