cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's a new one for me!

I sell an item.  I send an invoice.  I check 24 hours after the auction has closed and haven't received payment.  But when I check, I see two things I've never seen before.  I see an error message saying "payment for this item has failed."  And I also see that the "buyer" sent me a note (though no note showed up in my mail inbox) saying "I hope for a quick delivery to "city and state they live in."

I went back to my "selling page" and checked out the "buyer."  Sure enough, they have ZERO transactions on eBay and thus, ZERO data and a "0.0" percentage rating.

I emailed the "buyer" and mentioned that I'd like to ship the item out to them ASAP but I cannot do so until I receive payment via paypal.  We'll see if I hear back from them.

Has anyone ever had the same error message I received, or mention of a "note from the buyer" that didn't also appear in their eBay mail inbox? 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Here's a new one for me!

Yes, to both...........

The message from the buyer left on the payment won't show up in messages.......it does show up on the Myebay sold page....or a least a notification does......  It also shows up on the shipping page when you go to print the label and on the paypal acknowledgement payment page.  It's not an "email".......it's entered on the payment.......

Payment failed can mean the cc or the debit card bounced either for no funds, or some error......paypal will usually try to put it thru again.  There should be more info about it in paypal.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Concur with above. Need to check with PayPal. Either payment failed (CC declined) or they pulled it (fraud) from my experience.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@cciaplm wrote:

I sell an item.  I send an invoice.  I check 24 hours after the auction has closed and haven't received payment.  But when I check, I see two things I've never seen before.  I see an error message saying "payment for this item has failed."  And I also see that the "buyer" sent me a note (though no note showed up in my mail inbox) saying "I hope for a quick delivery to "city and state they live in."

I went back to my "selling page" and checked out the "buyer."  Sure enough, they have ZERO transactions on eBay and thus, ZERO data and a "0.0" percentage rating.

I emailed the "buyer" and mentioned that I'd like to ship the item out to them ASAP but I cannot do so until I receive payment via paypal.  We'll see if I hear back from them.

Has anyone ever had the same error message I received, or mention of a "note from the buyer" that didn't also appear in their eBay mail inbox? 

Call Paypal. Sounds like the buyer's card was declined when making payment. Same thing has happened to me before....with a buyer with feedback over 1000. Zero feedback means nothing - it could be a true newbie or a seasoned veteran who has opened another account.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The plot thickens . . . after not hearing back from the "buyer" after emailing them, I decided to send them an invoice.  Lo and behold, the address that showed up on the invoice was not a US state - but Lima Peru!  Fine then, even though it clearly states in my ad that I don't ship outside the US and Canada, I calculated the shipping for Lima - 65 bucks(over half what the item cost.)  I sent that invoice.  Still no replies to my emails and still no payment.  And no record of any attempted transaction in Paypal.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Sounds like a plot I wold not want to have a part in. Bad Movie.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@cciaplm wrote:

The plot thickens . . . after not hearing back from the "buyer" after emailing them, I decided to send them an invoice.  Lo and behold, the address that showed up on the invoice was not a US state - but Lima Peru!  Fine then, even though it clearly states in my ad that I don't ship outside the US and Canada, I calculated the shipping for Lima - 65 bucks(over half what the item cost.)  I sent that invoice.  Still no replies to my emails and still no payment.  And no record of any attempted transaction in Paypal.

You should hope they don't pay. If the item doesn't arrive you will lose your item and $65 shipping. Cancel for I don't ship to that address. 

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

In your first post you said that the address in the email was to a street, city and state. They may be using a freight forwarder - who then will ship it to the buyer - this is not uncommon and generally good for sellers as if there is a problem - as long as the package was received by the recipient at the address provided by Paypal - you are in the clear if it doesn't make it to the international destination. The buyer has to go back to the reshipper and complain to them.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

While I have never seen that error before - I would just file the UPI and either the buyer pays or let it time out and close.  

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@cciaplm wrote:

This is the reason I do not send invoices.

You are seeing the buyers registered address, the only address that matters is the one associated with their payment.

Buyers can add edit or select address for shipping when making payment via ebay/PP

The US address they added to their ebay profile for "primary ship to address" that is why they could bid.

If you have correct blocks in place they would not be able to pay using that outside of US address as the "ship to"

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@cciaplm wrote:

So the item was not marked as paid, but you were informed that the buyer had attempted payment and it failed? That seems logical.

I get notes from buyers all the time.  I don't recall them ever being sent to my eBay inbox - they have always been tied to the transaction detail page.  

Those notes are entered by the buyer at the time payment is submitted, so at the time the buyer typed that message he may have had no idea that payment would not succeed. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I waited the requisite three days and just filed an unpaid item dispute.  I even took the time to email the "buyer" again letting them know I was going to file an unpaid item dispute.  Oh well, at least I can get my fee back and relist the item.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@cciaplm wrote:

I waited the requisite three days and just filed an unpaid item dispute.  I even took the time to email the "buyer" again letting them know I was going to file an unpaid item dispute.  Oh well, at least I can get my fee back and relist the item.

You can open UID 48 hours and a nanosecond after the listing ends.

You can then close it 96 hours and a nanosecond after you opened it.

Stop sending invoices. If someone doesn't pay, I might (or might not) send a message like "if I receive payment today, your item will ship first thing in the morning" ... but that's about it.

By sending an invoice it locks in the shipping to the buyer's registered address. As others have pointed out, that may not be the Shipping address.

Example that is the opposite of yours  ... a buyer within  50 miles of me wins an auction. I send the invoice with the calculated shipping charge locked in for Zone 1 or 2 ... When they pay the invoice, they can then change the address to Zone 8.

I would then have to eat the Shipping for the extra distance.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Why does eBay offer sellers the option to send an invoice if sending an invoice can only work against a seller?  Oh yeah - I remember - eBay is anti-seller.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply