cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Buyer send back a different item

Help. This is my first time selling on ebay. The buyer ask for a return after a week. I accepted the return, buyer then send back a different item. I have a video of myself opening the box showing it was a different item. What can I do? I haven't refund the buyer yet. I called ebay coustumer service and they do nothing. Will ebay force me to refund the buyer?

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@usdav_k97av wrote:

I am so dam confused. I just called eBay again, now they said this issue is resolve. I don't have to take any action and they refunded the buyer from ebay's own pocket. I don't have to ship back the item. All I have to do is wait for the system to update and everything is resolve.

And that’s how it should be resolved. The reason I suggested calling back and not mentioning the previous call & what you were told to do, was to see what the 2nd rep said. I had a feeling they would tell you something entirely different—which is what happened when you just called. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**

View Best Answer in original post

Message 44 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Yes once the buyer sees the tracking showing item has arrived they'll escalate their dispute to a claim and your money and item will be gone....

Message 2 of 55
latest reply

@bubbleman2010wrote:

Yes once the buyer sees the tracking showing item has arrived they'll escalate their dispute to a claim and your money and item will be gone....

And a shiny new defect will be yours.

May as well refund yourself and save the aggravation. What did you think would happen when you list something like that 250.00 item as your first sale?

And then you report the buyer to ebay, and you file mail fraud complaints.

Then when you have some report numbers, you can call ebay and try to get it reversed in your favor.

I'm confused, you had a post last week that your first sale was a factory refurbish sealed graphic card and it was returned with the seal opened. Now it's a different item?

EBay does not accept pics or video of anyone opening a box because this is easily faked. EBay accepts tracking data only. It doesn't matter if you refuse to refund the money as EBay will do it for you and deduct it from you.

Message 5 of 55
latest reply

That post is when the buyer tries to find a reason to return the item. Someone from the comment suggest me to accapt the return. And it ends up like this.

Message 6 of 55
latest reply

I don't care about the defect because I won't be selling or buying from ebay anymore after this happens to me.

Message 7 of 55
latest reply

@usdav_k97avwrote:

Help. This is my first time selling on ebay. The buyer ask for a return after a week. I accepted the return, buyer then send back a different item. I have a video of myself opening the box showing it was a different item.

Place the video within a container under lock & key, to establish that it is untampered & in your custody. Report buyer to all appropriate law enforcement agencies, specify the evidence within your possession, which will be made available upon request.

Comply with ebay determinations & policies to avoid receiving a defect.

Report buyer to ebay & advise what actions you may choose to undertake in this matter.

Message 8 of 55
latest reply

@usdav_k97avwrote:

Help. This is my first time selling on ebay. The buyer ask for a return after a week. I accepted the return, buyer then send back a different item. I have a video of myself opening the box showing it was a different item. What can I do? I haven't refund the buyer yet. I called ebay coustumer service and they do nothing. Will ebay force me to refund the buyer?

Having a video doesn't make any difference.

About all you can do is send the refund, then report the buyer and file mail fraud through USPS.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 55
latest reply

I'm sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately this seems to happen a lot to new sellers, and EBay seems to not be very helpful to the seller.

Do what Ed suggested, do your refund then report this buyer.

Message 10 of 55
latest reply

Really sorry to hear that.  but everyone is right.  just do the return refund and block.  Best regards

Message 11 of 55
latest reply

@usdav_k97av

@usdav_k97av wrote:

I don't care about the defect because I won't be selling or buying from ebay anymore after this happens to me.

Don't throw in the towel yet, this is business not personal.  As others mentioned, new Sellers are targets for scammers for higher priced items.  If they think they can steal from someone they will and do.  Really sorry it happened and you had to learn this hard lesson at the beginning of your eBay experience ... we've been scammed too but have far and away more succesful and profitable sales then losses. 

I suggest you keep selling until you at least recover the $ 250 you lost ... then review and decide which way you want to go from there.  While the system is not perfect, it can be used to recover your loss which is the point I am trying to make.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 12 of 55
latest reply

Read the User Agreement to see what you can and can not do:  

You have the right to refuse to refund the buyer since they returned a different item.  But, if Ebay sides with them under the Money Back Guarantee (which they probably will) they will expect you to cover the cost.  If you do not, it will affect your ability to sell on Ebay.  But, it sounds like you aren't planning on selling on Ebay again anyway.

From the User Agreement:

_____

If you (as seller), choose to reimburse a buyer, or are required to reimburse a buyer or eBay under the eBay Money Back Guarantee, you authorize eBay to request that PayPal remove the reimbursement amount (in same or other currency) from your PayPal account, place the amount on your invoice, and/or charge your payment method on file. If we cannot get reimbursement from you, we may collect the outstanding sums using other collection mechanisms, including retaining collection agencies.

______

You should also read the section on Legal Disputes.... specifically the Agreement to Arbitrate portion.

Here's the entire User Agreement that you agreed to when you started using Ebay.  There's a link to it at the bottom of every Ebay page.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/user-agreement?id=4259

Message 13 of 55
latest reply

This system is encouraging scamers to commit a federal crime, I will file local police report and calling local attorney genral.

Message 14 of 55
latest reply

Message 15 of 55
latest reply