cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has eBay lost some more of the market share?

As I watch the numbers drop day after day. Maybe eBay will run another $5 off promotion if you spend $50. That was a real winner. Let's explore that promotion for a minute. A $5 bill is equivalent to what a $1 bill was not too long ago. Everything on eBay is much more expensive. So if you buy an overpriced item on eBay for over $50, eBay is going to give you a whole $5 off. And some places the sales tax is close to 10%.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

eBay's promotions should aim to incentivize buyers and support sellers, not just offer a token discount on overpriced items. I hope they reconsider their approach and offer more meaningful promotions in the future.

As a seller, you can offer your own discounts or promotions to attract buyers and stay competitive on the platform. Just a thought!

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

As I watch the numbers drop day after day. 

What numbers are you watching drop off,. and what is the "market" are you questioning their share of? 

A $5 bill is equivalent to what a $1 bill was not too long ago. 

Based on US CPI data, you have to go back to 1977 to have $1 = $5 today. IMHO 45 years is a long time ago. 

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

And some places the sales tax is close to 10%.

Sales tax applies to all online marketplaces and local stores, so it really should not have much effect on eBay's market share. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@the-hook-and-the-loop wrote:

And some places the sales tax is close to 10%.

And buyers from Canada like me are going to be paying US$11-17 in shipping for your items.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

any discount is better than none, in my opinion

Message 5 of 5
latest reply