cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay no longer fun.

I’ve been a Ebay seller for a long time now, back in the late 80’s I knew computers can bring seller and buyer together, far better then the newspapers.

When I first heard of Ebay in 1998. I knew this is it. Hell I bought the IPO at $26 (sold to soon)

Selling was alot of fun, auction something at $9, sales for $89, only paid 50 cents.

Customer were nice, no problems for years.

Now customers are not friendly, they do not read full description, ask if you take $5 for a $50 item.

Say item doesn’t work, (it was tested) then I resale it (50% less), and they buyer said it worked fine.

Get a feedback due to post office was slow.

I had over 12 bad customers, Can’t do anything about it.

It only take one to make it fill bad.

Now Ebay is changing again forcing you to use Seller Hub. I don’t like it. The changes doesn’t help me, it take longer to list.

I’ve maybe be quitting soon due to Chemo. I would like to sale somethings, before I go. so me wife doesn’t just gave it all away. And the person who needs it get it.

Below is a statement someone post that I agree with.

“customer service stinks

correction: what customer service?

all the hoopla about seller protection is gump

it's all about buyers even if they're wrong

even if they're lying

even if they have a history of scamming

they set this place up up big sellers and chinese sellers vs little US sellers, who gets the search space wins

little sellers don't get enough search space

lots of good sellers are gone now

they're gonna make us send our items to moscow even if we don't want

they're very good with newspeak - george orwell couldn't have written this any better than we wrote it for ourselves.  

sellers and buyers made ebay and corporate ebay stole it away.”

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Ebay no longer fun.

It was fun at one time, wasn't it?  I've only been selling 5 or 6 years, but my sales are now few and far between.  I don't enjoy it like I used to.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Ebay no longer fun.

I have never looked at it as fun, never had a job yet that was fun.. had some fun hobbies though in the past

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Ebay no longer fun.

@daneiac wrote:

I have never looked at it as fun, never had a job yet that was fun.. had some fun hobbies though in the past

I ALWAYS felt listing/selling and buying on eBay was fun.

Until I started reading the horror stories posted here from wonderful sellers who have lost thousands of dollars and their merchandise, and eBay doesn't have their backs.  

It has actually become very scary.

I have a ton of gold, silver and coins I am afraid to list (any more) on eBay.  😞

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Ebay no longer fun.

Ebay was a blast - now it's work - but I choose to be here. Times change - the Ebay of the past was unique and online selling was an upstart - now everyone is doing it - so changes are made, buyers are more protected, and policies tht other online venues are adopted to make us competitive.

I still get joy out of making a sale but it isn't the same and never will be - just as it's harder to get up off the floor, climb stairs and not be able to participate like I use to in sports - we accept today and have fond memories of the past as that's just the way it is.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Ebay no longer fun.

yeah, I would just as soon farm out the listing, research, packaging, part and pretty sure I could attain joy when I got word of a sale, but until then..

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Ebay no longer fun.

I still find it fun, even though it's my job. I have to say I do enjoy my job.

That being said, I do understand the frustrations, too. Ebay has tried so hard to make the experience a pleasant one for buyers, that they have put the sellers (the fee-payers) in the back seat. We DO have protections, but we have to know what they are and how to use them. It doesn't always save us, though, as many times the only thing you can do is report after the fact.

Rest assured, that eBay is cracking down on habitual scammers. That is why it is essential to report scam buyers, including partial refund scammers (PRS). Even if you have to refund the stinker, your power is in that report button. 

Sellers are constantly given the newest updates, and we have a specified amount of time to comply. Those metrics are becoming more stringent, yet buyers are still filing false SNADs (more than ever). That is where eBay needs to put its focus for a while. They need to make the returns process more stringent, too, to weed out the bad buyers. As it is right now, all they have to do is say it wasn't as described, and they win. We have little consolance that we "might" be able to charge them a restocking fee or return shipment if they've misused the MBG or returns system. It's a horrible system. If sellers have to jump through hoops to mkae it right for the buyer, then buyers should have to jump through hoops to prove that their transaction is significantly "wrong". 

Come on eBay, we're paying good money to you in the form of fees, can you please stop fixing things that aren't broke, and FIX THE RETURNS SYSTEM? PLEASE! It will help to weed out bad buyers AND bad sellers, so why are you NOT doing this eBay?

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Ebay no longer fun.

I have sold some gold and coins, in most part it should be safe. if they can't say it's borken or something. and if you have less then an oz. of gold. ( I wish I only bought 1/2 oz gold)
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Ebay no longer fun.

Thank you, Pumbingspecials, good reply
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Ebay no longer fun.

You mention you are starting chemo and I can only imagine this means you have a form of cancer.  I will keep you in my prayers.  eBay is a tiny blip on the screen when you are dealing with something so much bigger.  Reserve your strength at this time and forget about eBay in the interim.  Sincerely, Deana

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Ebay no longer fun.

Very well written and I agree 100%. Good Luck to you.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Ebay no longer fun.

Although I do share many of your frustrations - I try to take a different outlook - not that I can always do that - but the glitches have taught me to be more patient, the policies changes have helped me to be more observant, the returns have helped me step into another person's shoes. 

Ebay was  much more fun in the old days - but as things evolved I learned I had to take more responsibilty and be on my toes. I learned to conform to these changes - but in a way that was advantageous for me.

I had taken the anti-Ebay stance for so long that it's really nice now not to hate the entity I choose to sell on but make that lemonade out of lemons. It's much harder to fight a situation than deal with it and turn it to your advantage.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Ebay no longer fun.

rhine - you're in our prayers - but don't take a defeatist attitude - there is always hope and being positive is sometimes the best medicine. Here's wishing you postive vibes and the best in life. If you ever need to reach out - we're here!

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Ebay no longer fun.

Game night with the kids, watching a good horror flick, going to see the Blazers play, getting together for a game of flag football, backing cookies with my daughter...all fun.

Selling on eBay...never been 'fun'. Enjoyable, but not fun. Still enjoyable to me, too.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Ebay no longer fun.

Thank you for your thought and prayers. I just thought that Ebay was one thing I can do. but small things can be stressfully.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply