cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Need buyers email for Insurance Claim

So I'm filling out an insurance claim for an item that was not delivered.

The form requires the Buyer's email address for an online Affadavit. Problem is that ebay deletes the buyers email from the 'Order Details' 14 days after purchase. It has been 21 days, so the email address no longer appears. How am I supposed to get the buyers email??

(ebay 'contact buyer' form automatically blocks any exchange of emails

Thanks for any assistance!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: HELP! Need buyers email for Insurance Claim

Ok,  Gorilla Marketing 101:  Make a data base of all your customers contact info separate from ebay.  I use a pen and pad or input it straight into my customer data base the minute I finish shipping their item. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I am currently also going through a USPS insurance claim with a buyer that has been way more than helpful. Despite policy I asked the buyer for his email address through a email message but explained in detail in the message that the insurance claim required his personal email address. I had tried to use the eBay one but the USPS form would not take it. 

I also have his phone number from the eBay orders detail and we have exchanged texts and phone calls on several occasions working through the USPS claim. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I think I found a way around your problem. 

Go to Seller Hub, ORDER (select CONTACT BUYER).   Screen will be "grayed out" (means you cannot contact them yet).   On this same page (top right of screen) you will see Buyer Name and Feedback Score.   Click on BUYER NAME and go (top right of screen) click on CONTACT MEMBER (now you can send text to your customer).

Because you are not allowed to exchange email.   You should instruct customer  to should email like this:

maryjones gmail

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

thanks, that is what I usually do to contact the buyer. It really is just ridiculous that the system auto blocks out the email when you request it. Of course the buyer gets all weirded out because they think you're doing something shady. Very frustrating 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

In Seller Hub, under Archived Orders (which is where I send all completed orders) I can see 6 weeks worth of buyers email addresses still.  After 6 weeks they disappear.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

good tip for next orders, thanks

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

numisnorway
Trailblazer

My mail courier requires an email and i prefer to have it for such instances, but ebay in their extreme foresight removed it. Tried discussing it here a while back, but all i got was how it was a "good change" because the ingrown users who can not see ebay do anything wrong thought it would be horrible if their email got used for spam, which in most email clients is automatically filter, but i guess they are too dumb to use features that are enabled by default.

The real reason they removed it is of course that they fear it will make them lose profits. Ironically such draconian measures only makes them less relevant.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I honestly don't get how people are handling insurance claims without any buyer contact info such as phone number or email??? Isn't it a common issue? I certainly can't be the only one.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

You are not the only one having the issue. In my numerous years selling on eBay I have had to file three claims with USPS. I had major issues with communication on the first one because I had to learn how to navigate around eBay to get the information I needed for the USPS claim. The last two have been pretty easy based on prior experience. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@velvetfinch wrote:

So I'm filling out an insurance claim for an item that was not delivered.

The form requires the Buyer's email address for an online Affadavit. Problem is that ebay deletes the buyers email from the 'Order Details' 14 days after purchase. It has been 21 days, so the email address no longer appears. How am I supposed to get the buyers email??

Phone them up (or text them) and ask. While eBay does remove the email address after 14 days, the buyer's phone number remains on the Order Details page.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply