cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half of my listings have zero views :( What to do?

I have about 610 listings and half of them have zero views. Some items have been listed for several years. Is there anything I should be doing to get these items moving? I have lowered the price. Should I continue to keep lowering the price? 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Your preowned clothing prices are high compared to competitors.

Have you searched Terapeak to see sold prices of comps?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

The more desirable the item, the more views (and sales) it will get.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@zztop11 

I have lowered the price. Should I continue to keep lowering the price? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. I would cut the price by 20% for all with no views for a month, then 30% and so on, and once they start to be a liability, I would donate them, I am going thru this right now to make room for new merchandise.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Depends on your goal.

Selling brought me a lot of joy (and profit) for years. But I am tired now and refuse to leave my kiddos things that millennials, GenZ and Alphas (I got kids in all 3 of these) DO NOT WANT. I am moving through items quickly. When I don't see views, I offer it up locally or donate. I am trashing more of what I would consider still "useable" than ever before. My kids don't want the same things I did. If punctuation triggers people now, they do not need my home decor.

Do what you can and move on. Life's short.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Your prices for "used clothing" are extremely high.   If you want to sell these items you should add "best offer" option to your listing.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

It depends a lot on what the item is. I go through dead stock on occasion and have tired several things. 

1. Tweak the title to help with possible search improvement. 

2. Adjust the price and offer free shipping. 

3. Bundle like items. 

4. Use different pictures.

5. Try a different category

6. Use different venues generally local ones like CL or FB but other ecommerce sites also work.

7. Consign to a local consignment store. 

8. Donate the item and take the tax write-off. 

9. Bin the item for the annual garage sale. 

I diversified across multiple platforms and venues long ago and eBay now only accounts for about 20% of my sales. There are simply too many options out there for buyers and you have to target multiple market places. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

All of the replies I've read are good ideas, but they have limited results.  If your listings are years old, that is likely the major issue, along with price.

eBay's default sort for Search results is Best Match.  BM looks at many things, and one of the important things it looks at is time-since-last-sale.  Once you get beyond 90 days or so, especially in competitive categories, your listing will rank lower and lower and lower in the results.  Low rank = low visibility = low possibility for a sale.

What I've been doing for several months now, as time permits, is ending a group of listings, and then reposting after reviewing the listing for issues as @dbfolks166mt listed.  I'll do a quick update to the title (we've had more than a few temporary, as in they didn't stay around long, employees doing posting), check the description and images (remove mfg 'catalog' text and images and replace with our own), check the category and Item Specifics, and of course recheck pricing.  The longer something has been sitting, the more 'off' the price will likely be.

Once I'm happy with the review, the listings are reposted.  Generally, I see about a 10-20% sale rate within the first 10 days of repost - actual rate depends a lot on category.  But it moves this old stock.

Even with all the power SixBit (my eBay mgmt tool) offers, this still takes a bit of time, which is why I do this only on a time permitting basis -- listing new stock is still our best money-maker. 🙂

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

End the listings and relist using sell similar, and maybe update item specifics and descriptions while you're at it. The longer an item sits, the more ebay will bury it and hide it from potential buyers.

The reality is we're all at the mercy of ebay's algorithms, and ebay just isnt going to give you views on everything anymore.

I too have hundreds upon hundreds of listings that haven't had a view in months, some never a single view at all.

The only way to get more views is to give everything away practically for free, that's what ebay wants us all to do. If you offer out of this world prices, ebay will magically surface your listings to potential buyers.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Did you research any of your prices?  New Light thingy with pods is about $35-45/free ship.......yours, used, about $35 +13 shipping to me.  Your Harry Potter set about double of others.....

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

"The only way to get more views is to give everything away practically for free, that's what ebay wants us all to do."

I've been considering this for a long time, and while eBay's primary advice is to lower prices, I don't think they realize (you would be astonished at how little some C-suites truly understand about the business they run) that constantly lowering prices only reduces the commission eBay earns.  Even the paid promotional services are based on a percentage of sale price.... so the lower the price, the lower the commission.

Personally, I think eBay should spend more effort on grabbing eyeballs and engaging buyers, good buyers, PAYING buyers, and less on all the fee-based side shows.  Raising engagement, bringing more buyers to the site, will not only bring back buyer revenue, it will also bump up eBay's revenue.

Buy hey, I'm just part of the 'noise', as one C-suite stuffed shirt once said.  THAT attitude, especially at that level, should be grounds for immediate termination... WITHOUT your parachute, regardless of it's color.  If you don't respect the people who pay your salary, you're in the wrong business.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Did you research any of your prices?  New Light thingy with pods is about $35-45/free ship.......yours, used, about $35 +13 shipping to me.  Your Harry Potter set about double of others.....

That's why old, stale listings need to be ended and relisted as new... pricing gets out of whack, keywords change, and Best Match placement/exposure is affected by both.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 12 of 12
latest reply