cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever reported a buyer for a return case...

Has anyone ever reported a buyer on a return case? Like for claiming false things about the listing and thats why they are returning it or didn't match description but you knew the buyer was lying. Or have you ever reported a buyer for returning the items with missing pieces and damage? My real question is after you report the buyer for these reasons and ebay gives you the standard "we can't tell you what we will do or what will happen to buyer, but the buyer will be dealt with...blah blah blah..."

What does happen? Ebay makes it sound like they send a form email to the buyer or something. Has anyone ever been the buyer and been reported on by seller? If so, what does ebay really do once you are reported. Just curious. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Has anyone ever reported a buyer for a return case...

@mam98031 wrote:

Then it is a good thing the buyer automatically gets reported if the seller issues a partial refund on a returned item or if the request is given to Ebay for determination and they rule in the seller's favor.  Both instances the buyer gets automatically reported.

I think more sellers report them than you think.  Especially if you are TRS with a 30 day return policy because you want the $6 credit and the protection offered in the seller protections.

They do (get automatically reported) when you do a less than full refund? If so, that's good... but I can't help to generally wonder about the ones with no returns opened.

I agree that the protection and $6 credit is incentive to report buyers. But I wonder if your average joe seller even knows about these policies. Many smaller sellers than me don't really keep up to date with policies (probably why so many people still have issue with no buyer negs or GTC only). And it's not like ebay advertises this at all anywhere within the returns processing pages. It's like they don't want you to know that it's there and available.

Follow up question: What's the recommended way to request the $6 credit anyway? I was told you have to do it in the comments section of the less than full refund page. Is that still the current recommended method?

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

@dtech.consulting wrote:

Q: "I just want to know what happens when a buyer or seller for that matter gets reported ? and not reported to have listing taken down. A report done for a return.
Does ebay just email the buyer / seller? How does ebay handle it since they don't tell you what they do when you actually report the person."

A: Nothing happens.  Seriously, nothing.  You will be asked to accept the return after a little posturing on customer supports side.  Just enough to make you feel as though you've been listened to.

Ebay will not share what they do to any member it is a matter of account privacy.  You do not know that nothing happens, you are assuming nothing happens because you aren't kept in the loop.  I get that.  Sometimes it can be hard to be kept in the dark.  But I firmly believe account privacy is important.  And it goes both ways for buyers and sellers.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 37
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@coolections wrote:

@dinpavent0 wrote:

Has anyone ever reported a buyer on a return case?

My guess is 90% of buyers get reported if they decide to make a return claim and that is regardless of who is right or wrong.

My guess is that unfortunately 90% of sellers don’t even want to be bothered by clicking the report buyer link. Maybe because they think it won’t amount to anything. They’d just rather vent about it or call CS (which always seems reluctant to report buyer for you but rather tell you to click the link online to report).

Don't forget these are the sellers who likely don't file UIDs either.  I wish they would realize by filing instead of wanting to leave the deadbeat buyer a false positive, they would be doing a huge favor to every other seller who has their buyer requirements set to block them.

But hey.  What do I know?

Joe

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

@tellmemama wrote:

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@coolections wrote:

@dinpavent0 wrote:

Has anyone ever reported a buyer on a return case?

My guess is 90% of buyers get reported if they decide to make a return claim and that is regardless of who is right or wrong.

My guess is that unfortunately 90% of sellers don’t even want to be bothered by clicking the report buyer link. Maybe because they think it won’t amount to anything. They’d just rather vent about it or call CS (which always seems reluctant to report buyer for you but rather tell you to click the link online to report).

Don't forget these are the sellers who likely don't file UIDs either.  I wish they would realize by filing instead of wanting to leave the deadbeat buyer a false positive, they would be doing a huge favor to every other seller who has their buyer requirements set to block them.

But hey.  What do I know?

Pretty silly in my book to not file the UIDs.  Speaking for myself I don't just want this logged onto the buyer's account but I want my FVFs back too.  Sellers that don't file them also allow Ebay to keep the fees unless they call Ebay and ask them to credit their account.  It would take far less time and is much easier to just file a UID when appropriate.

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

I didn't know you could do that. Report a buyer never occurred to me.

I take care of issues which may affect my account outside of EBAY.

Do what feels good. All you need to do... is make it so ... YOU aren't worth it to screw over.

Doesn't take much for them to cancel the return case. Some apologize.

Now this only works when YOU are honest and in the right. Otherwise, it will likely backfire if you are scamming them.

Life is too short to stress over weirdo thieves. Contact them via facebook, at work, where-ever and ask "What's the deal?" then say whatever you feel like saying. Unload and enjoy yourself. Let them offer a way to appease you, but don't be too eager to take it. Slowly come around.

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

@froggyjump
Thanks for the advice... I got my stuff back, some missing, some completely damaged and still had to refund the buyer which I did yesterday. Today he had the nerve to message me on ebay and say he didn't get refund its not in his account or paypal. He messaged twice and said he checked again. I wasn't going to answer at all... I just wanted to say "and?" lol but I just said call ebay. It is what it is. I don't know why people do what they do and I am not going to worry about it anymore. Just blocked him. Done with it at this point.
Message 21 of 37
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc
I didn't know about any $6 credit. I did report the buyer tho. Whether it does something or not, if he does it to someone else maybe the next person will report too and something will be done. Who knows, but I blocked him and refunded. Done with it.
Message 22 of 37
latest reply

I've actually reported a buyer in the past, buyer claimed item was NAD, after they had sent me a message saying 'it didn't fit' or something of the like.  I did go through with the refund, but reported them for abusing the return system.  I got the same auto message from eBay.  

However... the buyer contacted me, and told me they weren't happy that I reported them, as they got a violation on their account!  So yes, actually, it's worth it to report buyers that misuse or violate the system.  eBay obviously gives naughty buyers at least a slap, and notes in on their account, so that's something more than nothing IMO.

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

@dinpavent0 wrote:
@bigdeals.etc
I didn't know about any $6 credit. I did report the buyer tho. Whether it does something or not, if he does it to someone else maybe the next person will report too and something will be done. Who knows, but I blocked him and refunded. Done with it.

It was announced in Seller Update... I think it was Fall 2019 in regards to “abusive buyers”. If you are a victim from an abusive buyer in regards to a return, you can request that eBay investigate and remove the defect on your seller metrics (if any) and credit you for any return shipping postage that you were originally charged by eBay (up to $6). I don’t know how ebay accepts or denies these requests, nor do we get any notice of the decision.

See? That was my point in a latter message that this policy is hardly any motivation for a seller to report a seller simply because not many members are aware of this update policy... eBay does a pretty good job of hiding this info. You didn’t even know it existed. It’s not mentioned anywhere within the returns processing pages.

Thanks for reporting the buyer and trying to make ebay better for all of us.

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

@swenson8781 wrote:

However... the buyer contacted me, and told me they weren't happy that I reported them, as they got a violation on their account!  So yes, actually, it's worth it to report buyers that misuse or violate the system.  eBay obviously gives naughty buyers at least a slap, and notes in on their account, so that's something more than nothing IMO.

Hm, I hope the buyer jumped to this conclusion on their own regardless of its accuracy. Because if eBay straight out stated your eBay account was the cause of the “violation”, then as @mam98031  stated, that would be a violation on eBay’s part of our privacy policy.

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

Dear Buyer

Lucy you've got some splanin to do!!! LOL!!

In all seriousness, this will certainly need to be investigated. This is VERY serious.

Returned to me are damged AND  missing items!!  We BOTh must take steps to resolve this. Depending upon who the perp is, this could be a crime (the moment $ is stolen from my paypal it's a crime)  . Actions will be taken accordingly. I am not accusing you but stating a fact .It is in your best interest to work with me to resolve this issue.

Unless you can assist me with a logical explanation, we must get to the bottom of this to put it to rest. Moreso before it turns criminal via money being stolen from me against my will.  IN that instance, expect these actions-

1. I will contact your local post office.  Your mail carrier will surely be notified since that is procedure. It's good for us both to also get in contact with the local postal inspector. Items do not get damaged or come up missing by themselves.

2. An online mail fraud report will be filed the moment criminal activity takes place.

3. Also regarding the criminal activity, a report will be filed with your local police dept. Expect a visit at home or at work.

As you can imagine, my patience is wearing thin. Allot enough time at insert name of his work) to discuss this matter to it's resolution. I will be calling soon. 

Facebook is a good way to contact then via an anonymous account. I like someone to vent about life to so this ia  grand opportunity for me to unload on someone I don't respect.  Also remind them  an apology goes a long way however you may not be ready to accept it as of yet. Later down the line you may call back needing one, as they can clearly understand why.

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

@dinpavent0 wrote:
@bigdeals.etc

@dinpavent0 

That is part of the seller protections for TRS w/ 30 day or more return policies.  Sorry!

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

@mam98031
I know I know, it is what it is. I was TRS status before and offered 30 day returns, tried the free returns as well, just wasn't for me. I shouldn't really complain anyways, really this is first return where the person was a jerk. So I guess I just needed to vent and was curious what reporting does and if it is good to report the buyers / sellers that scam people. I have had bad experience with a bad seller as well and it was my very first purchase on eBay ever! on my own account.. At the time I had already been running my husbands store and for quite sometime and just opened my own account to sell. I didn't start a store until I built up some feedback and I had the inventory for it. So I made my first purchase and it was a scam but I got my money back quickly.
The second purchase I made was a US seller for an Iphone charger. He kept giving me the run around (he ended up being a drop shipper) and I didn't know about that at the time. He strung me along for 3 weeks and finally refunded me on his own. Saying things like sorry its my supplier, blah blah blah... well why does it say you have more than 10 of these for sale? I just had bad luck buying apparently lol.
I did have some good buys on here after that.
Just wanted to add that because it is not a case where I am just mad about a return. I take returns many times even when my listing says I don't. I am very easy to work with. Just recently I had a buyer not get their items, and it said delivered. I happened to have two more of the same items so I just shipped them. I know things happen. But this buyer / return I just dealt with was terrible.
I appreciate your advice and everyones input also. I know you are pretty knowledgeable since I read your replies quite often.
Sorry for long reply, and thanks again. I think I did the right thing, reported, refunded and blocked, now move on with new listings / sales...lol.
Message 28 of 37
latest reply

@dinpavent0 wrote:
@mam98031
I know I know, it is what it is. I was TRS status before and offered 30 day returns, tried the free returns as well, just wasn't for me. I shouldn't really complain anyways, really this is first return where the person was a jerk. So I guess I just needed to vent and was curious what reporting does and if it is good to report the buyers / sellers that scam people. I have had bad experience with a bad seller as well and it was my very first purchase on eBay ever! on my own account.. At the time I had already been running my husbands store and for quite sometime and just opened my own account to sell. I didn't start a store until I built up some feedback and I had the inventory for it. So I made my first purchase and it was a scam but I got my money back quickly.
The second purchase I made was a US seller for an Iphone charger. He kept giving me the run around (he ended up being a drop shipper) and I didn't know about that at the time. He strung me along for 3 weeks and finally refunded me on his own. Saying things like sorry its my supplier, blah blah blah... well why does it say you have more than 10 of these for sale? I just had bad luck buying apparently lol.
I did have some good buys on here after that.
Just wanted to add that because it is not a case where I am just mad about a return. I take returns many times even when my listing says I don't. I am very easy to work with. Just recently I had a buyer not get their items, and it said delivered. I happened to have two more of the same items so I just shipped them. I know things happen. But this buyer / return I just dealt with was terrible.
I appreciate your advice and everyones input also. I know you are pretty knowledgeable since I read your replies quite often.
Sorry for long reply, and thanks again. I think I did the right thing, reported, refunded and blocked, now move on with new listings / sales...lol.

You are very welcome, I'm glad I could help.  I am however sorry that I made you feel as if you had to justify yourself.  My comment about some sellers reporting buyers just because they filed for a return wasn't directed at you at all and I'm sorry you felt it was.  Most sellers are good honest people and we know we can make mistakes.  There are just some that can't see it from a buyer's point of view and /or can't take on the responsibility of an issue. 

For the record, I never thought that of your issue at all.  I just thought you were trying to make the best of a bad situation.  It is unfortunate how often sellers find themselves in such situations with this horrible return policies of Ebay.  Ebay calls it Simplified Returns, I call it No fault returns.  

I hope you don't have these issues in the future.

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

This really isn't reporting for a return, but reporting for abuse of money back guarantee, which is the correct thing to do.  Abusive buyers have had their MBG privileges suspended before.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 30 of 37
latest reply