cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has any else noticed this???

Why is it every one of my sales goes to San Diego , Loredo texas , Spokan Washington or like Miami, sk there’s no eBay buyers in say Indiana illlinois Virginia. Oh I get it more for shipping so more for fees. This is not  a one time event since I have been on eBay 98 percent of all my sales come from places where  it’s expensive to ship the furthest away. I gon selll somewhere else I get orders from every where I the is but for some reason eBay expects me to believe only people  on the west coast buy??? I know I don’t pay the shipping. It I pay the fees on it and I wonder how many times my listings are not shown in the mid wes or east coast just for eBay to make a  a couple pennies 

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Has any else noticed this???

98 percent of all my sales come from places where it’s expensive to ship the furthest away.

If you are using any kind of fixed shipping cost (which would include free shipping) and setting your total prices based on some "average" shipping cost you can expect, then pretty much by definition any buyer located closer to you than average is paying an inflated shipping cost, and any domestic buyer further away than average is getting a relative price break.

The further away your US customers are located, the better deal they are getting from you because of the way you have set your prices. Since you are apparently in Michigan, the customers getting the best deal are located on the coasts or the southern border, like "San Diego, Laredo Texas, Spokane Washington or Miami Florida".

View Best Answer in original post

Message 23 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Welcome to Ebays "rolling" visibility algorithm.... I see that all the time.

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

That's the places that have the money . Most of my orders go to California .

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

@diecastorbust wrote:

Why is it every one of my sales goes to San Diego , Loredo texas , Spokan Washington or like Miami, sk there’s no eBay buyers in say Indiana illlinois Virginia. Oh I get it more for shipping so more for fees. This is not  a one time event since I have been on eBay 98 percent of all my sales come from places where  it’s expensive to ship the furthest away. I gon selll somewhere else I get orders from every where I the is but for some reason eBay expects me to believe only people  on the west coast buy??? I know I don’t pay the shipping. It I pay the fees on it and I wonder how many times my listings are not shown in the mid wes or east coast just for eBay to make a  a couple pennies 

I think you answered your own question - and it would be the same opinion I would have provided:

Higher shipping cost = higher fees = more money for the site = mystery solved(per our experience and opinion)

Its the EXACT SAME THING we dealt with the entire time we had our New England account running. In fact, our items were going to the SAME PLACES except with a several CA locations - We never considered it a mystery actually - Just another reason from a never ending list that we no longer list here...

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

Join the rest of us sellers. Ebay decides where and to whom listings are shown.

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

I have shipped to every state. I am in Wis.  Alaska and Hawaii as well.

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

I am in California and I don't get many sales from my home state.  

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

We have some 4000 sku's running at work, everything from diapers to the kitchen sink.  But I have noticed that there are large population areas that seem to generate more sales than anywhere else.  I would assume a larger population would be the reason, or perhaps the average household income is higher, leading to slightly more 'free cash' for things on eBay.

I loved it back when I was selling shoes ... I'd make a sale to some small town anywhere in the US.  First sale to that town, sometimes even to that ZIPcode.  If I got positive feedback, it was almost guaranteed that I'd get a few more sales to that same town within the month.  I attributed that to the ladies sharing info on where the best buys were.  Some places call it "book clubs", others call it "back fence gossip".  I just call it great advertising and keep on truckin'!

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 8 of 41
latest reply

For some reason I can't respond to the OP, so I'll do it here. My last 9 buyers were in DC, MI, MT, OH, NY, MI, MA, CA. The only common thread I see is that most, but not all, of the money and buyers are on the coasts.

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

You left out some important information. Do you offer "Free Shipping", "Calculated" or "Flat Rate"? 

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

For some reason I can't respond to the OP, so I'll do it here. My last 9 buyers were in DC, MI, MT, OH, NY, MI, MA, CA. The only common thread I see is that most, but not all, of the money and buyers are on the coasts.

Makes sense since 40% of the US population lives in coastal counties. If you split the country down the middle about 80% of the US population lives in the eastern sector. 

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

I am on the east coast and use calculated shipping on most of my listings. About 70% of my sales are to the eastern half of the US where the shipping cost is the least so I really don't notice it nor does my shipping data support it. 

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

Population of California-39,557,045 

Population of San Diego-1,425,976 

Population of Texas-28,701,845 

Population of Spokane-219,190 

Population of Miami- 467,963 

Population of Florida-21,538,187 

Population of Indiana-6,691,878 

Population of Illinois-12,741,080 

If you added in the average income of those cities- you would find an even higher correlation between sales and  destination.

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

I use capped flat rate shipping so eBay makes no more money on me no matter where I ship, and I also see patterns, mostly where most of the population is. So, I have a lot of stuff go to California in the same zone or one zone over - cheapest shipping. I have that factored in.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 41
latest reply

Why is it every one of my sales goes to San Diego , Loredo texas , Spokan Washington or like Miami 

Perhaps because you just names 3 of the 4 largest states, population-wise. 

for some reason eBay expects me to believe only people  on the west coast buy

The fact that neither Florida nor Texas are on the west coast undermines your credibility.  

FWIW I am in New England and my last 10 sales were to CA, NJ, MD, CT, MI, PA, NC, WA and AZ. 

Message 15 of 41
latest reply