cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone noticed an increase/decline in their sales during covid or has things been "normal"?

I am just curious how sellers are doing during the pandemic. I know since the pandemic started and scalpers were taking advantage of the situation selling toilet paper and sanitation wipes that household essentials sales have seen an increase, but I think with stores restocking that those sales are seeing a drop, just an observation is all. Anyway, my question is for those who sell other products besides thing you can find in the bathroom aisle.

I sell video gams/hobby stuff, though I don't do that much because I am not sure if people are online shopping around this time. Any thoughts? 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Has anyone noticed an increase/decline in their sales during covid or has things been "norm

My sales are up.  

I sell fabric and people are starting new hobbies or finding old ones.

Sales on the internet are up and it is not toilet paper and wipes,   those have long passed by the wayside.

If you have it list it.   IT is the only way you get sales.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Re: Has anyone noticed an increase/decline in their sales during covid or has things been "norm

According to many reliable sources, online shopping increased during the quarantine for fairly obvious reasons.

Video games/hobby stuff seem like good categories to take advantage of this trend.

If you don't list because you aren't sure if people are online shopping, how will you find out? 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Our sales have been up considerably but will start to go down since we cannot list anything new without giving into managed payments and eBay's 3rd party out of the USA company that has this in their terms and condition's:Capture.JPG

Might as well give them the keys to your house, car, and safe deposit box, they will already have legal control over your bank account. So sad outsourcing to a none US Company

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

My gross sales for 2020 were down about 10% from 2019. 

For 2020:

the first 2 months were typical;

the next 3 were strong;

the next 5 months were soft;

the last 2 months were typical. 

But I sell music memorabilia, not commodities or necessities. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I sell regular American coins such as Pennies, Nickels, and the like.  I just found out that my fees went up .30 cents on every sale now whether its a .99 cent sale or 99.00 dollar sale. Its their NEW Payment Management system. This is very sad cuz this will drown me out of business.  This means Every item you post and sell you Will pay   $0.30 cents more now

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

**bleep**, ok. I wasn't too sure. I get that people are staying in-doors and buying, but with what I've heard and people losing their jobs, you'd think people would be spending less. Thank you!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

At the beginning of the pandemic, my sales went up.

They stayed pretty steady, although I'm not listing new things as I have in the past.

Sales lately have really slowed down.

Weird, I'm getting few views on heavily promoted items.

Im selling really inexpensive things. Buyers seem to love small things.

The increase in postage & eBay's fees on top have made cheap things not so cheap.

My thinking is, if money is tight, a pair of earrings or a book might be a small treat.

If money is nonexistent, no one is going to buy anything.

We have entered a new world, a new era.

With the vaccine available,people  can get out more.

Browsing on the internet may have become less novel.

We will see.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

My views are way down the last couple days.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Me, too. 

My selling ID has quite a collection of hand-embroidery related items:  kits, charts, books, fabric, etc., etc.  Some of those have been listed off and on over the last four or five years, with few watchers and no sales.  And they sold after "lockdowns" became widespread.  

I do have a four-yard-long piece of 44"-wide white cotton flannelette with a cute red rose print that nobody seems to want.  I don't understand that.  I have reduced the price to less than $3.00 a yard.   Crickets.   Guess I'll finally have to make a long nightgown for myself !!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Last few days and essentially the past week have been dismal. I could list gold bars for a dollar and probably not make a sale. Ebay is far to cyclical to rely on for any reasonable amount of money. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I just found out that my fees went up .30 cents on every sale

You've always paid that........even with paypal.....

Our sales were plenty up in 2020.....in collectibles......Wants, not needs......  $ figures are still strong, tho number of sales "seem" down/slow to me.......off the cuff, I haven't counted. 

I agree with others tho...........there is absolutely no point in not listing.......if you are here to sell, you harm your business by not doing it......  There is NEVER going to be a bright sign that says people are buying, list your stuff now.    Plus.......if sales are good for me, doesn't mean sales will be good for you........and vice versa.  There are millions of shoppers on ebay every day/hour.....presumably most are here to buy.......

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

3rd quarter 2020 was better for us than 4th quarter total sales.  Not certain if because people bought Christmas early or if they scaled back for the holidays.  Jan stayed steady, Feb was up and March was best we had all year.  April is way down.  1st 6 days were dismal.  Has started coming back, but as others have said, Wants vs Needs.....most probably do not think another stimulus check would happen again in 2021.

We have quarterlys due soon, then May 15th Uncle Sam and Spring installment Property Tax is due by the end of this month.  If folks are like us, not a lot of extra this time of year.

Listed a bunch today and revised several also.  Time to get the beach gear listed!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 13 of 13
latest reply