cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help STOP Mandatory Good Till Canceled On Fixed Price Listings!!!!!!!

As I'm sure everyone here is aware, eBay recently implemented a new policy where the only duration option for fixed price listings is good till canceled. While I can see that this option is very useful to many sellers, it is not for everyone and makes eBay a more difficult place to sell things for lower volume and hobby sellers. I have been very frustrated with eBay lately because it seems like every update they have made recently has been detrimental to sellers, strips them of more freedoms, and I am really getting tired of it. I reached out to eBay customer support today and informed them of my displeasure with this newest change and was told that they are aware that a lot of people are not happy about it. They are collecting and reviewing all complaints about the matter and may scrap the program if enough people complain. That means if you are unhappy about this new policy, I strongly urge you to call eBay customer support at (866)487-3229 and let them know how unhappy you are about it! If you remain silent, then nothing will change. Speak out and make your voice heard, the squeaky wheel gets the grease! I also told them that I plan to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if something is not done about this policy. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I have heard of cases where escalating a problem to them has helped resolve problems. Again, I am not saying that good till canceled should go away entirely, just give us back our choices!! If you didn't see it above, here's that phone number again: (866)487-3229 Please call!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

As far as hoping eBay will walk back this change, this question came  up at Chat today.  One of the Blues stated in today's Chat that eBay has no plans to rescind this change.

You can read the Chat for today if you care to confirm this; there are other GTC related questions there as well.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Community-Chat-March-27-1-00-pm-PT-General-Topics/m-p/29652254...

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

First of all, not everyone is against this change.

Secondly, fuss and outrage over site changes is nothing new - and I haven’t seen EBay roll back a decision yet in 20 years.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

No offense, but yes, they did roll back the decision on when to be able to mark down listings for sale.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I also hate this change. I've complained about it already. We pay a monthly fee to have our store so we can sell our items at our own pace, put our prices to the items & put them on sale when we want. Ebay is a vehicle for this but the items are ours. They are constantly changing things and lately not for the better.  I complained more than once about them going into my store and changing my items from just buying them on a fixed scale to adding "make an offer" to them. I didn't want that & didn't authorize that. I complained and was told that they had received many, many complaints about it. Later I was told that there were so many complaints that they decided not to allow the system to do it.

So, putting an item on for 7 days or 30 days or til' cancelled should also be up to us. No warning listing that something is going to end so we have the chance to decide whether we want to continue with the item or not. Just re-list & charge us. Then if we didn't want it renewed, we can cancel it but we've already been charged the renewal fee and I'm sure they're not going to give it back to us. These are OUR items. WE pay Ebay to have these stores every month and then pay them AGAIN when it's sold. Isn't that enough? I've been with Ebay for 20 years and I'm getting so disgusted in the last couple years that I'm considering cutting ties altogether. I have over 500 items on every day. They make money off of me. Ebay.....LEAVE MY ITEMS ALONE!!!!

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

FWIW - I have added the following to my BIN listings: "Please note - Because of ebay's new policy requiring all fixed price listings to be "Good til' Cancelled", this listing will be ended prior to the remaining duration shown." Whether this gets to Buyers motivated to go ahead and buy or stirred up about the issue enough to complain to ebay, we'll have to see. However, I'm sure that ebay really doesn't care if every Seller on the Site with a volume of less than $100K/year gets mad and leaves. That's not the market they're after any more.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

First of all, not everyone is against this change.

With millions and millions of users, I doubt you could get *everyone* to agree on anything. 

But I would estimate that the sentiment on this board runs about 50 to 1 against the GTC change. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yes, we all need to call. I did the 2nd day......
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I missed that one - what was involved and was it particularly important? Point being, did EBay have much skin in the game?

So, okay, one out of how many?

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

While I haven't added wording similar to yours to my listings, I'm planning on ending my listings before they automatically renew too.  It's a pain to have to monitor this, but I don't intend on paying ebay listing fees.  I intend to have my listings come down before they automatically renew, and relist them when I have free listings  --  and if you have "extra" free listings, why not end current listings that are soon to automatically renew and then relist using the "extra" free listings.

I'm not sure if complaining to ebay will help, or if they'll wait to see how things develop (impact on their revenue, other metrics).  But, I think it's possible that they may change this policy -- eventually.  Sellers who have been around for several years may remember changes that were eventually undone or subsequently revised (e.g. 20 free listings per months in a certain group of categories PLUS an add'l 20 free listings became 50 listings per month; extra free listings only for *new* products/listings, but not relists, has also gone by the wayside). 

Maybe if ebay sees that the number of fixed priced listings that are being taken down before renewal is growing/spiking, the company will back off this blanket policy.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep your eyes open for tools to auto-cancel listings in the last 30 minutes or so.  Surely someone will write a tool to do this.  Listings can be cancelled using the eBay APIs.  

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I'm not so sure that calling and complaining will help, in fact, I know it won't;...in the past few days I have called TWICE, one call lasting 35 minutes, and the other call lasting 30 minutes, and the three different representatives I talked to, absolutely did NOT care what I had to say, although, ONE representative said she was taking notes, and that I should say exactly what I wanted my complaint/feedback, to say. So, I did just that, trying to give her intelligent, carefully worded comments, for the feedback she claimed she was typing up, and was going to pass along to the "higher-ups". But, still, I couldn't help but wonder if what was ACTUALLY going to happen, was that she and the other representatives would just sit around and compare notes with each other, and laugh about how upset all these poor suckers were getting, with eBay's new policies. Anyway, I also told her that, since I could no longer do the 3-day listings I had always done, and so far have only been able to use 51 of the 250 so-called "free" listings that I pay $21.95 per month for, that I felt like I definitely NOT gotten my money's worth out of having an eBay Store this month, and in fact, I felt like I was being ripped off, by eBay. Well, as you can imagine, she did NOT seem to like that suggestion that anyone was being "ripped off", and when I posed the suggestion that perhaps I would be closing my eBay Store soon, she more-or-less "invited" me to close my store, BUT, warned me that, by doing so, I would incur an Early Termination Penalty....sheesh! You don't get what you pay for in the first place, AND they'll charge you with a stiff penalty, if you even TRY to stop your store?!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Perhaps.

But off the board you have the sellers who are too busy making money to give a hoot. They either already use GTC or are adjusting to it.

Discontent here isn’t representative of the site as a whole.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

This is just one in the series of changes going against the sellers and every new one brings me closer to final decision... I believe this will be a nail in the coffin. Luckily there are other places to sell my stuff.

I don't understand some of the "users" claiming they are welcoming this change. Why? GTC was there since ever and nothing changed for you. You are free to use it same way as before. It seems many of those don't understand that nothing is "modified" or "improved" here, it's just that something is canceled. One option that existed before is not there any more.

And eBay even has the face saying this is for seller's well being! Wow!

But, is this even possible (legally I mean)? Can they force me to buy service without my will? There is no GTC as period/service with the listed price. 30 days listing is. I want to buy service, know what it cost and pay for it. Option to go for GTC is fine, but forcing me to use it is not.

If they don't revert this I will stay until my store subscription runs out and that's it.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for your well said compliant, I have been feeling this way for the last month so I made the call to ebay to let them know. I know they want to help so I hope the calls just keep going to them till they change it back.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply