cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide listings or not during 2 weeks vacation out of the country?

I am going to be on vacation in September for 2 weeks, and I will be out of the country.  Usually I put my items on vacation and hide them.  However, last time I did that, also during fall - my sales have suffered horribly for a whole month after I came back and made listings visible again, I felt invisible.  

Fall is a best time for me here and I really cannot afford to loose sales, which are not that great to start with, so that was a bummer.  

I am debating if this time I should take my chances - appropriate extend the shipping/handling time and keep my listings visible, available for sale.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

@honestabe411 wrote:

You could always bulk edit your handling time. 

I've read horror stories of sellers listing being hidden after vacation mode. It's funny because eBay even mentions this in their vacation mode policy. Says something like 'it may take a few days for your listings to show back up in the search results'.  

For that exact reason, I set my handling time to 5 days when I went on a week vacation.  The weekend didn't count as handling time so when I was gone for 7 days everything worked out great. 

Think i sold 20-30 items that week and didn't have one issue!

Hope this helps!

-HonestAbe411

I too went away for a week. I put my shipping duration out to 10 days and put my store on vacation. I also added vacation messages and out of office messages to respond to inquiries. I actually sold more than week than when I was home the week before. I loved it and none of my customers had a problem. In fact, most sent me a message telling me to enjoy my vacation.

You've got to love it. laughing

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Even if you hide your listings, buyers who have watch-listed your items can still see them.  I got a Best Price Offer while my store was closed and my items were hidden.  Could the buyer have used Buy It Now?  I don't know.  But now it worries me to use vacation settings.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@zzydny wrote:

Even if you hide your listings, buyers who have watch-listed your items can still see them.  I got a Best Price Offer while my store was closed and my items were hidden.  Could the buyer have used Buy It Now?  I don't know.  But now it worries me to use vacation settings.

As long as you change your duration for shipping out beyond your vacation time,  you shouldn't have any problems. I've been doing it for a couple of years without any issues except less contact with the customers....lol.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@zzydny wrote:

Even if you hide your listings, buyers who have watch-listed your items can still see them .....

There used to be a loophole through which members could still purchase your hidden item if they managed to access your listing, such as through their Watch list or a bookmark.  But that loophole has been closed and if they attempt to purchase they will be notified that you aren't accepting transactions right now.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

It sounds like the  problem was not extending  your shipping time

Message 20 of 20
latest reply